April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Sept. 2015 Challenge - Black & White - WIPs

01 Sep 2015 17:03 #12194 by Charlotte
Black & White
Brief: I took a looksie in the latest Imagine FX issue (#126) and there's a section featuring multiple artists and them working in greyscale or monochrome. And I decided (all by myself!) that you will do the same! So, you can paint anything you want but it should be done in black & white or greyscale, though a faint monochrome (like sepia) is also acceptable, as is the occassional accent color.

Deadline: Wednesday 30th September, by midnight GMT.

This is where you posts your Works In Progress
Your Final entries should be posted over here ...

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
All challenge entries must be your own work.
You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
Each member may cast one vote
No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Sep 2015 19:04 #12197 by Valence
Hmm, interesting one. *strokes chin while pondering ideas*
I rather like doing black and white pics, you don't have to worry about all those muddy colours.

02 Sep 2015 17:47 #12203 by Digital Dave
Should be a cool challenge! Be nice to see how everyone works up their images in this/these styles. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

03 Sep 2015 13:19 - 24 Sep 2015 12:12 #12217 by CherryGraphics
Hurray! ... Ehm. Wait. What? I always said this would be the most difficult challenge for me. :silly: :whistle:
But okay. I'll try. :D Just hope I find enough time. (The last days I changed my painting pen with my writing pen. I've wrote a little bad fairytale.... :whistle: :)

Okay.... black&white. Uuuh maybe I can paint an idea which I had a long time ago, something with dancing shadows. This could work.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

03 Sep 2015 22:27 #12221 by Valence
I suddenly want to know what your fairy tale is about! Do tell! Or perhaps paint the book cover. :)

04 Sep 2015 06:25 #12225 by CherryGraphics
That's nice to hear Val :)

And I would love if you could just read it - but I don't know if my english is that good to translate everything right so the atmosphere remains the same. ^^

It's called "Alone".
Its about a girl. Liz. She has lost her mother. Now she is all alone in the old farm she calls her home. There's a big garden and when her mother was still alive it was a green paradise. But now the plants turn to cruel things, leaves become thorns. the plants begin to catch small insects and birds and some day they attack the girl itself. she flees into the house.
on the other hand there's William, a young man who left his home to become a hero. he hears about the girl, who is all alone since her mother died and decided to visit her. the garden catches him, but the girl can helps him in the last moment. they find a way to get inside the house but the whole garden awakes and grows all over the house and then it turns to stone. both are alive but Both are locked, there is no escape. this is the end. it has an open end a lot of room for interpretations, why the plants are that cruel, do they live, is there still a hope to escape or will they both die?

:blush:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

04 Sep 2015 14:16 #12229 by Robin
Meh - I'm never going to have enough time to do this one, oh well, next time sweet challenge, next time you will be mine - BWAH HA HA HA!!!! - (Ulp!) pardon me.

04 Sep 2015 20:04 #12231 by Valence
Cherry: Your English is infinitely better than my Deutsch! My German lessons ended at the age of fourteen. And they didn't end well! :)
Fairytales often have a dark, bleak undertone and your story certainly fits that theme. You should definitely illustrate it as well, but not necessarily for this challenge. You should take more time over your own personal work to make it even more special.

12 Sep 2015 20:58 #12297 by Kodabble
Wow, I figured there would be lots of entries by this time.
Well to get this challenge going I'll submit a sketch I was playing with, though I don't know if I'll end up using it.
So WIP 1

Hope to see others submitting soon.
Attachments:

12 Sep 2015 22:42 - 12 Sep 2015 22:47 #12298 by Susie1981
Hi all
Sorry I missed the august challenge - I was running around Sherwood Forest pretending to be in Robin Hoods gang - living it up medieval style.

Started something for this month. I had the idea of an infiltrator who took the role of an evil priestess - by replacing her they saved countless lives but by being discovered she becomes the monster
Just an idea - the story is growing as I draw..
Attachments: