May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN July 23 - The end of the Rainbow - WIPs

01 Jul 2023 19:54 - 01 Jul 2023 20:43 #46080 by Banj
The End of the Rainbow

Brief:
What is at the end of the rainbow? We will find out after you paint it in a wonderfully crafted image of visual splender... or whatever you can get done before the deadline. 

Deadline: Midnight on Monday the 31st of July. 

This thread is where you post your WIPs (works in progress). Finals should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...ainbow-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jul 2023 20:42 #46084 by Charlotte

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

08 Jul 2023 11:44 - 08 Jul 2023 11:45 #46177 by Charlotte
Well, I just started something, that doesn't quite fit the theme I guess but it was inspired by an old drawing of mine from 1990 (which looks infinitely naive to me now and I wish I had been younger than 16 when I made it but what the hey) and I thought I was doing rather well and then I apparently caused an infinite loop error and no I hadn't saved. Even once. :stare:

1990 drawing: 

Attachments:

08 Jul 2023 12:21 #46179 by Charlotte
Since trying to make a perfect circle was what cause artrage to crash the first time, I started off with that this time, and then tried to redo the sketch which turned out entirely different from before and I'm not sure about it yet, so no filled in lines (except the circles...) but at least I got back to it instead of just giving up immediately, and that's something. :dry: 

Attachments:

08 Jul 2023 14:00 #46181 by Valence
I like this a lot.
There's a lovely balance to the pose and the way the water pulls you deeper into the picture is very satisfying.
Keep going. :aha:

And I'm glad I don't have any saved pictures from when I was 16. :lol:
They certainly wouldn't look as good as that.

08 Jul 2023 14:20 #46182 by Charlotte
Thank you - though I actually already made a new sketch and I'm trying to move ahead with that one instead. I haven't deleted the above one, though. Just in case. :paranoid: 

New version: 

I guess it's even moe balanced. Possibly too much so. 

Attachments:

08 Jul 2023 18:24 #46190 by Charlotte
The lines aren't entirely done or necessarily final or anything.... the sketch changed a wee bit, again. I decided I didn't want the usual white person, so I added an afro and now all I can think is "70:s disco"  :blink: 

I also keep seeing it in orange, which is NOT going to be the main colour. :nope: 

Attachments:

08 Jul 2023 18:32 #46193 by Banj
 A disco album cover 

At the sketch stage I was going to say I preferred the previous pose, but now it's all inked up I like what you have now.

08 Jul 2023 18:51 #46194 by Charlotte
At the end of the rainbow, there's disco :aha:

and thanks :)

09 Jul 2023 15:47 - 09 Jul 2023 15:51 #46201 by Charlotte
lines done (more or less.... major shapes done, anyway):

And flat colours, though they are goiing to change rather a bit. Tried two skies and I'm leaning towards the right gradient one, rather than the "rays"

Edit: or maybe not... :hmm: the rays do make things pop a bit more. But maybe some different colors. (not orange, though! :stare: )

Attachments: