April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Zodiac Challenge - Leo - WIPs

01 Jul 2015 09:06 #11588 by Charlotte
Leo (23rd July - 22nd August)

The zodiac challenge will aim to run for the entire zodiac year and work with the timescale of each zodiac sign. This is a 'just for fun' challenge, but you will have a lovely set of horoscope images if you choose to take part. Kazky will be the main moderator for these challenges so contact her if you have questions or issues.

NOTE: The challenge began on the Imagine FX forums and sort of "died off" after moving here. It is now restarted approximately where we last left off. No finals were posted for the last Leo challenge but some WIPs were. In accordance with our usual challenge rules those previous WIPs do not count for the current challenge. New work will have to be made. Also, since we're a bit "early" for Leo, the challenge will close on August 1st, followed by a vote.

We will be sticking to the western zodiac, apologies to other zodiacs :)
Research each sign and depict it however you interpret it.

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jul 2015 07:40 #11626 by CherryGraphics
hip hip hurray :woohoo: (I thought this would be open again at the end of july but hey.. doesn't matter I'm here :D )

I researched the zodiac signs a bit to decide if I want to draw them in their original story or something like this or if I'm going to paint them all just like I think.

But the stories are awesome so I'll set my paintings in the mystical meaning. I really want to have a belonging-together-feeling. :)

So here's my first WIP of LEO.
My research said the lion was one who couldn't be defeated by Hercules. The lion from the never ending story came to my mind. Graógramán, the colorful death, carries the desert in him so his fur is colored. I want to mix the two lions :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

02 Jul 2015 09:06 #11627 by Charlotte
We did say end of June :) However, Cancer has already been done and won so I fugured we'd start over with Leo. The deadline *might* be extended so that the challenges eventually line up with the actual dates of the zodiac but if so and by how much, I'll leave to kazky to decide. :)

Nice start btw! I don't remember any lions from never ending story but I like the idea of mixing up one's influences :)

02 Jul 2015 10:07 #11628 by CherryGraphics

I don't remember any lions from never ending story

Well I guess you're one of them who didn't read the book and just watched the movies, hm? ^^

When the first film ends, the book begins somehow. When Bastian saved the childlike empress (or how she is named in other languages ^^) he gets the ability to renew phantasia. There is a lovely colorful night-wood called Perelín. With dawn the wood changes into the sand of the colored desert where the lion lives. And when it's evening the lion turns to stone and Perelin rises again.

It's one of the best parts in the story but the movie maker just forgot it :huh: :ohmy:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

02 Jul 2015 11:51 #11630 by Charlotte
Busted.... I never read the book, no :P

02 Jul 2015 12:13 #11631 by CherryGraphics
Shame on you! :P :P :P

Facebook / Behance

02 Jul 2015 12:57 - 02 Jul 2015 12:58 #11632 by Digital Dave

I don't remember any lions from never ending story

Well I guess you're one of them who didn't read the book and just watched the movies, hm? ^^

When the first film ends, the book begins somehow. When Bastian saved the childlike empress (or how she is named in other languages ^^) he gets the ability to renew phantasia. There is a lovely colorful night-wood called Perelín. With dawn the wood changes into the sand of the colored desert where the lion lives. And when it's evening the lion turns to stone and Perelin rises again.

It's one of the best parts in the story but the movie maker just forgot it :huh: :ohmy:

Well these spoiler just ruined both the book & movie in one shot! :P ... Actually I did start watching the movie a while back, but something came up and I don't recall watching it to the end. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

03 Jul 2015 07:11 #11651 by CherryGraphics
sorry dave :ohmy: But it's a great book and a nice film so go on watching it :D

And just one thought: As I want to take part in both challenges - the monthly and the zodiac - it would be nice to have 2 deadlines - it could be a little bit stressful at the end of the month.... :blush:

Facebook / Behance

07 Jul 2015 13:13 #11690 by CherryGraphics
Time for an update :)

Next step will be the spirits who exude the magic, so that the lion is invincible. :)

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

08 Jul 2015 00:52 #11693 by microscopi
That looks fantastic Cherry :cheer: Perspective of the lion is interesting, that sketch is really great, I like the expession of the lions face on the sketch more though, he seems wiser. Great colors so far really make him stand out from the background!

I had an idea in mind for this one too, it's definitely inspired from yours though, hope that's okay!