CGAN April 2020 - Alone - Final entries

Poll: April challenge voting

Valence
3 60%
Atto
1 20%
hansnomad
1 20%
Total number of voters: 5 ( hansnomad, oaktree, Valence, Charlotte, Atto )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Apr 2020 18:38 - 11 May 2020 11:34 #28562 by Banj
Alone

Brief: Interpret the title into a wondrous piece of artwork.

Deadline: Midnight on the 30th of April. Voting poll open until midnight of the 8th of May

This is where you post your final entries. WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...pril-2020-alone-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - VALENCE

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2020 17:19 #28814 by Valence
A day early but I won't get any more done tomorrow and I can't guarantee that the internet will be working then. :dry:

Space...
...Man.

With extra lens flare to stop him getting too lonely. :P

Attachments:

30 Apr 2020 00:04 - 30 Apr 2020 00:11 #28824 by Atto
I’m done early too.
I’m sure it will come as a complete surprise but I’ve ran out of time again.
I wish I had more time to resolve the zombie and refine the ambient light that’s coming from behind him but enoughs enough and I need some sleep.

cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#28806

cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#28807

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

30 Apr 2020 20:44 #28832 by hansnomad
Link to WIPs (two in one post): cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#28711

I love the work I've seen. The spaceman has that vast, "Gravity" feel and the lighting in Atto's piece is phenomenal. Great work, guys.

Here's "After the Storm"

Attachments:

01 May 2020 13:51 #28837 by Banj
The voting poll is open and will close at the end of the 8th of May. Vote... now.

01 May 2020 15:08 #28840 by oaktree
What a great crop of paintings we had for April.

Valence fits the bill for alone in that great expanse I like the colours

Atto love some of the subtle lighting touches that add real definition to the shapes but alone did not work for me

hansnomad love all the work on this , again not quite alone for me however it gets my vote though

01 May 2020 15:40 #28841 by Atto
Excellent work both!

Vals entry really hit the brief head on and that feeling of loneliness comes across really powerfully. The colours and composition are really just spot on.

Hansnomad: technically excellent and painted with such precision. The mountain in the background is fantastically well rendered and the contrast of warm vs cool colours brings such a feeling of atmosphere to the idea of a storm just passed. I also love that you’ve continued it in that small detail bottom left too.

A word about my own entry: I had just watched I Am Legend and liked the idea that this guy was the last human survivor of the apocalypse but as Oaktree correctly identified the theme of Alone just isn’t present here.

It’s for that reason that my vote this month has to go to Valence. I actually prefer Hans’ entry but it doesn’t (as convincingly) fit the brief as Vals does.

Hopefully I’ll see you all next month for Carnival!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

01 May 2020 16:19 #28844 by Charlotte
Pretty much echoing what's been said. I think Hans's image looks lovely though the "Alone" aspect doesn't come through without the backstory. For Atto I like that it's kind of an inversion of the theme - just before the guy realises he's NOT alone. But Valence gets my vote for that beautiful image of a terribly scary situation.

Oaktree forgot to actually use the poll ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 May 2020 20:47 - 02 May 2020 01:28 #28851 by Valence
This is tricky because they're both amazing paintings! Well done!

Hansnomad's looks just like an epic book cover. You can almost feel the chill of that wind blowing one way and the warmth of the sun shining from the other. Fantastic texture too in the outfit and the use of purple touches in the shadows keeps the dark areas looking lively. And that face, with the expression reaching beyond us into the distance, implies the start of an adventure story that I can't wait to read. :)

Meanwhile Atto really nails a sense of creepiness. I said it before and will again, the light on that hand is brilliant! It carves out the shape like a piece of sculpture and the saturated glow convincingly tells you about the skin and the flesh within. The reflection in the eyes emphasizes the character's focus and that makes the unseen presence behind even more sinister.

Soooo.... I think I'll probably go for Atto.
It's almost as if the brief here is used as a question. "Alone?" And only the viewer knows the real answer and that interaction with us adds a little bit extra to the image making it worthy of my vote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

04 May 2020 23:42 #28915 by hansnomad
Valence gets my vote for alignment to the theme of the challenge and excellent artistic execution. And because it made me feel really lonely looking at it --great use of empty space to really drive home the theme.

Atto also had a fantastic entry (I'm still looking at the lighting in that scene). It seriously creeps me out. But only when I focus on the zombie guy and stop admiring the lighting. Great job!

This was fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto