May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN August 2015 Challenge - Ganymede - WIPs

20 Aug 2015 09:29 #12069 by Robin
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Aug 2015 13:15 #12070 by Valence
Excellent detailing there, Robin. Those little patches of cross-hatched shading on the moon are really effective and those fine white lines suggest the bird's feathers in an accurate yet subtle way.
Looks very professional.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin

23 Aug 2015 19:56 #12107 by microscopi
Robin the shading is awesome, looks like something inked for a comic, and I heard that too, using crosshatches makes the drawing more interesting and adds more complexity.

That's a way better perspective Val, the eagle looks great anatomy wise and so does Zeus, except as Hobby said, his head is too large and too low on his body, you could easily fix that tho by making his head smaller and moving it up a bit you wouldnt have to expand your canvas.

This one is tough, I had a couple ideas I hated, I was going to scrap it and quit actually, but managed to force myself through it and found some inspiration to make it better, and just went full throttle so i'm almost done now. :woohoo:

Attachments:

23 Aug 2015 22:05 #12109 by Atto
Beautiful detail and line work Robin - cant wait to see this coloured!
Micro - This is looking fantastic - excellent composition and the moon is looking great and I'm loving the way the lighting pulls the eye straight to the figure.
Wish I had time to enter these challenges but working away means I have little time to sit at my pc.
Good Luck all.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

25 Aug 2015 00:27 #12120 by hobbyhorse
Micro- your piece looks wonderful. There is just enough symmetry that it make for a strong composition, but enough variety...silhouette of mountains and the texture of the moon with the shape of the eagle against it...very nice
Very nice line work Robin and though it could be colored in I'm not sure it needs to be. It's definitely up to you and perhaps just a spot of color is all you will want to add.

25 Aug 2015 11:19 #12124 by Digital Dave
Some very nice works coming along here. Look forward to seeing the final images.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

27 Aug 2015 00:01 - 27 Aug 2015 00:10 #12153 by microscopi
Hey guys, thanks :woohoo: I made 3 thumbnail versions of mine with different compositions and went with the best one. I'm more comfortable with environments, so decided to put the focus there. Hope you guys get yours finished, it's so quiet in here, you have 5 days to finish, drop everything and start painting !!! B)

27 Aug 2015 00:18 #12154 by Valence
Micro: I'm liking that symmetric background and the way that fisheye lens look makes the landscape curve up like the moon. If you've got time then it might be good to break that symmetry with the shape of the foreground hill. Also you may want to raise or lower the figure a fraction, having it coincide with the horizon makes him appear very distant.

I'm getting sick of mine, can't wait to finish and start on the Virgo challenge. I don't want to post a wip just yet to save my embarrassment (there are some awful, comedy hands in it at the moment, hopefully I'll improve them next time.) I do have the figure in now though and next I need to put in some mountains and ponder the nude/greek-toga dilemma.

28 Aug 2015 08:38 #12167 by Yian
Just a quick suggestion. If this is supposed to be a planet of some sort, you should make it perfectly round.

28 Aug 2015 17:12 - 28 Aug 2015 17:16 #12169 by Kodabble
Been a while since I posted, though I have done some work on mine. Hope to post the final soon.
Here are a couple of WIPs for update.
This was land coloring and planet gray shading.

Attachments: