April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN October 2015 The thing behind the door

05 Oct 2015 14:26 #12526 by Digital Dave
Haha... Thanks Valence. Yeah, It wasn't my intent to work this image up so fast, I Just took advantage of some unscheduled free time! :D - Was also having fun with it and getting to know a new program, so just kept plugging away at it. Hope to see others join in on this one too.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Oct 2015 21:41 - 05 Oct 2015 21:57 #12527 by microscopi
Hey guys, been so busy with vac and some things that came up. I came across a pic of James Paick that I like the perspective and got me modivated to come up with a mad scientist labratory, sort of tucked away somewhere, and the mad scientist in question is working on some really bad stuff!

Dave you're going fast, but looking great so far B) Are you going to add detail to the background now? I like the forshortening of his hand, it grabs your attention. His expression makes him seem like he's the scrooge of halloween hah, liking the skull mug I want one of those! :silly:

Mines pretty messy but you get the idea.

* I had this idea awhile ago but didn't complete it to the level I was happy with so trying again *
Attachments:

05 Oct 2015 23:31 #12528 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Micro. ... As for a BG, I'm not sure? Haven't thought too much on it, and I'm not sure if I will even put one in? :dunno: Guess we'll have to see how it plays out from here. :D

I have put some thoughts into a possible foreground, to help it fit the brief better, but will have to see if I can pull it off?

Thanks again, and look forward to seeing yours progress. You already created some nice depth there, just watch the center structure, it appears to be a little off-kilter at the moment.

06 Oct 2015 14:25 - 06 Oct 2015 14:34 #12529 by microscopi
Did some more work on it last night, hopefully the Kilter is looking on now Dave :P

I'm still struggling on refining to small details, but i'm getting better, just working slower then i'd like atm.

Attachments:

06 Oct 2015 16:55 #12534 by Digital Dave
Yep, definitely straightened it up. Just watch its height now, it appears you raised it up some with your adjustment, which now makes it look as if's on a hill or rise in the floor. Unless the floor is supposed to be raised that is?. The lines around it's bottom and highlight at it's base also help sell this, again, if this is intentional.

I worked a little more on mine last night as well, but the hands are giving me a hard time. Mostly the foreshortened one. Trying to give it an older skin look, with wrinkles. But it's not cooperating at the moment.

06 Oct 2015 18:45 #12536 by Valence
Hey, welcome back micro, I wondered where you'd got to. :)
That's a pretty complex composition you've got there but it's looking promising so far. I think this'll be one of those pics where you have to keep flipping as you work to keep track of all those perspective lines and angles.
Looking forward to seeing those details go in.

06 Oct 2015 22:31 - 06 Oct 2015 22:35 #12540 by Atto
Had an idea for this while I was away over the weekend so even though I know I'll probably get side tracked (my wedding anniversary and my wifes birthday this month) I thought I'd post it even if for no other reason than s$£%s and giggles:

Trick or Treat Monsters Inc Style

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

07 Oct 2015 00:29 - 07 Oct 2015 00:31 #12541 by Atto
A little more work on Sully, still a long ways to go.

EDIT: So glad that fur shows up on here was an absolute pain in the preverbial.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

07 Oct 2015 01:55 #12542 by Digital Dave
That's looking pretty cool, Atto.

Worked on a little more, but still not happy with some of the skin. Also sponged out some of the yellow that I had in the face. Thought it was a bit much.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

07 Oct 2015 02:49 #12543 by microscopi
Dave you could try adding some blue or green pigmentation to the skin to give it more detail, or maybe just add some scars or worts. I raided the center structure in mine trying to make the background seem to be a lot farther away to give it more depth, I am going to have a bunch of wires and pipes coming out of the center power source.

Hey Atto looking great, I like the design you got going, the fur looks almost finished now, really like the way you textured it. I would leave it how it is and work on the other parts.

I flipped it for the first time Val, and there was parts of the perspective that were off so thanks for that suggestion. I have been trying to place everything perspective wise, and rearranging like crazy, but I think I have something I like, although some of the machines are just boxes for positioning sake right now.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto