April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Aaaarrrghh! (computer issues)

24 Aug 2017 11:52 #17782 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Aaaarrrghh! (computer issues)
It should show a list of restore points that were created, you just pick one that was yesterday and it restores everything to that point.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Aug 2017 11:56 #17783 by Charlotte
uh. I only have one and it's before the last issue with bluestacks was resolved... :cry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

24 Aug 2017 12:52 #17784 by Digital Dave
I concur with Banj, it sounds like something may have been jumbled with an update or install since it was working yesterday. But, just another thought... Have you checked that the other monitor didn't just go out? Reason I ask is that I've heard some mention their monitor wasn't recognized, only to find that the extended monitor actually had just stopped working. If so, do you have a way to test it with another setup?

Just a thought.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

24 Aug 2017 12:55 #17785 by Banj
Wasn't that yesterday?

24 Aug 2017 13:03 #17786 by Charlotte
Not sure how to test it, Dave - it does lit up if I press the power on/off switch but then says it gets no input. (So it's not totally dead, at least)

and no Banj, the FIX was yesterday. The problem with bluestacks started on the 18th and that's the date of the restore point...

:unsure:

24 Aug 2017 13:16 #17787 by Banj
And what was the fix that happened on the day before your monitor stopped being recognised by windows but is in no way connected in any way whatsoever at all? :hmm:

24 Aug 2017 13:20 #17788 by Charlotte
well, I play the tribez on bluestacks, but when I updated bluestacks (the 18th) it restarted the game from scratch. The fix was that the game was restored to my actual progress... (which was done my game techs on their end, not on my machine... but if I go back to a restore point back where bluestacks was giving me grief I might have to ask them for help all over again. For the third time.)

24 Aug 2017 13:29 #17789 by Digital Dave
Unfortunately I'm only on Windows 7 here at work, yeah, they suck with keeping up. :P

But if you go to Control panel, Display, and then Change the appearance of your displays, will it at least identify the two monitors? Clicking identify should show large numbers on the screens, showing which is identified as 1 and 2 which can be switched if you like.
Sample...

Or if you want, make sure you use the Extend these displays

If so, can you go into Multiple displays and switch the display setting? It should state options such as this...

You could try something like; Show desktop only on 2 you will at least know if the monitor works. But if it doesn't you will have to switch it back to Show desktop only on 1

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

24 Aug 2017 14:04 - 24 Aug 2017 14:05 #17790 by Charlotte
well that's how it used to look. But now it's "settings - system - display" and it gives me this:

or, if I use the Fn F3, I get a "slide in from the right" thingy with options of projecting it "on this PC", on two screens etc... Though nothing happens when I use it.

Come to think of it, after a previous update my File Explorer kept pretending it was open when it wasn't (and I could "close" it by right clicking the icon on the task bar - it seemed to "reopen" everytime I got a battery alert though...) and now I keep getting sound notifications from a game inspite of the game being closed and the notifications turned off :? EDIT - and I was going to mention how the file explorer stopped pretending...

I hate it when computers go all wonky. They should just WORK. Period.
I guess I need to try that restore point after all...

Attachments:

24 Aug 2017 14:06 - 24 Aug 2017 14:14 #17791 by Charlotte
not to mention that image is larger than it was when I made a screen cap? :argh:

EDIT: And now it did it's usual trick of shutting itself down mid-use... *headdesk*