April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Jan 2016 - New Dawn - WIPs

11 Jan 2016 14:35 #13160 by Valence
Atto: Banj is right about the background, you should definitely make the crucifix light a boarded up window rather than a door.
I think the key to the perspective is the chair, it was that that defined the alignment of the legs and it also defines the viewpoint. You can actually see the underside of the seat so this makes your viewpoint very low and angled upwards in a kind of worm's eye view where we're right down there with the vampire. This would make the horizon equally low right behind his body.
You'd still have reflection on the floor but it would only show underneath his neck- I do like that bit, it works well against the shadow of his arched spine. I also like the shaft of light streaming in as it adds to the thick dense atmosphere of the interior.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jan 2016 02:02 - 12 Jan 2016 02:14 #13162 by Atto
Thanks Banj - I can't believe I didn't pick that up myself - but I guess everything seems obvious when someone points it out to you. :unsure: I've made the changes as you and Val suggested and it actually gave me some opportunities to add a little more detail to that area. I've detailed up the vamp a little more to and redone the shafts of sunlight coming in the window. Thanks for the assist guys.
EDIT: I know that cross beam of the widow frame should probably be up where the horizontal board is missing but its too late right now - I'll have a look tomorrow.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

12 Jan 2016 04:49 - 12 Jan 2016 04:56 #13166 by microscopi
Atto the changes look more convincing, I actually took notice of what Banj was saying and it is an improvement over the perspective. I might add the character anatomys of both characters look great so far, as always, although her right arm, the one with the black arm band is at an impossible angle, it almost looks like she broke her arm at the wrist on a 90 deg angle.

If it's just you and me this month, I think you got this one, mines not quite as detailed, and thinking you created a cool factor B) pic

*Cherry. Cherry..Bananana Bo Berry *

12 Jan 2016 05:17 #13167 by Quetzal
Time to throw my hat into the ring again...
Attachments:

12 Jan 2016 13:00 #13169 by Valence
Quetzal: Love this. Stating the obvious here: it's a castle and it's a ship!! :woohoo: Wonderful and just so epic.
I can't wait for colour.

Atto: Looks much better now and the more detailed shafts of light really add to the drama.

12 Jan 2016 14:27 #13171 by CherryGraphics
Quetzal this looks awesome so far! I really like your line art .. there's no need for colors anymore : :whistle:

Atto - the changes are very good, it's all more ... one ... you know? definitely looks much better now. :) did I mentioned I adore her striped Beetlejuice-stockings? :D

micro - Did you sing for me? :D your little monkeys are adorable and the lights and clouds in your background give the picture a wonderful painterly mood :)

Eh yes. And Chip&Chip are "finished". :) Next time I'll put the green into the picture :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

14 Jan 2016 01:13 #13175 by Atto
Quetzal - Wow. I love ships especially this type of ship and merging it with a castle/city is a great idea. I mean imagine living aboard that thing and how big must those sales be?!

Cherry - just...awwwwwww. the addition of those acorns in the leg of the table is a really nice idea and how fluffy are those squirrels? Another great little scene with such a storytelling element to it - I wanna ride the pony....errr read the book.

Micro - thanks for the comments, I'm gonna take a look at that wrist but as far as I can figure its at the correct angle - it may be my rendering thats throwing it off - I did alter the form of the hand from the ref so that may be the issue.

Other than that I think I'm pretty much done. Just some cleaning up to do and some issues to fix with the abdomen of our unfortunate vampyre.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CherryGraphics

14 Jan 2016 04:09 #13177 by Quetzal
first color... just slapping paint around trying to get a feel for the mood.
Attachments:

15 Jan 2016 14:37 - 15 Jan 2016 14:38 #13179 by CherryGraphics

Another great little scene with such a storytelling element to it - I wanna ride the pony....errr read the book.

Could there be a more wonderful compliment like this? :kiss: I'm always so glad when people say I have a story in my paintings... :) thanks!

Atto .... YEAH he burns! Great thing. I can feel his pain when I look at him. :o One last thought: Is it just me or does his right leg look a bit thin under the knee? Just a few more pixels for the pant would work better I guess.

Quetzal - I hope you get a feel for the mood :) Now it looks like a colorful watercolor. I thought just the linework could be strong enough, so surpise me and give the picture the right color mood :)

I spent some time (felt like hours :ohmy: ) painting plants. The first green of spring. Or almost spring.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

15 Jan 2016 21:36 #13181 by Valence
Cherry: Lovely stuff there. I love the expression on the sleeping squirrel. He looks so snug and contented as if he's dreaming of the spring that's to come. :)

Atto: Yep, looks good. Those shafts of light really seem to enhance the warmth of the girl's skin and contrast it against the greyer vampire.

Queztal: Cherry said it right, it looks just like watercolour washes. Keep on layering and it'll look great.

And I think I might have finally found some of that motivation...
I've been trying to paint this all week and abandoned it four times in a petty little sulk but the fifth attempt seems to have improved a bit.
I wanted to do a bit of a sci-fi pic with an eclipsing kind of light and the title made me think of an advert and how companies rebrand products as being "New..." so I thought that Dawn could be the name of the latest upgraded android product. And in honour of the late Alan Rickman's role as Marvin this too has a brain the size of a planet. :)

Attachments: