May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN March 2016 - The Last Stand - WIPs

16 Mar 2016 15:04 #13539 by Valence
Cherry: Good to hear your Mother is out of hospital. That's never a nice thing to go through.

I've never thought about challenges being male or female :unsure: I just look at them from my own male perspective, which is probably an ignorant thing to do. :lol: Perhaps Charlotte can pick a girly thing to do next month. :)

I absolutely love the colour scheme on that first image, and with the composition and subject matter it creates a really intense and powerful image. Hope you get a chance to develop it at a more appropriate time. :)
Your unicorn looks good too. I struggle with horsey legs, particularly hind legs, but you've done them really well here and in a way that matches the style of the original. Well done.

Micro: Another interesting change-up from you! There's some intricate detail and design in there, reminds me a bit of Crankshaft's pictures. :)
The wheels and tracks do look a little offset on the second image, I don't know if that's intentional. :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Mar 2016 17:07 #13540 by Banj
:S Randomly selected theme was suggested by Rorke. Rorke is female.

16 Mar 2016 21:09 #13542 by Charlotte
*makes Marge Simpson noise* Careful there Val....

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

16 Mar 2016 21:28 #13543 by Kodabble
I guess I didn't think of it as a guy theme, :silly: but my first thought was similar to several of the first input ideas of a warrior (male or female) against great odds, since there was a reference to Stephen King's book. Then I was sitting out on the porch and looking at the oak tree nearby and thought of the literal word of a stand, as in a stand of trees.
So I came up with this idea for the Last Stand.

Attachments:

16 Mar 2016 21:41 #13544 by Valence

*makes Marge Simpson noise* Careful there Val....

D'oh! :pinch:

17 Mar 2016 01:31 #13547 by Quetzal
A different take on a last stand... and me going gonzo with a pen.
Attachments:

17 Mar 2016 06:53 #13548 by CherryGraphics
Hahahah oh no Val, I also wouldn't like a really girlish theme. :D It's like discussing which movie you could watch with your partner. Action movie (male) or the rest (both gender) :whistle: For me all "battle" scenes are a more male topic. But that's just my opinion. ^^

and thanks for the kind words :)

quetzal this is another wonderful, lovely pencil drawing. It wouldn't need any colors :)

and the pencil sketch of you, kodabble, is also really nice. I like the literal way a lot :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

17 Mar 2016 17:20 - 17 Mar 2016 17:23 #13551 by microscopi
Hey Cherry, really digging the pic with the girl and her mom, that's a great perspective you have there and really nice anatomy sketch, the colors really work too. Going to look awesome when it's done! Maybe if the girl was facing her mom, could show more emotion by seeing her face.

Do like the other pics also, with the unicorn, you have two great lined up images, although I like the one on the top more. :woohoo:

Hey Kod good to see you join in this month, really liking the nature theme you have in yours this time, I can't decide who's sketch is better yours or Quetzals but my favorite part of yours is all the animals you managed to put in, really cool! :woohoo:

Questzal, you have a really great amount of detail with all your sketches, like cherry said almost to the point of needed no color added. The house looks awesome and I like the perspective and forms you used a lot! :woohoo:

Building up the background and colors on mine.

Attachments:

17 Mar 2016 21:52 #13558 by Valence
Quetzal: Wow! I think this is definitely my new favourite idea. How I wish I'd thought of that! And done in pen too? Double Wow! All that cross-hatching is lovely to look at and the perspective is just perfect both technically and artistically.

Kodabble: And this is a great idea too with a lovely bit of wordplay. I love how tightly packed the trees are as if they're cowering together to protect each other.

Micro: Good to see your machine in the context of an environment and once again you've got another distant glow emanating through the background. Keep it going!

18 Mar 2016 21:26 - 18 Mar 2016 21:27 #13570 by Valence
Some more slow work for my seemingly unchanging picture.
I've been focussing on the middle ground trying to get some detail in the debris and rubble. I think there's a bit of a scale/perspective issue there but I'm not sure that can be fixed without a complete do-over :shrug: I've also been working up the zombies a bit, adding a few extra faces here and there along with a creepy kid dragging his teddy along! :ohmy:

I will try to make the trousers a little grubbier next week with some added blood spatter and will then try to do something with the burning background.
Attachments: