April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Sept. 2015 Challenge - Black & White - WIPs

23 Sep 2015 13:16 #12402 by Valence
Thomgirl: That's developing pretty quickly and is looking cool. The curve of the eyeball back into the tear duct area is technically very good and the shading and highlights of the surrounding skin accurately describe the three-dimensional form. I always think that's one of the trickiest parts of a face to do and it looks great when it's done right, and here you have definitely done it right.

Cherry: The red looks fantastic! As do the butterflies, especially those dark shadowy ones at the bottom. And seeing as I already like the mask it's a nice idea to have that little flare to draw your attention to it. :)
I am still keeping the symmetry of the shapes and objects in mine. It'll just be the light and shadow that breaks it. Symmetrical lighting always looks flat, like the flash on a camera, so it needed something to give it a bit of dimension. At the moment I'm trying to fit a flower into that gaping mouth to add a bit of contrast from the surrounding creepiness. Should be done in the next few days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Sep 2015 18:51 #12410 by Thomgirl
And... a bit of gold...

More gold to come!
Attachments:

25 Sep 2015 19:42 #12421 by Thomgirl
Still have a ways to go on the mace... but it's in a much better place today than it was yesterday.
Attachments:

25 Sep 2015 20:18 #12423 by Valence
Metallic gold is tough, I always find it hard to control the saturation (it's the only time I ever dare to think about dodge/burn) but that looks good and shiny and still has the coldness of metal despite the warm hues.
And I'm glad you're progressing again after backtracking earlier. I hate it when that happens. It's so frustrating, so it's important to get back working on it again. :)

25 Sep 2015 20:52 #12424 by Thomgirl
Thanks, Val! Yeah... I'm terrible at metal. Gold, oddly, is the easiest for me, but I still feel like I'm far from being comfortable with it. I've been staying away from any gimmick stuff in photoshop to try and make it work and just trying to straight up 'paint' it. I used to use a lot of texture overlays in my work too to get metal effects and such, but it's a lazy crutch and I do really need to learn :p So... yeah... this is me trying to get out of my bad habits ;-) She's a fun piece though, so making mistakes and learning from them is worth it!

25 Sep 2015 21:41 #12426 by Digital Dave
Some really cools works on-going for this one. Will be interesting to see the final images. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

28 Sep 2015 11:59 #12453 by SchizophreniaWolf
Valence: that's awesome, nice one indeed! It has that silver statue thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

28 Sep 2015 20:03 #12459 by Valence
Hey, Schizo! *waves*
Haven't seen you around for a bit, unless you were just lurking. :)
Hope you're still doing those awesome sketches. I have missed your superior linework and that dark, sinister undertone to your pics. ;)