May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN Sept. 2014 Challenge - The Wrath of Kat - WIP

10 Sep 2014 14:52 #6091 by AngieA
Rorke I like your design and would like to see where you take it, the challenge did not state that it has to be in the style of the previous ones so go for it.
Schiz I'm not sure 'wars' meets the 'Trek' brief but I do agree that trying to match a style can be a useful exercise. I think you did a great job on it so far with your sketch, he's just such a sweet little evil villain too :).
If I get time I will have a go at this and I might try to do something that will work with Em's look too just for the challenge of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Sep 2014 17:27 #6092 by Charlotte
Love it Wolf, though he's tipping over slightly. You could either rotate the pic or adjust the posture of his legs some... :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Sep 2014 19:24 #6097 by rorke

I'm not so crazy about the challenge myself, but for me it's a challenge to make a paint that fits the original paints perfectly. I think it's good to be able to do different styles on demand. I work for a 3D-computer animation company, and make designs for a lot of different clients and I can't always choose my own style. But anyway, I do understand what you mean rorke.

This is true but I participate in the challenges to flex my own style- I have to work for clients that want other types of styles everyday and whenever I take on challenges its because I need to unwind from being controlled by a clients needs 24/7. So I kinda need the open concept or its just not fun for me - and why do the challenge if it isn't going to be fun. If I wanted to work -- I'd just do my paid work ha ha (I have much I am procrastinating on currently). I understand where your coming from and at the beginning of my career I would have just taken on any type of challenge for the sake of practice. -But now I do challenges so that I can breath life back into my work with inspiration and an enthusiasm for my craft. I put myself in to a rut a many a time just taking on whatever came my way. You can really lose interest in art all together that way and it just becomes another 9-to-5 pretty quick.
Currently as one of my personal projects I am building my husband his own spaceship, crew and universe just for the hell of it. I am just going to transform the character into his weapons expert and give him a furry chameleon head with a couple more tails instead... So I have already lost interest in making him Kat when I have something way more bad-ass in-store for him.
I did enjoy re-watching The Wrath of Khan while I worked though...

I wish you guys the best of luck- your concepts are coming along nicely. I'll pop in to vote

10 Sep 2014 20:24 #6104 by SchizophreniaWolf

You can really lose interest in art all together that way and it just becomes another 9-to-5 pretty quick.

You are absolutly right, I'm in the same ally these days. :(

Charlotte Ahlgren: Yeah but he's doing the Micheal Jackson-move! Smooth criminal!!! :silly: No you are right, I saw it too when I took the picture, but I was planning on fixing it later. But many thanks anyway. It think I going to keep this design unless somebody thinks it isn't a good idea to combine Star Wars-parodies with Star Terk-parodies.

10 Sep 2014 21:27 #6113 by Digital Dave
Very nice sketch, Wolf. Fits the brief nicely in my opinion, and a very cool evil character he is too. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

10 Sep 2014 21:30 #6114 by SchizophreniaWolf

11 Sep 2014 12:53 #6144 by em...

It's not an "em-style" challenge. Em happened to win two previous challenges on the theme and yes I tried to copy his style in mine, but that was for practice reasons, not because it had to be done. Em posted the previous winning entries to give those who weren't around for those challenges an idea of what we'rer referring back to, but you're always allowed to paint in your own style. (Unless we explicitly ask for something like "manga" or "Frazetta style" or some such)

It's not even really my style anyway. I don't usually paint like that.

The brief from the first challenge was - "Stardate: some time in the future via a 3d animated television programme. Captain James Tinnitus Quack is the heroic commander of the Starship Interpond. Loosely based on a similarly named captain from some TV show called Star Trek, this cartoon duck travels the intergalactic pond battling aliens, righting wrongs, and seducing green lady ducks." - so I painted something in a way to resemble a 3D animated character.

11 Sep 2014 23:56 #6156 by Thomgirl
Kind of sad to see folks get discouraged from entering just because they saw a former winner's work and decided 'not happening'. I've never gotten the impression that the challenges were EVER about making your work look like another's on here. I know people gravitate toward certain looks (boobs, robots, and dragons all get a lot of attention), but I think as far as a person's 'style' goes, that's always been encouraged to keep with their own approach. Em... is a great artist, but so is Digital Dave, Sugar, Bergy, Tyl and a TON of others. Yourself included, Rorke! (Sorry if your name wasn't mentioned, that doesn't mean that I'm not a fan of your work, just giving a short list of different artists here whose methods are very different but I like all their works equally as well).

I mean, obviously, you've moved on and you're no longer interested. But I think your initial reasoning was a bit harsh. You never know how a vote will turn out on a topic. And personally, I was really confused by the challenge subject and em...'s work examples helped the idea click for me. I don't paint like he does, so if I were to enter I'd do something very different. But seeing the quality of his works wouldn't be discouraging. If anything it was a help to better understand the brief.

Schizo: Cute start! Though, I sort of agree with some of the others that the star wars reference might be too strong. I get what you're trying to do and I think it IS clever, but Vader's helmut is like... classic. Next to a stormtrooper's mask or a lightsaber, it doesn't get more quintessentially Star Wars than that. Might be better to try for a more obscure homage prop or background. Something where hardcore Star Wars fans would pick up on it, but Trek fans may overlook cause it could easily blend into their world. Could even be like a recreation of a scene from Star Wars, but everything has been 'Treked' up. That sort of thing :)

12 Sep 2014 11:54 - 12 Sep 2014 12:01 #6163 by SchizophreniaWolf
Thomgirl: Hey Thomgirl, thx for that comment. And I understand what you mean, except for that "a more obscure homage prop or background", can you give an example? My idea was to make him not only an enemy of Captain James Tinnitus Quack's team but also of there Star Trek-reference, with his 'in your face' Star Wars-reference. And I just love the sight of a really big helmet on a really small head :P . I never looked at anything from Star Trek because its way to soft for me, I like Star Wars a bit more, but still too soft :) .
I'm going to finish this design like I intended to, and when it's done I try what your proposed.

Here's my wip 02.
Attachments:

12 Sep 2014 15:11 #6164 by Thomgirl
Well, I was thinking along the lines of using like a Star Wars blaster with a phaser beam or Star Wars type clothing but in Star Trek colors. Things people may just initially overlook unless they really looked at it and said 'Hey... wait a second!' Now, another thought would be with your helmut is to change the color from the standard Vader black to something else more vibrant which is common in the Trek universe. The only thing I'm concerned about with your concept is he'll just look like Darth Kat instead of Wrath of Kat. So far there's very little else tying him to the Star Trek universe.