- Posts: 1256
- Thank you received: 96
October Challenge: Horror rework
September entries: Legend
Important, change your password!
Go here for further information: https://cgartnexus.com/index.php/forum/announcements/840-hacked
CGAN Jan 2015 Challenge - White as Snow - WIPs
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Mic, the reason why I did not make the foreground characters darker was because it has the affect of pushing them back into the image. Typically foreground objects should be brighter and have greater contrast, whilst the background should be darker. Thanks for the paint over. I always like to see the forumites doing that!
Everything's on the right!!!
It's like driving abroad!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- SchizophreniaWolf
-
- Offline
- Junior Member
-
- Posts: 170
- Thank you received: 10
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I am really impressed by the breadth of ideas being churned out for this challenge!
Everything's on the right!!!
It's like driving abroad!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
The dark area at the top right corner of your picture (and particularly the hard edge it makes with the brighter sky) has a really distinct value difference, compared with the Elsa figure who has a fairly high key (bright) but narrow value range. This is why the dark bit seems to push itself forward in your mind.
Adding a bit of snow/mist/haze over the more distant areas but NOT over the nearer figures should separate them. Also blurring the distant parts a little may add a depth of field type effect (Pedantic Scientist Again: although that may not be technically correct for a wide landscape view it still might work.)
Schizo: Hmm, where's the emoticon for "furious envy"?
That's brilliant, the icy wings, the colour and that volumetric light stabbing down from the top corner. Please find the time to finish. Quit your job if necessary!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Everything's on the right!!!
It's like driving abroad!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I've been mentioning the dark bit a lot and I suddenly just thought: instead of trying to tone that down it might be better to do something elsewhere to draw your eye away from it. The idea I had was to brighten the area behind Elsa's body (there's a nice V shape converging there already) maybe even with pure white and then darken her dress a little especially round the hips and the waist. This would create a high contrast area a bit like halos in religious paintings and would immediately draw your eye to Elsa who is after all the star of the image. And once you've got the attention there the darker bits won't matter at all.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I will give it some thought. Actually, I had the idea of making her more pale and pushing her further back. There are some scaling issues that are sitting uncomfortably with me.
I will see what I can do.
Everything's on the right!!!
It's like driving abroad!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- microscopi
-
- Offline
- Premium Member
-
- Posts: 743
- Thank you received: 79
I can see where your going with the lighting and background, hope you have time to finish.
Thanks for comment on mine, I have been struggling with a good 'camera angle' perspective without using 3D package.
Dom doing the paint over was cool, it reminded me of doing a coloring book as a kid but with way better art!
I think what you have now looks great. If I had to change anything would be to scale some of the guys in the background
down and add more of them to show more depth.
Cherry thanks for the thumbs up, as Dom said as well as yourself, my pics look so desolate and lonely, I don't know why that is, maybe i'm just a huge loner!?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
microscopi wrote: maybe ill give him a little doggy to keep him company
See, that's much nicer isn't it!!
Everything's on the right!!!
It's like driving abroad!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Schizo: Nice update, like the wing/ ice crystals. Looking forward to the final.
Domtopia: Looking good and I think the legs read much better. One thought with the wind apparently blowing to her right then her skirt might wrap tighter to the shape of her left leg.
Oaktree: Update is looking great. I agree with Charlotte and Dom about the snow. The current snow looks great in the background but if it is supposed to be in front they would be larger.
Microscopi: The new update is looking really good. This shows a much better feel of spring and winter. The log wall looks nice. If you had made it out of ice it would look like the Wall in Game of Thrones.
CherryGraphics: Like update especially the frozen flame. But now I wonder have the kids frozen a flame breathing dragon, like a young Elsa, or is the dragon firing flames that freeze as it leaves his mouth.
And now my latest WIP:
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Facebook Feed
Member Statistics
- Total Users: 228
- Latest User: DanielWilson
- Online Users: 0
- Users Today: 0
- Users this Week: 0
- Users this Month: 0
- Users this Year: 2
NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.
By using this website you agree to the use of cookies and related data storage as detailed in our privacy policy. Learn more
Site design Mad Hamster Studios. All content is protected under © and the property of the various contributers and not to be reproduced without permission of the creator.




Probably not

