May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Pursuing MFA?

11 Mar 2015 06:34 #9514 by octoberstormxx
Pursuing MFA? was created by octoberstormxx
Hello everyone!

Long time no see! I've been crazy busy because I graduate in a few months.

Anyway, I wanted your guys' opinion on whether or not I should pursue an MFA degree in painting/drawing/studio art. I know I want to pursue teaching at the post-secondary level, but I haven't decided whether for art, creative writing, or both. I think I would enjoy teaching either subject. Therefore I have been debating on applying to graduate programs. I'd like feedback on A.) if I should try pursuing this (I don't want to waste money and time if I stand no chance, you know?) and B) what programs would you recommend, if you know of any in America?

Here's a link to my portfolio: hungryxhungryxhippos.deviantart.com/gallery/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Mar 2015 14:28 #9519 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Pursuing MFA?
Will the new degree allow you to do that? What will your current training allow you to pursue?

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

11 Mar 2015 18:35 - 11 Mar 2015 18:37 #9522 by octoberstormxx
Replied by octoberstormxx on topic Pursuing MFA?
Hey, Dom!

Well, it does depend on the university. Most universities require a Ph.D to teach. However, some community colleges only require an MFA. I intend to get my Ph.D of possible.

My current Bachelors degree doesn't do much on its own. I really need a further degree in either writing or at to teach classes.

11 Mar 2015 19:39 #9524 by Domtopia
What level do you want to teach at?

If your current degree doesn't do much, then you will need to go for the next level I guess. But it does raise the question of why even bother with that first level if it does nothing! Is there really nothing you can do with it?

11 Mar 2015 21:02 #9526 by octoberstormxx
Replied by octoberstormxx on topic Pursuing MFA?

What level do you want to teach at?

If your current degree doesn't do much, then you will need to go for the next level I guess. But it does raise the question of why even bother with that first level if it does nothing! Is there really nothing you can do with it?

Post-secondary.

And haha, I pursued this degree because I knew I wanted to teach post-secondary. I always knew I was in for the long haul. The time and money is not an issue for me.

11 Mar 2015 21:49 - 11 Mar 2015 21:50 #9527 by Domtopia
Well there's your answer! If you need the new degree to teach at that level, then you should do it!

Especially so, since the time and money are no issue for you!