May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

jusabi's doodles

28 Dec 2014 11:44 #7867 by jusabi
jusabi's doodles was created by jusabi
Hi guys! I'm so happy that I've found this place. I know some of you from Imagine FX forum (R.I.P.) where my nick name was different (medrez). OK! To the point. This is my latest image and my first landscape ever. It's not very fancy, it's just something simple that took me around 2 hours. Any C&C are very welcome. Take care!

File Attachment:

I called it "Emotional landslide" :D, I just love Bjork so don't judge ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Dec 2014 16:49 - 28 Dec 2014 16:50 #7869 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic jusabi's doodles
Hey welcome jusabi! Not bad for a first landscape, the vibrant colors really make it stand out, and I like the solid brushstrokes, perspective is interesting too. Keep them coming! Great to see you found the site :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jusabi

28 Dec 2014 17:05 #7870 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic jusabi's doodles
Welcome to the forums! That's a nice piece but I think the rocks could use more lighting to give them form. Right now they look rather flat or 2D. Enjoy your stay!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jusabi

28 Dec 2014 19:19 #7873 by jusabi
Replied by jusabi on topic jusabi's doodles
Thank you guys! Good advice crankshaft, I might try and work on them a bit more. I was also thinking about adding some other stuff to that image like a little brook maybe, some animals. Let me know what you guys think.

28 Dec 2014 20:07 #7874 by jusabi
I've added few quick and simple details to rocks and ground.

File Attachment:

30 Dec 2014 11:29 #7882 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic jusabi's doodles
Hi jusabi/medrez! Welcome to the new forum!
Not at all bad for a first environment, I'd say. I think adding animals (plural) might crowd it some, but I could see a discreet figure in a grey pointy hat against the horizon, sort of camoflaged among the pointy rocks. ;) (Or maybe I just watched The Hobbit too recently...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

30 Dec 2014 14:52 #7896 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic jusabi's doodles

Hey welcome jusabi! Not bad for a first landscape, the vibrant colors really make it stand out, and I like the solid brushstrokes, perspective is interesting too. Keep them coming! Great to see you found the site :cheer:

Just what Mic said!!

I really like this. Lovely bright colours!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

30 Dec 2014 18:49 #7901 by Kodabble
Replied by Kodabble on topic jusabi's doodles
Jusabi, glad you found the new site.
Ditto with everyone on the colors, especially like the sky.
Are these actual drawings of stones as I haven't seen rocks with such skinny rock areas. To me this makes the one on the left look like it was set there as a free standing object rather then part of the natural setting. keep going, if this is a first it is coming along nicely.

30 Dec 2014 20:58 - 30 Dec 2014 21:14 #7905 by jusabi
Kodabble! Thank you :)
It's a drawing from imagination. I didn't use any ref photos. I've started with few simple lines, very sketchy and quick. Than blocked colours on separate layers, added cutting mask to each layer for some simple details, and that was it. And somehow I didn't save all my progress :/

Charlotte ;) I've watched "The Hobbit" two days ago, and that's a great idea. The only thing that's bother me all the time when I think about Gandalf...why he didn't use magic during the battle? hmmmm :?

31 Dec 2014 10:35 #7912 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic jusabi's doodles
I was wondering the same thing. He can stop Balrogs with his magic but once the orcs attack he just bumps them on their little heads with his cane. I mean Staff. :silly:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.