April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Oct21 - Orctober Finals

01 Nov 2021 21:28 - 01 Nov 2021 21:30 #37608 by Valence
Hey, everyone's voted before me this month. :ohmy:
So I won't have to type as much... maybe. ;)

I love the painterly energy of Segujo's brush strokes. So lively and stylish yet it still defined the figure with a wonderful sense of dimension thanks to your understanding of light. I'm also impressed by the warmth you've got in some of those skin tones, something that's really hard to do when you choose a green base tone.

Excellent work from Charlotte too and so efficient to get it done so quickly. The way the shading and form develops gradually up the picture from that background gradient is a very clever way to make a vignette and gives the character a looming stature. Great pose too with those alternating angles of the body bringing life and attitude to the personality. Awesome axe as well. So smooth, so shiny, so solid. So brilliantly unlike another axe that may be stuck in Leo's head. :lol:

And much as I love the others (and the unfinished ones that didn't quite beat the deadline) it IS very hard to not pick Banj. Those textures are simply sensational and, as you showed in this pic and some WIPS, they work in every setting under all lighting conditions. When I look at my own effort to examine those attempted "leather" straps, the difference between them and your amazing armour is so vast it's almost embarrassing. But I don't say that in a negative way, I am happy with what I've achieved and what I've learned along the way, it's far better than I expected to do and that is mainly due to the insightful feedback and advice that everyone was sharing along the way.

And not only did he do all those textures, he did them twice after that crash!
So, for all that and for including legs, my vote also goes to... Banj.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Nov 2021 15:33 #37787 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic CGAN Oct21 - Orctober Finals
I believe voting is now over. Not many votes this time around sadly, but we have enough for a winner which is... um, me. Congratulations me 

Thank you for the votes. The Mongol look was an intentional design decision as I looked up Tolkein's description of Orcs before I started which pointed me in that general direction.

09 Nov 2021 16:07 #37790 by Charlotte
Oh dear... I was so sure you'd win I completely forgot about ending the vote... :dumb:

Congratulations you! :woohoo:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 Nov 2021 19:02 #37794 by Valence
Well done, Banj! :thumbup: