April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Sept. 2015 Challenge - Black & White - WIPs

16 Sep 2015 19:28 #12339 by Charlotte
Cherry, I'm not saying you have to use one colour or mustn't use more than one - exactly how you go about using colour in your piece is up to you. The overall impression should be greyscale, monochromatic or black & white though, not "ordinarily colourful" like most pictures are - if that makes sense? :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Sep 2015 22:09 #12341 by evilrobot
Hey, Valence that is looking pretty bad ass. Nice work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

17 Sep 2015 05:16 - 17 Sep 2015 13:27 #12346 by CherryGraphics
Aaaah okay that makes sense to me :D thanks Charlotte! (And fits exactly my idea of the picture.... :whistle: )

Spent some time today on the mask ...I want that the mask is going under her skin but I think I have to change some things before it really looks like that what i have in mind o.O

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

17 Sep 2015 23:18 #12354 by Valence
Cherry: I like the subtlety of the mask, it adds the right amount of interest with that sinuous flourish but doesn't cover too much of the face. And the idea of the mask under the skin sounds perfect. Maybe an emboss layer style could help with that? But I don't understand layer styles. :P

18 Sep 2015 13:36 #12358 by CherryGraphics
Yeah thanks a lot Val :D

For that I was a bit skeptical at first regarding black and white, it is now quite rapid progress, I must say. :P

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

18 Sep 2015 20:35 - 18 Sep 2015 21:54 #12360 by Valence
That's looking very dramatic with the deeper values in, Cherry, and I like the mask very much indeed. The two sides match perfectly, I would have found that really tough to do.
Although I do like her long slender figure the upper arm looks a little too long at the moment. Perhaps it's just a consequence of the picture being unfinished but it's something to keep an eye on as you develop it further. It may well balance out as you add more detail. :)

Still doodling away at mine, trying to find interesting little shapes to fill the canvas. Oh, and I've lengthened it into a portrait format.

One thing I've become aware of is that the image doesn't read clearly as a thumbnail. I think this is because of the density of detail and the consisent value range over all areas of the picture. Hopefully this will be solved next week when I try to play with the lighting. I'm planning on using a soft light layer to to brighten/darken areas to help push them back and forth and create a better sense of different positions in space and also to make the lighting come from the left to begin to break the symmetry.
Attachments:

22 Sep 2015 02:42 #12392 by Thomgirl
Some really nice pieces getting worked on in here. I hope to see some more show up :)

I'm TRYING to get something done in time. I'm not sure if I will, but won't know without putting forth the effort, right?

So here's a sketch on what I'm working on. I'm in a portrait sort of mood, so decided to work on one that I've been planning to do for a while for this challenge. She should work out well for it with what I have in mind. For any curious nerds out there, she's an Aasimar half-elf from D&D Forgotten Realms. She's better known as a badass with a mace.

Attachments:

22 Sep 2015 07:50 #12396 by CherryGraphics
Hello again Thomgirl! :) Nice start! I really really hope you'll have time enough to finish this. Or just have some days fun with :)

Val - this is a really interesting subject what you paint. - reminds a lot of old, past dynasties. I like the symmetry of it all but I also guess some breaks will be fine to have some special points to look at a moment longer.

I worked on my lady and gave her the first butterflies but there is still a lot to do and to detail and yes Val you're right the upper arm is a bit too long at the moment... :whistle:

Facebook / Behance

22 Sep 2015 17:28 #12397 by Thomgirl
Thanks Cherry! Same to you! The mask is really beautiful, but the open space in her chest is really piquing my curiosity! Looking forward to seeing more, for sure.

It's been a surreal past few days for me and not in the way I'd generally prefer, but on the bright side of things, it's forcing me to just 'sane out' in my work. Which means this piece will probably be done in time. I'm REALLY trying to push a more painterly feel with this one. I'm kicking the soft round brush to the curb and just getting gritty... well, as much as I can anyways. NOT looking forward to the mace-work :unsure:

Attachments:

23 Sep 2015 12:47 #12401 by CherryGraphics
What a face Thomgirl! :) Looks pretty and cute AND sassy at the same time! :D

I'm almost done I guess. I changed the hole a bit, let the butterlfies fly and gave light and colors to the picture. I decided against a clean black&white colored picture and gave the pic a more bluish, cold shine as a contrasting color to the warm red.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments: