May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

LRaphaelC's first steps into the online art world

20 Jul 2014 11:40 - 20 Jul 2014 11:51 #3556 by LRaphaelC
Hi there, this is my first post on the new forum, I was a member of the old one, but stayed more as a watcher than actually actively posting, so hopefully this time round I'll be a bit more active. I'm a student in the UK and recently got paid for my first piece of art, which was a pretty weird feeling, so I thought it time to join the online community and share some of my work. I'll try to put up finished work fairly regularly, hopefully studies won't get in the way of the fun art making.

This first piece was a something I started for fun at 2 in the morning in pencils then decided to colour in photoshop, It was really started as a study of stylised cloth, then I just kept going and woke up to find it under my head finished.

Hope people enjoy it, thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jul 2014 11:57 #3558 by Charlotte
Welcome to the forum!

Your image is looking quite interesting! I like all the colourful "folds" (especially the bit with skulls) but admit it took me a while to see a character in there! :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LRaphaelC

20 Jul 2014 12:04 #3560 by Digital Dave
Very nice work. I too had to look before seeing the figure, but think that's pretty neat that it kind of hides there in plain sight. (so to speak) ... And welcome, look forward to seeing more works. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

20 Jul 2014 12:14 #3562 by LRaphaelC
Thank you Charlotte and Dave for your kind words :).

I was a bit worried about it being unclear whilst I was drawing it so I thought I'd add a the small details (skulls etc) to try and intrigue the viewer into looking closer and then hopefully seeing the figure, I'm glad it worked somewhat.

20 Jul 2014 15:56 #3571 by em...
It's an intriguing piece, but I agree that the figure gets lost. It's very close in tone and colour to the background in general, and the smoky trails in particular, so it blends in with those rather than standing out.

20 Jul 2014 17:51 - 20 Jul 2014 17:51 #3590 by Domtopia
I think that the fact that the main character is hard to make out is a strong point to this image. It's ethereal, dream like.

Wonderful line work too, similar to Arthur Rackham's work. I think it's beautiful!!

Edit: Oh... Welcome to the CG art forums!!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

20 Jul 2014 23:16 #3615 by LRaphaelC
Here are some characters I made up for a game project, the idea was that each one had a disability of some description and that defines how hey are played in the game. I used pen and ink as a study of some of Yoji Shinkawa's metal gear solid art but tried to add some of my own style.

The first one is called Velequize, he's a physician who suffers from a degenerative neurological decease that makes him wheelchair bound. The idea of the wheel chair is that it uses neodymium magnets and glucose from his blood to power coils that allow the chair to float, now admittedly this system may not work currently, but theoretically it could, in the future, which, as luck would have it, is when the game is set.

The second is a mute woman called Syn, she fights with swords knives and a bladed fan.

And thirdly we have Xebec, he has no arms or legs after some pretty graphic torture he suffered at the hands of captors in his early youth, but he still has quite a cheery disposition, and a set of mechanical limbs. I justified their power source by having them borrow energy from secondary dimensions (again future so maybe physics says yes by then).

Please enjoy :)
Attachments:

21 Jul 2014 14:14 #3694 by Kodabble
Welcome.
I like Syn. Is she done in traditional ink or computer. Nice clean lines.
Also the owls in the first work are really great. Nice pencil work. Don't know if for this work it would help to bring up their contrast a little (Not to black) but as all the other line work is almost all black their line work is almost lost. I like pencil work too so I'd hate to have it too high a contrast, just a little more.

21 Jul 2014 16:05 #3704 by LRaphaelC
Thank you, yes it was done in traditional pen and ink painting, but then i took it into photoshop and cleaned it up and made all the blacks pure.

Ill try that with the owls, thanks :)

21 Jul 2014 20:52 #3765 by evilrobot
These are awesome. Reminds me of some of Jae Lee's stuff like on his Hell Shock comic. I love the colored piece all the designs and abstract shapes. I kind of like that it takes a minute to find the character......