May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN Nov 23 - Super Villain - Final entries

01 Nov 2023 12:45 - 01 Nov 2023 12:46 #47814 by Banj
Super Villain

Brief:
Design and depict a Super Villain or Villains.

Deadline: Midnight on Thursday the 30th of November. 

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...3-super-villain-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Nov 2023 13:44 #48167 by Banj
WIP 1: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...r-villain-wips#48049
WIP 2: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#48056
WIP 3: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=20#48104
WIP 4: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=20#48147

Here is issue 22 of the long forgotten comic The Random Man from December 1966 which contains the very first appearance of... that villain, oh you know the one... his name escapes me right now.

Attachments:

29 Nov 2023 20:10 - 29 Nov 2023 20:29 #48178 by Valence
Sketchy Brain.  

Clunky Exposition.  

I'll post them separately first...

...but I think it's readable as a double page. :unsure:

Hopefully there isn't a typo in there. If there is it may have to stay that way. :)

EDIT: And there is a typo. :cry:
Do I have time to fix it? :hmm:

EDIT 2: :whistle:
Attachments:

01 Dec 2023 12:32 #48204 by Charlotte
Right. I came here for a reason but.... what was it again? :hmm:
Oh yes, VOTING!

Which is the better supervillain, that guy whose name nobody can remember or the really really old and wrinkly thing?

Voting should close around nov 8th or thereabouts...

Did I forget something? :dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Dec 2023 12:36 - 01 Dec 2023 12:37 #48206 by Banj
It's voting time. Cast your vote for one of the entries hereby listed right here:
  • Valence
  • Banj
Voting will close on the stroke of midnight on the 8th, and will instantly be counted up and a winner announced on the morning of the 9th (this likely wont happen, but it's nice to imagine such efficiency).

EDIT - 

01 Dec 2023 12:41 #48208 by Charlotte

01 Dec 2023 12:43 #48210 by Valence
Ohh, can I join in?
It's time to vote!
Cast your vote for one of the entries and make sure you choose before the 8th. :P

And I will.
Banj. :paranoid: :brb:

His picture ticks all the right boxes for this brief especially for the way it captures the comic book look in so many ways. Not just the aged creases and the texture and the dots, but also the way that the artwork is designed and executed. The composition, the poses and the process, with the sketch then linework, the inking and colour; all of it shows an intuitive understanding of the medium that results in something that looks completely authentic.
Unlike my repeated comic efforts over the years that continue to look like I've just taken some normal colour sketches and arranged them into panels with some boxed lettering on top. :blush:

Part of me is a little sad that Blokey Man didn't survive to the end but Random Man is probably a better choice. :)

01 Dec 2023 12:54 #48213 by Charlotte
My vote goes to Banj as well, for all the stuff that Val said. It looks quite authentic. I do like Val's painterly comic too, though, and admire the effort of making multiple images for one challenge. And there's nothing wrong with painterly comics - Vincente Segrelles painted the Mercenary in oils, after all :)

01 Dec 2023 12:56 #48215 by Banj
Time to cast your vote... I mean

Valence

It is readable and successfully tells the story, and works as a double page spread. The environments are great as is villainous exposed brain (who I am calling the Ancient Brian).

01 Dec 2023 17:47 #48225 by Valence
Yeah, I called him that too. :lol:
In fact that was the potential typo that I was terrified of making and I spent so long checking and re-checking it that I didn't noticed the other spelling error that had to be corrected. :)

Oh, wait- No talking in the voting thread. I remember. Shhhh. :brb: