April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN October 2015 The thing behind the door

12 Oct 2015 20:25 #12586 by microscopi
Atto, the characters are looking great, really liking the textures on both monsters, the girl doesn't look as interesting, I think her pose is too robotic if that's the word, maybe you can add more detail to her clothes, also to the background to match the foreground characters more.

I haven't really done much more to mine other then just working up the detail. Val really trying to focus on making a lot of metal textures for all the machines and pipes, the details are starting to add up though, it's blurry in places because I was trying to get a good lighting, going to need some time to get everything polished.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Oct 2015 22:23 #12587 by Atto
Thanks Micro - I originally had her with her hands out in a "Boo!" kind of pose, maybe I'll take another look at that. I did do away with it in preference to a more relaxed pose because I didn't think she really needed to do much more than stand there looking cute to scare the monsters any how and liked the idea of this cute little girl who creates so much fear in them (obviously this scene is set before they find the power of laughter in the movie so everyone still thinks humans are a health threat).

More importantly though its great to see how you're working all the detail up in this image. I'm always paring down the vision in my head (detail wise) because I'm always worried I wont be able to handle it and maintain a coherent image. Looking good Micro.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

14 Oct 2015 02:09 #12596 by Digital Dave
Well, not too much of an update here. Mostly just cleaning some stuff up and adding some minor details, to which most probably won't see too much difference. But I did try out a few things, that I felt failed more then helped, so didn't keep them.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

14 Oct 2015 03:20 #12597 by microscopi
Thanks Atto, I wasn't aware cute was a superpower but I think the pose looks good as it is too. :)
I'm worried about a lot of detail too and taking on too much of a challenge, but I don't have a lot to do this month, so I figured i'd invest the time into this one.

Dave looking very polished, i'd say you're pretty much done, the lighting looks great, especially liking the shadows the candless make on his arm , I always use the dodge brush to get a glowy effect, could look good to simulate the candle in the pumpkin.

I worked up more shadows in mine, and realized how almost monochrome it was looking so I got carried away with the colors a bit, still rough though.

Attachments:

14 Oct 2015 22:31 #12610 by Valence
Good work everyone.

Micro: I like the variation in colour in the floor. It works well to separate the space from all the other details and keeps the image readable through all the complexity.

Atto: I think a little bit of texture here and there wouldn't hurt. Especially the floor. A bit of wood grain there would really emphasize the perspective.
The little masks are a great idea but I'm not sure about the shading on the one on Sully's face. At the moment it doesn't quite follow the geometry of his head.

Dave: Yep, almost done. I'm glad you removed the door. The picture is strong enough without it and stands up as it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

14 Oct 2015 22:33 #12611 by Atto
Of course cute is a super power!! Otherwise I have no idea why my wife married me! Its not for my personality and good looks thats for sure!
I'm kinda loving those colours right now Micro. The luminous green is a lovely touch and the red round the turbine looking thingy in the centre mass is very cool. The monitors are very well executed and you've maintained those awesome reflections/shadows on the floor. The earth/rock formations around the room are nicely evocative (word of the week) without impacting the focus of the image in any way.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

17 Oct 2015 23:52 - 18 Oct 2015 00:04 #12636 by microscopi
Monster making machines can be supercute too :P Really felt I wanted to give up on mine, I was imagining a really cool interior but looking so flat! Struggling a lot with making it look good, so decided to focus on the center machine/character?, the background is going stay a background :dry: .

(Story:) Humans abandoned the car factory plant he was the main machine for so he decided to remake himself out of old cars, and now trying to build monsters to take revenge on humans kind, the cables are sort of like his snakes minions :X

Attachments:

19 Oct 2015 00:49 - 19 Oct 2015 00:52 #12647 by Valence
Micro: There you go changing everything again! It's always hard to keep up with your ever-evolving compositions. :)
Pushing the background away into the shadows does create more depth and adds to the creepy mood. I think you should reintroduce some foreground elements though. The image looks a little top-heavy at the moment.
Perhaps even a doomed figure, or something else, at the bottom for those snake minions to wrap around, just to balance the areas of detail a bit more.

21 Oct 2015 01:49 - 21 Oct 2015 01:50 #12656 by Digital Dave
Agree with Valence, Micro. Or you could expand the canvas upward some, to show the top? ... Actually, right now it looks as if you may have cropped the top of the image off. Guess it appears so far away, you would think you would see the top.

I haven't done much myself. Opened it up a few times this past week, but keep thinking I'm just looking for things to add to it, but not necessarily needed. :) Might be done I guess, unless something pops in my head in the next week or so.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

23 Oct 2015 15:37 #12676 by SchizophreniaWolf
Attachments: