April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN April 2015 Challenge - Me, Myself, and I

07 May 2015 09:06 #10552 by oaktree
1 Hobbyhorse
2 Aonodori
3 CherryGraphics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 May 2015 17:17 #10561 by jessie
1 Susie - I just love your style. And your expression makes me want to love snakes. Which I most certainly do not. The detail you put into the snakes had to require an amazing amount of patients and that is a quality I do not possess. Great job!

2 Cherry OH so much to see and admire in this piece! Love it!

3 aonodori Even though it's unfinished it still says all it needs to say. I love the concept and little creatures you added.

I loved everyone's entry but as far as portraits go the top 3 fit the challenge description the best.

A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person

10 May 2015 19:45 #10598 by Dragon6261

11 May 2015 07:56 #10607 by kazky
okay lets close this off

Aonodori - 7
Hobbyhorse - 15
CherryGraphics - 25
Susi1981 - 7
Jessi - 12
Microscopic
SchizophreniaWolf - 3
Edtuckerartist

Congratulations to Cherry! well done everyone
The following user(s) said Thank You: Banj

12 May 2015 05:09 #10618 by CherryGraphics
Awwww... thanks a lot guys :) :blush: :blush: :blush: :woohoo:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

12 May 2015 13:21 - 12 May 2015 13:22 #10621 by Valence
Congratulations Cherry! You seemed really motivated and excited by this challenge right from the start and all of that shows through in the final picture. Well Done.

Also just to clarify my earlier comments (with yet more long-winded comments!)
I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that some people's pictures weren't portraits (they all are!) merely that some work better than others when judged as portraits (and especially as self-portraits.) A great example being aonodori's where the portrayed character actually interacts with the viewer creating a really personal kind of two-way visual dialogue that is the holy grail of all portraiture. So when looking at a group of pictures I can pick which ones I subjectively like but judging them by more objective criteria can often produce a slightly different order.
And Schizo: Yes, I know of many people who would agree to me being a "pain in the ass" too, because I am! I have it printed on my business card! (well I would if I had a business card.) My tediously verbose ramblings were only an attempt to explain and justify my voting order and were not intended as a criticism, I was just trying to express that not being able to fit you (or any other particular person) in the points doesn't mean that I don't like that picture. And in your case I do like it and wouldn't change a single thing about it. It's bold and confrontational and like all your work it challenges the viewer and pushes at the limits of what we expect from the subject matter. In doing that you often take unorthodox risks and collectively your work is all the better for it. Sometimes it may not quite get the votes you feel it deserves but at the end of it all you have another terrific picture to put in a portfolio that stands up independently in it's own right without making reference to the challenges it was created from. So don't ever compromise that vision of yours or stop taking those risks.
If you do I'll set my killer drones on to you! (But mine aren't as scary.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: CherryGraphics

12 May 2015 13:43 #10624 by jessie
Congrats Cherry! :D

I second what Valence said. Because I'm awesome like that. :evil:

12 May 2015 22:37 - 12 May 2015 22:38 #10631 by microscopi
Way to go Cherry !!! :woohoo: :cheer: I really do think that's the best pic i've seen you paint, and it's not because it's about pretty you, it's really well painted, all the details are so well done and really fit together so well as a whole, I don't have any crits, great piece to be able to put in your portfolio as Valence suggested. Speaking of Valence, are you sure you're not also a writer, you have a way with words.
Pss I made a point of having only two 'c's in my name for a reason, no guy wants to be described as microscopic lmao !

13 May 2015 12:05 #10638 by Charlotte
Congrats Cherry! :) :woohoo:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

14 May 2015 12:29 #10642 by hobbyhorse
Well done Cherry great piece.

micro- I think you're right about Valence

Valence- If you don't write 'stories' you must write mundane stuff for your job...it shows :)