April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN May 2016 "Fallen" - WIPs

28 May 2016 03:31 - 28 May 2016 03:43 #13810 by hansnomad
Wow--some really impressive progress for everyone. I've fallen a bit behind (sketching it out took longer than I wanted it to). Started painting (just under painting at the moment). This is the most coherent sketch before I started to put down color (no stitches on his back yet). I'll have to really push to finish on time (how unusual) :unsure:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 May 2016 06:55 - 28 May 2016 07:32 #13811 by microscopi
Hey Hans, that's a great start, really like the pose a lot, his expression seems perfect for contemplation, meditation B) :pinch: The clean solid strokes really make it seem balanced especially with the lines inside detail, really well put together! :woohoo: I was just thinking it would look interesting to add more books by his butt, so it can overlap his buttocks on the edge of the rock. :cheer:
Just adding more detail to mine, its going to be more like a flying car type ship, I guess.. :X I didn't do much to mine, just explaining the plot more!

Attachments:

28 May 2016 12:08 #13812 by Valence
Arriving very late to this party it seems.
I wasted a day or two last week trying to do a fallen dragon. But I really can't draw dragons so it quietly went away. ;)
So I tried a different kind of sketch yesterday. Seeing as everyone else's pics are dark and moody I thought I'd go the opposite way and do a kind of so-cute-it's-creepy children's illustration of a big eyed girl catching a fallen star, watched by a mildly surprised owl, along with a couple of other predictable tropes. :)

I'll try to put in some extra work over the weekend to see if I can finish in time.

Micro: Great texture in that. Just needs a bit more light and shade to develop the form a little more clearly.

Hansnomad: The sketch looks really good with all that extra detail. Can't wait for colour!
Attachments:

28 May 2016 19:19 #13813 by microscopi
Val, that's definitely a different style then your usual but I must admit it has it's charm. Sort of reminds me of Sarah Silverman if she were a younger much smaller cartoon person :woohoo: I keep looking at her as if she were pushed back more into the environment with a hill in the foreground, but that's because I always like those atmospheric depth type pics. :P

I admit have to clean up the messy lines so my shapes make more sense, I seem to get stuck trying to pick the perfect direction to go in, like there's a real solution as if it's a math problem, but I have to be confident on what I pick to look the best.

28 May 2016 19:31 #13814 by Valence
I've been checking out various animated movies for reference today and Sarah Silverman was Vanellope in Wreck It Ralph. I'd be more than happy if it looked like that. But the face seems to be going in a different direction at the moment. I was initially hoping to get that kind of style you see in those Bobby Chiu/Kei Acedera pictures but I think I'll fall well short.
The owl's going well though. :)

29 May 2016 17:27 #13816 by microscopi
They say artists don't gather nearly enough reference, so you're doing good! Have you seen that Sarah Silverman move, I Smile Back, pretty intense for her but she is supposed to suffer from depression in real life.

I love Bobby Chiu's style, the evil grey care bear is pretty sadistic lol, it's about time someone did that, I was tortured by that show!

Although his style does have a 3D element to it, so maybe you can zbrush it up, or go for realistic lighting for the final, that could give it that 3D simulated look.! :woohoo:

29 May 2016 17:38 - 29 May 2016 17:43 #13817 by hansnomad
microscopi: I'm getting a really cool vibe from yours (it's like Syd Mead had a head-on collision with Leroy Neiman) Really liking the unique style. Adding more books to mine is a good idea, but I'm too far along now and just trying to finish it.

Here's a couple of WIPs. This first one is me just throwing colors under the drawing (just a detail, not the whole piece). Couldn't decide the color of the sky, so it looks like mud on that first WIP.

The second it's much farther along and a closer detail on the back skin I'm trying to make realistic as well as the surgical scar of the removed wing. Had to look at references for that one (and that was quite unpleasant).

Attachments:

30 May 2016 00:14 #13821 by Valence
Hansnomad: That scar looks suitably gruesome and the livid red fits perfectly with the skin tones. And I'm liking the warm light on the shoulder.

Here's a bit more of my terrifyingly twee little girl. *shudder*
A lot of this weekend work was done on my tablet so it looks a little too scribbly in a fat finger way. Hopefully I'll be able to sharpen and solidify the details and edges tomorrow on my PC.

In the end I want it to have the full "book cover" look with text ... if I can find the right font.
I wish I'd had more time to try out some different designs for faces, expressions and clothing but its my own fault for starting late so I'm stuck with what I've got.
Attachments:

30 May 2016 13:00 #13822 by SchizophreniaWolf
nice paints everyone!

hihi Valence, that cute! I like it. :kiss:

hey hansnomad, good to have you back!

so I finished this time! and the crowd goes wild!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle: :woohoo: :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :woohoo: :woohoo: Last thing I did is change te colors here and there, I like monochromatic, desaturated paintings, but i thought of adding some bright color, to make it a bit more intens. Hope you all like it!

Attachments:

30 May 2016 15:24 #13824 by hansnomad
Wolf: Nice to be back. Love the color changes you made (limited color palette for the win), it really sets off the figure in the foreground and remains utterly terrifying. I try to limit my colors but I fail all the time (LOL). Can't resist all the shiny color options.
Valence: Great color work--and the look on her face is both cute and unsettling (that's hard to pull off). She reminds me of the little racer girl in Wreck-it-Ralph.
Tyl: I like everything about yours at this point. Leave it alone!
Atto: Yours is probably the most dramatic entry. You can actually feel the figure struggling and in pain (great face). Hold on to those limited colors--they are working well for you.
Cherry: Very haunting portrait. Is there any significance to the crow? I like adding crows to some of my pieces, just because they add an air of mystery, and they're just cool-looking birds.

Below is another WIP detail. My original scar (as much as I liked it), was getting lost in the painting. I opted for a slightly more gruesome look, like the wings were burned or ripped off. It reads better when you see the whole thing. Almost done.

Also, in case you find it useful, I've been using some of the Photoshop brushes from this site (pixelstains.net/category/downloads/). It has one of the most useful collection of textured brushes anywhere.
Attachments: