April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

YAYYY< ALMOST DONE (Needs some tweaks , I would love commentary)_ESPECIALLY HAIR

28 Feb 2022 16:40 - 28 Feb 2022 19:13 #39822 by Pitiful

My life is a Puzzle, One day the pieces will make sense and fall into place.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Feb 2022 16:56 #39823 by Valence
This certainly looks a lot cleaner than the previous works. :thumbup:
And I think you can continue with this to push it a little further. Clean up some of those edges on the left sleeve and maybe add a little pink to the cheeks with a low opacity brush.
Then you could start to think about adding a touch of soft shading to the body to bring more dimension to the figure.
Keep going! :)

01 Mar 2022 00:57 #39835 by Pitiful

Attachments:

01 Mar 2022 12:08 #39836 by Banj
I've moved this to the thread you already started on this image. It's not necessary to create a new thread for every update you post, just reply to the existing thread. This helps everyone keep track of what you are doing.

01 Mar 2022 14:55 - 01 Mar 2022 15:26 #39842 by Valence
This is coming along nicely. Well done for persevering.
I think the hair looks very soft and while that does work well to express the texture I still think that it's worthwhile to tighten up a few of the strands to pick out some detail with some subtle highlights. Also by choosing a dark colour it does make it more difficult to show form within that value range. Introducing a paler midtone at the top of the head could improve it a little more but I do like the little sheen of light at the front.

The main advice is still to be patient with your brushwork and choices. I know that does sound very boring when you're eager to work quick and finish something, but that speed will come later. For now you just need to build the habit of working precisely within the linework to control your edges and find the forms with shading.

EDIT: And I've just realised that you posted the pic while I was typing this. I must learn to type faster. :lol:
But my advice here still stands. :)

01 Mar 2022 19:12 #39848 by Pitiful

Attachments:

01 Mar 2022 21:11 #39857 by Valence
The face certainly looks better in this version. The previous one was rather muddy but the shapes seem much clearer here. :aha: