April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN July 2015 Challenge - Mad Hatter's Tea Party

06 Jul 2015 20:32 - 06 Jul 2015 20:34 #11683 by Valence
These are two great first sketches!
Cherry: Fantastic expression and the the way you connect all the characters using the hair is very clever and dynamic. There are winding paths that lead your eye all around the picture. Can't wait to see more detail.

And Susie: I love the formality of this composition and the thoughtful arrangement of the characters. The chiseled cheek bones of the hatter creates an interesting contrast of geometry with the softer female (and feline) faces. Will look great with the imminent colour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jul 2015 05:52 #11695 by CherryGraphics
yeah thanks Val :) Hope I can paint some more the next days, LEO is also challenging me a bit :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

08 Jul 2015 06:17 #11696 by SchizophreniaWolf
Susie1981: I like it, Susie1981! The ladies are a great idea :whistle:

I disappointed myself a bit in the last challenge so I'm determined to do better in this one. Go Go Schizo!! :pinch:

09 Jul 2015 19:37 - 09 Jul 2015 19:39 #11711 by Valence
Been struggling a bit with all my attempted scribbles since the last challenge. Every day this week I seemed to waste a couple of hours doing something awful and then ditching it with the usual fury. But today wasn't quite so bad....

It's not quite what I initially had in mind for this (I wanted to go dark and creepy but it's gone cartoony again!) and I am not confident about finishing. Multiple character scenes are a real struggle for me but I'll keep going for the time being.
Attachments:

10 Jul 2015 06:34 - 10 Jul 2015 13:10 #11718 by CherryGraphics
hahahaha always great how your paintings turn from kind of weird to something great Val. :woohoo:

Love Alice' expression a lot :D

I spent some time to get in this new style for me :) But it is a lot of fun trying new things :) So here comes the colored and inked version of the march hare - the one I love the most ^^

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

10 Jul 2015 23:24 - 10 Jul 2015 23:26 #11725 by Valence

hahahaha always great how your paintings turn from kind of weird to something great Val. :woohoo:

I certainly agree with the weird comment! I don't understand how everyone else's sketches look fantastic but mine look like I had an epileptic fit while playing with an Etch-A-Sketch! :lol: Weird indeed.
I just can't do linework.

Your picture looks good with some colour added. Just getting rid of the white background makes such a difference.

Did a bit of work on mine but I'm not sure about the character designs. I thought of the mad march hare as a kind of mental patient in a hospital gown wanting to pull the tail off the white rabbit while looking like a Donnie Darko style cuddly toy. Not sure it works. :unsure:
Also while doing the hatter I was reminded of how Schizo always tells me how I draw similar faces over and over again. And he's right, I do. I really do! This one looks like the kid in my Sorcerer's Apprentice picture. Again. :)
I just have no imagination whatsoever. It's very embarrassing. :blush: But I doubt I can be bothered repainting and redesigning. No imagination and lazy too! :cheer:

Also I think I could rearrange the characters in the frame. Although I like the way they're clustered around the table I think some of the overlaps aren't working so a bit of change here and there could improve the overall space. And I don't like the purple colour of the cat, may change that too.
Attachments:

12 Jul 2015 01:26 #11738 by hobbyhorse
Valence- good start...The characters are a bit scrunched together and pushed off to the left with a fair amount of empty space to the right. Perhaps moving the Mad Hatter to the end of the table would help.

Also the table seems to cut most of the characters off. Arms, hands, elbows are all behind the table edge so perhaps some overlap there.

Group scenes are challenging so I find it helps if you take just 2 or 3 characters, get them to interact to each other and then place those groups in a pleasing way to each other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

12 Jul 2015 03:07 #11743 by Digital Dave
Some very cool works going on for this challenge. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

12 Jul 2015 15:07 #11746 by Valence

Group scenes are challenging.

Ain't that the truth!
I left the gap to possibly add another character peeking over the table but that all depends on how well the other characters develop. If I don't feel happy enough with that then a recrop will definitely happen.
I do wish I could work out these compositions in advance (like Susie's picture) but my brain doesn't stretch that far into the future and I end up making it up as I go along! :)

14 Jul 2015 10:39 - 14 Jul 2015 13:35 #11755 by CherryGraphics
Hi there :D

was a bit lazy the last days and rediscovered my playstation and final fantasy.. :cheer:

I changed the format a bit because now the characters will be a bit more together. And there's the mad hatter and the dormouse :)

Facebook / Behance
Attachments: