April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Zodiac Challenge - Virgo - Finals

Poll: Virgo Voting (was ended 2015-09-28 00:00:00)

Valence
4 80%
CherryGraphics
1 20%
Total number of voters: 5 ( CherryGraphics, Atto, evilrobot, Digital Dave, Valence )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
20 Aug 2015 16:54 - 02 Oct 2015 12:16 #12076 by Charlotte
Virgo (August 23 - September 22)

The zodiac challenge will aim to run for the entire zodiac year and work with the timescale of each zodiac sign. This is a 'just for fun' challenge, but you will have a lovely set of horoscope images if you choose to take part. Kazky will be the main moderator for these challenges so contact her if you have questions or issues.

We will be sticking to the western zodiac, apologies to other zodiacs :)
Research each sign and depict it however you interpret it.

Deadline: September 20th (note 20th, not 22nd)
WIP thread: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...challenge-virgo-wips

Rules in brief:
All challenge entries must be your own work.
You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
Each member may cast one vote.
No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - Valence

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Sep 2015 19:55 #12340 by Valence
I've done enough now so here goes...

1: Scribble And Colour.
2: Face And Hands.
3: Hands And Hair.
4: Flip And Stretch.

And now ruin with stars!
But before I get beaten up by Pedantic Astronomers let me state that I know I've taken some liberties with relative magnitude and spectral class. Artistic License, I say, and I kind of liked the blue vs yellow colour scheme.
I did make some final tweaks, nudging the eye and adding a bit more definition to the brow and forehead. It's a bit better, still not perfect but it'll have to do.

Good Luck Everyone!
Attachments:

17 Sep 2015 05:33 #12347 by CherryGraphics
Okay this is it!

1) The idea behind / first sketch
...long time nothing...
2 ) almost done

So, good luck to all ... or at least to Val in case there are just the two of us :whistle:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

21 Sep 2015 21:33 #12386 by Valence
Cherry:
There's a really lovely mood to your picture and this is mainly to do with your excellent use of reflected light (as Atto mentioned in the wip thread.) I like the design of the tree, especially that swirling helical pattern to the trunk like an organic helterskelter. The shape links perfectly with the flow of the water, extending it vertically to create a sense of movement through the whole image. The foreground flowers work to suggest the plane for the reclining figure and their bright, saturated colours match the familiar frame that continues the design language from your Leo picture.
The one minor issue is the girl's right hand. A bit more refinement to the shape would define the wrist a little better and help it match the quality of the rest of the figure. Aside from that it's another vibrant and striking image that carries on the consistent style of your zodiac series.

Robin:
It always a pity when you don't have the time to finish. You had a nice idea and composition there. Also your eager, enthusiastic awesomeness at the start of the challenge was quite infectious. Don't lose that!

21 Sep 2015 21:57 #12387 by Digital Dave
Both images came out great! But have to give a vote to, Valence. Love her expression, and the hair & lighting is fantastic.

Well done to you both...

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

22 Sep 2015 07:42 #12395 by CherryGraphics
Val your Virgo is a beautiful girl :) I like the fragile aura that surrounds her. :)

Just one little things: the clothe looks a bit hard. It could have some more smooth edges to fit better with the fragile virgo. Or she uses the wrong fabric softener. :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

30 Sep 2015 13:32 #12475 by Thomgirl
My vote is for Valence too.

I would like to note though that this was a hard call for me. Conceptually, I like yours more, Cherry. But there's something off about her feet and it does seem like the piece as a whole feels like it's missing your usual 'polish'.

Valence: Yours is very beautiful in execution, but I feel like it's really missing that 'Virgo' feel for me. There are not a lot of indicators other than the title and the fact she's a 'she' that make me think of the Virgo sign. It's a beautiful piece and I think it still works well as the subject, but I gotta admit (and this is my bias) that I love symbolism and I feel that the zodiac lends well to that sort of thing.

Overall, great job to both for putting in the effort and submitting!

02 Oct 2015 09:33 #12500 by Charlotte
Congratulations Valence!

Sorry for my absence, I've been ill all week. Will ask Banj to help sort challenge thingies.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Oct 2015 20:10 #12511 by Valence
Woohoo :woohoo: *pumps fist*

Thank you all for votes and comments.
And yes Thomgirl, I do agree about the lack of symbolic context. I just tend to shove the stars in and hope everyone will "get it". Superficial laziness on my part. ;)
But kudos to Cherry for the fabric softener remark. :lol: Very funny and very accurate too. I didn't notice while painting it but the drapery does look thick and heavy.

And I hope you feel better soon, Charlotte.