April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN May-23 Challenge: Star Wars Finals

01 May 2023 11:26 - 01 May 2023 11:28 #45409 by Charlotte
Star Wars

Brief: We're just doing what everyone else is doing this time of year. May the forf be wif you. 

Deadline: Midnight on Wednesday the 31st of May. 

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (works in progress) should be posted over here: 
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...lenge-star-wars-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 May 2023 18:03 - 31 May 2023 22:54 #45713 by Valence
Yoda Head.  
Green Body.  
Hair And Outfit.  
Lab Coat.  
X-Wing.  
Dagobah.  
UV Wing.  
teXture Wing.  

Now I just need John Williams to play that music for me. :hmm:

:yoda:

EDIT: And with six minutes to go I fixed his squishy fingers in the last panel. :P
Attachments:

01 Jun 2023 09:55 - 01 Jun 2023 09:56 #45722 by Banj
Begun the Clone Wars challenge votes have   (end they will, midnight of the 8th)

01 Jun 2023 14:14 #45725 by Valence
I vote Banj. :aha:

It's a brilliant and original idea (for a challenge that he said was unoriginal :whistle:) and a great pun that works visually beyond the simple wordplay.
As well as the excellent modelling and design, the thing that really stands out is the texturing. Everything just looks so realistic, from the sheen of the metal, the natural grains of the wood, the succulent food cooking away and that cardboard box is amazing.
The only minor change I'd consider is the book. I'd expect a cook book associated with this marvellous product to be a larger hardback and that one makes me think of a pulpy, paperback novel instead.
But even with that choice it's still a fantastic image that manages to make all the right movie references while presenting them in a recognisable advertising format.
The only thing missing is the price (P&P included.) :lol:

01 Jun 2023 14:42 #45729 by Banj
And I vote for Valence.

I was expecting one scene and up pop three, all of which have some nice atmospheric volumetric lighting. Yoda looks more convincing than the puppet version they used in the initial release of The Phantom Menace before they swapped it out for the CG one. I would maybe like to see some water running off the wings and a bit more stuff in the swampy water under the X-Wing as it's just been lifted up. 

09 Jun 2023 12:42 #45792 by Banj

09 Jun 2023 13:04 #45793 by Charlotte
I'm sorry, did I forgot to make up my mind again? :dumb:

I was sure I would vote Banj when he posted his final. And then Val posted his and I wasn't sure anymore :dry:
In other words, whenever I don't vote in time, it's all your fault :shakefist:

That said, I agree with your feedback for each other.
The cookbook looks a bit small and paper backish, for the given situation. I think I might have also placed both the wooden thingies to the right on the counter/table. Right now it's a bit of an in your face path tp the book and I think I'd have found the image more balanced with them both to the right.
And Val's water surface is disturbingly undisturbed for having just been breached by that spacecraft... I also think the vague figure of Luke somehow looks a bit too much like C3P0 there in the back. Something about the pose - and probably the proximity of R2D2. I'm impressed by the sculpting of Yoda's face, though. (I might try - sorry, do - I might do some Blender sculpting for the current challenge. Maybe. We'll see...)

But I am almost forgetting to vote again. I guess I should, even if it's late? :dumb:
I think I still vote Banj - because it all looks so real. (You don't have all that stuff standing in your basement, bought at some convention, do you? :paranoid: )

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 Jun 2023 13:25 #45794 by Banj
Thanks for the votes. 

Not only do I not have that stuff in my basement. I don't even have a basement. (I do own a wok and some similar looking wooden spoons and spatulas though). I expect to see the sculpting for the current challenge  (I'm not going to stop staring until I see it).