April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN August 2015 Challenge - Ganymede - WIPs

10 Aug 2015 22:10 #12007 by microscopi
The scene looks more interesting in the story telling department, although all 3 shapes are large in the pic, so developing scale or depth might be a bit hard, unless you can show more distance between them, although I like the forms, they look great just as paint blobs, especially Zeus looks cool.

I changed my idea, it was too boring and I have a much better idea now, although i'm pretty sure it's going to be difficult for me to do as it involves painting stuff I suck at. :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Aug 2015 06:11 - 11 Aug 2015 06:12 #12009 by CherryGraphics
Nice idea Val! I like the pose of Zeus a lot and the eagle is looking great there. But I have a little "problem" with Ganymede himself, he looks a bit ... displaced. Maybe it's just his size or his pose or his position. o___o

micro I'm really curious what your next idea will be - show us show show us! :D

But what may I say - I don't have a sketch this time until now. Last week I had a little vacation - far away from computers or other media.
So hurry up, Cherry. Hurry up! :P

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

11 Aug 2015 13:05 #12011 by Valence
Yeah, I see what you mean. Also looking at it one day later with fresh eyes I don't like the way the eagle bisects the picture so cleanly. That could do with being either bigger with the wings cropped a little or smaller so that they don't extend to the edge of the picture.
A bit of cut and paste to jiggle things around should solve both problems. :)

And yes, hurry up Cherry. Holidays are over now! ;)

11 Aug 2015 13:35 #12012 by CherryGraphics
:P This isn't really useful Val! :D

But hey I've got an idea - will show you tomorrow I hope. :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

11 Aug 2015 16:44 #12014 by Robin

First WIP - didn't really do any research - I just thought Ganymede would be a cool name for a familiar, probably gonna change a bunch of stuff by the next WIP - laters.
Attachments:

11 Aug 2015 18:06 - 11 Aug 2015 18:06 #12019 by Charlotte
Welcome to the challenges Robin! :)

The wip's posted so far are all looking good to me. I really like how Zeus and the eagle are repeating the same gesture.... :) (EDIT: THat's be in Valence's pic not in everyone's lol)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

11 Aug 2015 18:24 #12022 by Valence
Yeah I liked the idea of Zeus flapping his arms in the background. :) Sadly I seem to have lost that in the second WIP :(

And a big welcome to Robin! That's an impressive first sketch, I really like that pose and composition, and the anatomy looks fine and will serve as a good foundation for what's to come. Can't wait for the second WIP.

11 Aug 2015 21:55 - 11 Aug 2015 21:57 #12028 by microscopi
Hey Robin, welcome, what Val said, first WIP is looking awesome, although her face needs some more girlyness right now :unsure:

Although everything else looks great, anatomy, pose, details, looking at the moon behind her, I can see how you could make it cast a cool rim lighting around your char to push her out more.. been working on my sketching lately but it's really a lot of work!

12 Aug 2015 02:33 - 12 Aug 2015 02:39 #12032 by Kodabble
Thought I might go with a space scene with this one rather then with the mythological story.
So Ganymede largest for the Jupiter moons (largest in the solar system) third orbital moon out with Io and Europa the inner two.
Decided to play with Bryce with this. An ice surface with the two moons and Jupiter in the scene.

First WIP basic wireframe

and basic shading
Attachments:

12 Aug 2015 07:18 - 12 Aug 2015 07:55 #12035 by CherryGraphics
Good start Kodabble! Always interesting how 3D art works!

Robin this looks amazingly good! I'm really excited how this will progress :)

Finally I found some time to sketch my idea down - I want to have a special "greek" look in this one. Will see if I can catch that spirit a bit :silly:

Facebook / Behance
Attachments: