March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Zodiac Challenge - Leo - WIPs

19 Jul 2015 16:53 #11812 by Mercurycat
Cheers Microscopi. I like how your lion is coming on, can't wait to see it progress.

Here is my next WIP with some rough lighting and a background.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jul 2015 03:42 - 21 Jul 2015 03:49 #11814 by microscopi
Thanks Mercury, yours is progressing great, the background has a lot of depth to it, the lighting from the sun really comes across on the lions, look forward to see your progress too.

I searched a few images online and got inspired by some other zodiac artists, I was sort of hoping this is looking different but the same sort of idea in mind, so I came up with this. I think it's looking good so just going to keep the gold color theme and add some subtle colors and detail everything more.

Attachments:

22 Jul 2015 01:35 #11816 by Valence
Mercurycat: I really like the little cub stretching its neck up. And the whole colour scheme is working well and looking unified.

Micro: That's some nice stylization and symbolism going on there with the frame and the sun, and the gold looks super shiny and convincing. I always find it hard to stop it looking like dull yellow but you've got the proper metallic appearance here.

23 Jul 2015 20:38 #11824 by Valence
Seeing as I'm struggling with my composition in the Mad Hatter challenge I thought I'd throw some colour on this sketch. I'm not overly impressed by the sky gradient (smooth transitions are always beyond my skill) and it looked a little pale for the night scene that I wanted (controlling dark tones also seems to be beyond my skill!:)) So I tweaked the levels a little (perhaps too much) for the second version posted below and that now looks closer to what I'd envisioned.
I'm now gonna take it into Photoshop to clean up some of the ropey bits, perhaps work the details a little more and then add the star field and constellation in the sky.

Attachments:

24 Jul 2015 02:23 #11825 by microscopi
Val I think the blue color scheme is a great direction to go in, night scene with stars and nebula in the sky above would look great too, maybe a constallation ? Some ideas for you, also the lion is better on the 2nd wip, although he looks great in both, you did a great job with the detail, and it's not even a ref, admire you for that.

I tidied up mine a bit, I'm trying to add some colors, but all i can think of is green for vines and maybe some flowers, I hate drawing flowers tho! :P

Attachments:

24 Jul 2015 06:31 - 24 Jul 2015 06:34 #11826 by CherryGraphics
hey guys there's a lot of really good progress since I looked last. :D Val I also think the second one is the better one because it has more vibrance (And you all know I love vibrant colors ^^) and saturation. Just a thought his left (actually his right^^) paw looks a little bit ... clumsy. a bit more shaping would be nice I guess :)

micro: great addition of the gold and the fire and everything else! :) so this would be your scheme, mh? fire for the fiery zodiac, water for the water zodiac, ... ? cool idea!

mercurycat: I really adore this style of you :) it's such a lovely, peaceful scene! the colors and especially the lighting works really well.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

24 Jul 2015 21:00 #11827 by Valence
Micro: Nice work with the lettering and the fire. It's coming together nicely.
And just to clarify, as mentioned in my previous sketch post I DID use two refs for my lion, one for the body and one for the head and if you google "roaring lion" you'll probably find at least one on the first page. :) I have no patience when trying to find refs (horrible chore it is) and I usually use the first things I can find :lol:
Spent an hour or so today fixing the sky gradient in photoshop and I'm happier. Still have to fix that big paw (thanks for noticing that Cherry) and I've realised I may have to extend the canvas at the top in order to fit in the correct constellation. Must be astronomically accurate, science pedant that I am. :)

25 Jul 2015 10:58 #11833 by Digital Dave
These are all coming along quite nice! :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

27 Jul 2015 17:33 #11854 by Charlotte
There's now a finals thread for the zodiac challenge too.

Since kazky is busy IRL (looking for her pet parrot that's now been missing for a whole month! :( ) I guess I'm the one to determine whether the challenge should run longer than Aug. 1st, as was proposed earlier. Do you guys feel you need a bit longer to avoid having two deadlines at almost the same time?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

28 Jul 2015 00:09 #11863 by Valence
Hope the parrot flies back home soon.

Regarding the challenge, having already posted my final it makes no difference to me either way this month but a bit of leeway for late starters would be perfectly acceptable. For future months it may be a good idea to stagger the deadlines by a couple of weeks so that when one finishes you still have time to make a start on the other.
The downside of that would probably be more work for the mods having to set things up in the middle of the month, and there is a simplicity to having one deadline and one countdown that makes it easy for everyone to understand and remember.