May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Tilda

30 Aug 2014 23:52 #5751 by em...
Replied by em... on topic Tilda
Thanks, folks.

The logging in issue I had for a while seems to have been rectified, so I can add some more here:

A hastily done young Dustin Hoffman

Sylvester Stallone

Spike Lee

Devon Aoki

Nick Nolte

Kurt Russell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Aug 2014 10:54 #5759 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Tilda
The Kurt Russell is brilliant! What prompted the change in style for the Devon Aoki piece and the Spike Lee piece?

It is refreshing to see a different take on the more typical types of caricature.

Is this a preview of a new direction for you em...?

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

31 Aug 2014 12:07 #5763 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Tilda
Cool updates, em... They all look great.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

31 Aug 2014 14:50 #5774 by em...
Thanks, Dave.

Dom - the Devon Aoki and Spike Lee were done for challenges on the Face Laboratory facebook page, where the purpose is to produce caricatures with a more experimental and/or design basis. Although the more "painterly" approach is my default/natural style, I do like to mix it up.

31 Aug 2014 21:35 #5788 by Domtopia
I think it's really creative and interesting doing caricatures in different styles like this. We should have more of these types of challenges in the challenges thread.

It seems rare when we do portraits in general, but having them styled and themed in say Russian poster art, art Deco or nouveau, or cubism (as in the case of Spike) would be a really interesting and enriching exercise!

I would really like to see more of this new breadth in your work em... I think you are on to something!

01 Sep 2014 02:36 #5798 by em...
Cheers, Dom

Here's something I originally started back in 2010, but just got round to finishing today - The Rock

Attachments:

01 Sep 2014 14:12 #5818 by Domtopia
Brilliant!

It actually reminds me of later Tom and Jerry cartoons, when Tom started appearing in the MGM logo at the start of the episodes. Everything seemed to take on this new, clean-edge look. I seem to recall loony toons doing the same thing.

04 Sep 2014 16:22 - 04 Sep 2014 16:23 #5908 by em...
It's an unusual analogy, but I think I get what you mean.

The original Tom & Jerry cartoon had a more rounded look, and were more fluid and rubbery (for want of a better word) in the movements:

But the later Tom & Jerry cartoons were more angular and stylised in both look and motion:

Those later ones were made under the direction of Chuck Jones, who had been one of the most successful and famous directors of the Warner Bros' Looney Tunes before that. I'm guessing it's his style that you were alluding to.

As a kid, and before I was aware of the different directors, I always preferred the Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons to the older ones; and it turned out that a very high proportion of the Looney Toons that had had a lasting impression on me as a youngster were also directed by him.

Although I can't say there's a conscious attempt to bring any of his influence into my work, I have been a fan (unknowingly and knowingly) for most of my life, so it could very well have found its way in there.
Attachments:

04 Sep 2014 19:51 #5909 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Tilda
Fabulous work em...

Love the Devon Aoki - no idea who she is though. But don't worry I'll look her up.

04 Sep 2014 23:03 #5912 by Domtopia
I knew you would figure out what I was on about em...

The same was true of the backgrounds in later Tom and Jerry cartoons too. They took on a much more angular format and lost the beautiful painted background look of earlier episodes.

I absolutely love those early Tom and Jerry episodes and they form some of my most cherished childhood (and adulthood as I have every Tom and Jerry episode on dvd) memories. I am glad you understood what I was saying!!