May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Bergy68's WIP's...Smithvright

19 Aug 2014 02:11 - 21 Aug 2014 22:27 #5352 by bergy68
So I decided to take a small break from my Comic. Until I get some more art board and inking supplies. In my sketchbook thread I posted a sketch of an Alien from Aliens. Decided it was time to practice painting again. My goal here is a textured painterly feel. The best way I can describe the look I'm after would be similar to one of my favorite comic book artists Sam Keith.
I'm using PS5. I dont know a lot about creating texture brushes so I know Ill need help in this area.

Any help is always appreciated ;)

Here is the Line Art I just finished tracing off my original pencil drawing.

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Aug 2014 02:22 #5353 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Bergy68's WIP's
Line work is looking great. Look forward to seeing it develop too. I only have a couple textured brushes myself, but only use about 10 or 12 in total anyway. The couple I have look like a type of sponge, though I can't recall where I got them from. But I'm sure there's some here that could lend some advice on some. May even be able to share some good ones. Kaz even put up a section on the lower end here for sharing stuff like brushes, etc.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

19 Aug 2014 04:17 #5354 by bergy68
Replied by bergy68 on topic Bergy68's WIP's
Thanks Dave. Ill keep an eye out.

Started adding in color .

File Attachment:

19 Aug 2014 05:33 #5357 by bergy68
Replied by bergy68 on topic Bergy68's WIP's...Alien

19 Aug 2014 15:33 #5370 by Kodabble
Replied by Kodabble on topic Bergy68's WIP's...Alien
Alien is looking really good, though I hope you get your supplies soon to you can continue the comic.
Not really good at creating brushes either. The ones I have were mostly form the the ones supplied from the IFX magazine free disks/ resources.

19 Aug 2014 23:07 #5390 by bergy68
I do as well Kodabble, and thank-you. I might be moving into a new place Sept. 1st, if I do supplies will have to wait till mid Sept. early October :(

20 Aug 2014 01:37 #5405 by Kodabble
Replied by Kodabble on topic Bergy68's WIP's...Alien
Ouch!!! :ohmy:

20 Aug 2014 12:19 #5419 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Bergy68's WIP's...Alien

Ouch!!! :ohmy:

Indeed!

That's like asking a cook to make a meal without any ingredients.

This is looking wonderful Bergy! I really like your initial sketch and just how much it has progressed in just a few posts. Stylised stuff is ace. This community seems to feature quite a few very unique visual style that keep me enthused and amused!

I am a fan of your work sir!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

20 Aug 2014 21:32 #5438 by bergy68
Thank you so much Dom. I couldn't agree with you more on all the unique styles and looks here. Maybe that's the great thing about a young site such as this. The diversity doesn't seem to blend in as much as the larger sites. Although I hope for the ones who started this site that It does grow. :)

Not a serious Ouch for me :P If you new where I lived now you'd be as thrilled as I am to be moving. What it means here is more art on a more regular basis eventually. My current place is just a room with Zero space for my art. All the work you've seen over the last 4 1/2 years has all been done outside of my place. Usually in a coffee shop :blink: I can't wait to set a home studio again it's been way way to long. So in the end art supplies are being sacrificed so I can produce even more work! :woohoo:

Update close to calling this one done I think. I created some texture brushes by sampling some of Sam Keith's ink work. Surprisingly I'm actually kind of happy with the result. What'chya all think?

File Attachment:

20 Aug 2014 22:44 #5442 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Bergy68's WIP's...Alien
This is ace.

I wish I could be more wordy, but I think that says it all!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!