April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN May 2016 "Fallen" - WIPs

18 May 2016 20:24 #13783 by Valence
Hi, Jessie. :)

Cherry: That's coming along nicely with the extra narrative details and having the face peep through the dark wings is really moody and matches the expression. A little touch of warmth on the nose will look good when you start to smooth out the skin.

Hansnomad: That's a very well structured drawing. You've defined all those tricky planes of the anatomy and it looks like a really solid three dimensional body. Looking forward to more!

Tyl: I love the pose in this, especially how the line of the wings is extended down through the arms ending in that cross that adds a bit of tension. At one point I wasn't sure if the torso was a touch too long but I think it'll work and that length does help emphasize the implied curve of the spine.
But that purple/cyan colour combo is a visual treat for the eyes! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 May 2016 13:13 #13784 by CherryGraphics
Hi Jessie! :woohoo: Nice to see you again here!

And thanks a lot Val and Jessie :) I polished my painting a bit - but I want this to have a painterly style so I guess this is the right amount.
Played with blues and reds and some heaven-reminded stars and cropped it a bit.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

20 May 2016 14:15 #13785 by Tyl
Replied by Tyl on topic CGAN May 2016 "Fallen" - WIPs
Valence: You’re right about the anatomy, it's off. When it feels wrong it probably is. Tweaking and deforming doesn't work. There is no quick fix. I flipped the image to have a fresh view and drawn a skeleton as a guide. Now I see clearly what needs to be changed.
Cherry: Great improvements.

Attachments:

20 May 2016 20:03 #13786 by Valence
Tyl: That line drawing does look better. Just a bit of cut and paste on that rear end should do the trick. I always prefer a quick transform to a repaint! :blush:

Cherry: Nice use of red on the birds wings. It's a good choice to go against the blue/green surroundings and the whole picture is an interesting contrast to your usual brighter style of painting. Keep exploring that dark side! :evil:

22 May 2016 07:25 - 22 May 2016 09:09 #13790 by microscopi
I wasn't going to join in this month, but I got to sketchin today and came up with this, seemed like a bit of order from chaos, fallen spaceship, stranded on a desolate class 'F' planet :evil:

I think i always struggle with the placement of environment objects and getting stuck with the jagged rocks already, I also used the metallic texture from robocop and spread it out over the vehicle so it might look familiar! :lol:

Attachments:

22 May 2016 12:02 #13792 by Valence
That's a nice variation on the theme, micro. And those vivid reds look great, giving the impression of a very harsh atmosphere.
Hope you get time to develop and finish. :)

23 May 2016 23:31 #13798 by SchizophreniaWolf
Attachments:

24 May 2016 15:02 #13802 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic CGAN May 2016 "Fallen" - WIPs
Cherry: The red addition is really nice - helps push those blacks back and the cyan to the fore.

Tyl: Much better now on that anatomy - she also occupies 'space' a lot more realistically too. I wish I could construct figures this accurately in 3D space.

Micro: I was thinking of something similar to yours but chickened out due to the technical implications of it. Go for it dude! A very atmospheric start.

Schizo: I'm not going to even bother, it's just awesome.

A little bit more from me - the show season has now begun in earnest and we're launching our new summer lines on the website so I'm getting less and less time to concentrate on this now - I'm determined to get something up this month though.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

25 May 2016 11:26 #13803 by Tyl
Replied by Tyl on topic CGAN May 2016 "Fallen" - WIPs
Atto: The rendering looks great. The metal really drags the attention to the right spot.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

26 May 2016 22:40 - 26 May 2016 22:50 #13807 by microscopi
Everybody's update is looking great so far! :cheer: :woohoo: :cheer: Im just going to focus on detail to make everything solid then i'm done! B)

Atto really spot on with the character pose and anatomy. The clothing looks great, and I agree about the highlight on his shoulder, the realism really draws your eye to his expression of torture. :woohoo:

Wolf, the detail you have in yours this month is awesome, you can be awesome with lighter subjects too! :P

Cherry, she looks so realistic with her expression, you really nailed it, almost like she is someone I know in life :woohoo: The colors go really well with the mood, cooler tones make it seem darker more somber.

Tyl, I really like the purple hue on your pic and the overall pose you chose for the anatomy, very difficult with the arms outstretched like that and her arched back. I almost think she would look cooler with the skeleton under painting! :cheer:

Attachments: