April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN July 2015 Challenge - Mad Hatter's Tea Party

15 Jul 2015 00:29 #11758 by Valence
Lovely linework on the facial features, Cherry. Really neat and well controlled. Can't wait to see you integrate all that hair. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jul 2015 09:32 #11766 by CherryGraphics
Thanks val. I'm also excited xD Really don't know if I can handle all of her curls right :silly:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

15 Jul 2015 20:21 #11775 by Kodabble
Valence and CherryGraphics great starts on this challenge as on all your prior challenges. Susie1981 nice to see you in this challenge, this is a really clever interpretation of the theme, Looking forward to updates.
I really thought there would be more interest in this challenge. Everyone must be enjoying the summer.
Anyway I did get a sketch started so I figured it was time to post.

Attachments:

16 Jul 2015 00:58 - 16 Jul 2015 01:01 #11779 by Valence
Nice sketch Kodabble. That big looming hare is kinda scary. :) I've been trying to bulk up the hare character in my pic but I think yours would win in a fight!
It's nice to see you posting early, we don't usually see your sketch until the final few days. This time you have a full two weeks. I'm expecting great things.
No pressure then. ;)

16 Jul 2015 13:54 - 16 Jul 2015 13:55 #11784 by microscopi
Designs for this are all looking great, and lots of different ideas which I like. I wasn't really sure what to do for this one, it's a bit more specific then the last challenges, I assumed we had to show them all AT the tea part and I couldn't think of anything creative there, other then maybe a squirrel angle shot looking down from a tree on the table and them sitting around goofing off. Then I had another idea of Alice seeing them all falling down the rabbit hole ahead of her in the distance, showing movement, but I don't think I could pull off what I am imagining but if you need some, there's some more ideas for you Val !

17 Jul 2015 13:42 #11787 by CherryGraphics
great first wip kodabble! like the mad hatter a lot :D

so... Alice has her curls! Somehow. :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

17 Jul 2015 20:21 #11789 by Valence
Nice work Cherry. The picture is really coming to life with the colors and values.

Been working on mine but I'm still not settled on the composition and spacing. I put some grey fur over the cat but tried to let some of the underlying pink/purple show through here and there. I want the cat's eyes to be staring at something on the table (perhaps the sleeping dormouse) but I've yet to draw that in. The main issue I'm facing now is the Hatter's arm/hand holding the teapot. I'm finding it really hard to visualise how it should be so next week I shall have to find some reference ... or perhaps I should just pose and strut in front of a mirror whilst waving a teapot around and hope that no-one can see me! :lol:

Attachments:

19 Jul 2015 09:54 #11808 by Susie1981
Wow, everyone has really made lots of progress on this one - feel a little left behind. Ok, so added some colour but have been wrestling with the hatters skin tone. Wanted to get across the implied mercury poisoning, everything with a red tinge, but without making him look sunburnt. :)

Hope you like.

Attachments:

20 Jul 2015 02:30 #11813 by microscopi
Hey Susie, you're going in the right direction with the coloring and shading, especially showing how the hat is casting a shadow on his face. I think you can maybe put a couple of blue veins in his face to show the poison or something to that effect, overall a solid sketch which will transition nicely to color and lighting, keep going! :cheer:

Kod, you really have great sketches every time, this one is no exception, really interesting and well designed characters, you have a great starting point and I would really like to see it done, you still have 11 days, think of the prize ! :woohoo:

Val,all the characters look as good as the other, you managed to fit them all in and detail them so quickly this time, the big rabbit is def my fav, the fur on him looks great and the expression is humourous, as is the whole scene, great job as usual, although i'm wondering about the story there :)

Cherry, the design of yours feels like a book illustration, the line work looks great, all the creatures add to the crazyness you're trying to capture, but it's well designed and looks clean, transitioning really well :P

22 Jul 2015 01:29 #11815 by Valence
Susie: I really like the skin colour of the hatter. The hue is spot on and the value stands out well against the darker background. In fact that's the best skin tone I've seen you do so very well done and keep it going.

I'm getting a bit confused with mine. I've added in Tweedledum and Tweedledee at either side peeping over the table but had to extend the canvas to fit them in. And now after initially having the characters squashed together it now all seems too stretched out and wide. I need to have a bit of a think about what to do before I post it.