May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN July 23 - The end of the Rainbow - Final entries

01 Jul 2023 19:54 - 11 Aug 2023 11:59 #46079 by Banj
The End of the Rainbow

Brief:
What is at the end of the rainbow? We will find out after you paint it in a wonderfully crafted image of visual splender... or whatever you can get done before the deadline. 

Deadline: Midnight on Monday the 31st of July. 

This thread is where you post your final entry, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-of-the-rainbow-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - CHARLOTTE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2023 12:57 - 11 Jul 2023 15:26 #46241 by Charlotte
OK so there's a bit of time left :dry: But I'm not sure I'll do much more. Or maybe I will once I post this and realise it looks stupid. If so, I have time to make changes. :stare: 

Edit: fixed as per Val's comment in WIP thread and a couple of spots he missed too. AND, why the heck did fiddling with the attachment remove my wip links??? :shakefist: 

Wips: 
1: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-of-the-rainbow-wips
2: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...e-rainbow-wips#46190
3+4: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...e-rainbow-wips#46201
5: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#46210

Final (hopefully)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

29 Jul 2023 18:57 #46497 by Valence
The "in-front-of-arrow" rainbow has remained even though it doesn't make sense. :dry:
Maybe it's like a video game where you hold the left trigger and it shows you the trajectory of where you're aiming. :lol:
Anyway...

Scribble.  
Clouds.  

And the final Rainbow Bow...

...unless I fiddle with it before the deadline.
Attachments:

30 Jul 2023 15:04 #46508 by Banj
Attachments:

01 Aug 2023 10:53 #46527 by Banj
Voting open. Time to vote for your favourite from the following entries:
  • Charlotte
  • Valence
  • Banj
Voting will close at midnight of the 8th and will be counted up and announced sometime after that if anyone remembers 

02 Aug 2023 17:32 #46543 by Valence
Two great pics to choose from this month.

There's so much going on in Banj's picture. When they're not invading your home your mice all have such distinct personalities. The one that's doing the work, the bossy-looking one that seems to be in charge staring up at the "hanger-on", the middle-manager that's giving a lecture to the other one that looks guilty and, of course, the "busy" one. And even though they have this variety they're all still rendered in a consistent style that makes the whole scenario more believable and makes me want to see the children's book that it should be a part of.

Meanwhile Charlotte's picture has such great design and execution. The suggestion of symmetry that's then broken in subtle ways by the weight of the pose and the varying mountain sizes creates a balance that's pleasing to the eye, but it's the control of saturated colour and their choices that really captures the gaze. The radiance of the the whole image is so impressive and makes it impossible to ignore. Also the delicate textures, both in the gradients and in the linework too, give it a painterly, artistic quality while also emphasizing the sense of stained glass.

So I think I'm gonna vote for Charlotte. Banj's amusing tin of PAIN-t was almost enough to win me over but I think that final bit of texture in Charlotte's pic elevates that one to be my winner.

Charlotte! :stare:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

02 Aug 2023 19:08 #46544 by Banj
It's a tough decision this month as I think they are both excellent. I think I am going to echo Valence and go with Charlotte's more graphic entry, but it's very close between them. 

02 Aug 2023 19:20 #46545 by Charlotte
:ohmy:

Well, I think it's a tough choice too. I like Val's pic, there is a very lovely atmospheric/light quality to it. The woman reminds me of Mrs Irwin for some reason. Probably the khaki clothes... But anyway I especially like how the shadow on the grass so clearly shows us that her foot is on the ground but her knee isn't. I guess if I was to nitpick a bit it'd be about the ocean waves not being diminished to a practically flat (if curved :dry: ) surface in the furthest distance...

And I like Banj's too, it's got that lovely playful children's book quality (that I wish you'd actually see in children's books. Seems to me most such books these days have crap art "because children can't tell" or "we should try to draw like 3 year olds so they feel like our equals" or whatever... it's a peeve. Not sure it's a pet peeve, but it's a peeve.) I disagree with Val on the lecturing little mouse. I'm pretty sure it's just gossiping. :aha: But I agree that it's fun to see all their different personalities shine through, and I also noticed the "pain can". I also noticed that one can seems to say "blue" but has a yellow dot on it :dry: and then there's the one with "ra" on it.... Umbra? Raw umber....? ORANGE! It's spilled orange paint, duh. :facepalm: Well, anyway, it's funny and I like the machine brand "Unicorn". Lots of little amusing detail all over :)

And my vote, I think, goes to Banj :)

11 Aug 2023 11:59 #46615 by Banj
Sorry for the delay, I have been distracted by a computer. Voting is over, and the winner is Charlotte. Congratulations Charlotte, and thank you for the vote 

11 Aug 2023 12:39 #46616 by Charlotte
You're welcome.

Were you distracted by your own computer, a family member's computer or a brand spanking new and shiny thing?

(Never mind that I completely forgot about the 8th, for no reason at all :dumb: )