April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Story Game v2.0

02 May 2018 15:20 #21040 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Story Game v2.0
yup, and they'll all sit there around their camp, silently, waiting.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2018 15:23 #21041 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Story Game v2.0
Valence will have everyone killed off long before they land anyway. :argh:

02 May 2018 15:31 - 02 May 2018 17:09 #21042 by Charlotte
Comatose maybe. I don't think he'll kill everyone. Yet.

Edit, adding a somewhat short* bit below
*comparatively

02 May 2018 17:09 #21043 by Charlotte
Finally! Yana sat belted next to one of the shuttle windows, staring out at the ever larger trees below. She’d been to parks and exhibits since she was little, but this was the real thing. Disorderly and chaotic, a multitude of plants and animals such as she had never seen before. Yesterday she had sent her last message home to her mother, for the next month at least. It would take almost that long to reach home, anyway. And she had attended the evening briefing where Security didn’t actually have anything new to say, so basically it became another opportunity to mingle and have drinks. Though she noted many were wary of drinking anything the night before departure, with Borden’s fate in mind.

Everyone knew that quadrant 1 was considered the most interesting - it was near an ocean and promised several rare metal deposits. The largest team was sent there and that’s where Borden was supposed to have gone. Yana remembered the dark, angry eyes of Professor Ganda when it was confirmed that Borden had indeed had too much ale. She must be both disappointed in him and peeved that the gossipers had been right. Still, Yana thought Ganda had done the right thing. They had to work together and they had important scientific investigations to carry through, they should not be spreading rumours about each other and possibly undermine the whole operation.

Her team, heading for section - or quadrant - X-8, was relatively small. Three shuttles, whereof the security shuttle was the largest and the first to land. It had a couple of vehicles on board, though they might not be able to use them as there were no roads. It really depended on what the undergrowth looked like beneath these massive trees. However, the vehicles could be left behind and the whole crew got out of there fast in that one shuttle, if needed. She watched it circle the tree tops near a glade where they were to land and set up camp. Startled birdlike creatures suddenly swarmed up from the tree tops and then, when they realised this new strange threat came from the sky, dispersed and disappeared. She could almost hear them, or rather she imagined what they might sound like. Their raucous shrieks and chatter and then a sudden silence. The security personel were landing. They would secure the area before they let the other two shuttles land. They liked securing things. “I guess that’s why they’re called security” Yana thought whimsically, while straining to make out different tree varieties, possible animals, the glade they were to land in, eager to take it all in.

05 May 2018 02:47 #21061 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Story Game v2.0
*Steps on Banj's toes and hopes to not contradict his idea*

Huwo looked on at the pack of apes sitting motionless on the forest floor. There was no movement yet. No change. Only stillness and anticipation. Huwo turned and left them waiting. The wounded leg made it difficult to move, difficult to stand. It made this body weak. Huwo reached out an arm to maintain balance and the hand settled on the nearest tree trunk. Upon contact it immediately pulled away. It felt odd. The tree.The bark. He touched another tree and it felt the same. As did another. And another. They all felt wet and sticky, as if covered with sap. And now his hand felt sticky too. Huwo sniffed the hand. Tasted it with a reluctant tongue. It was not the sweet taste of sap. He stepped back into a shaft of light that cut through a gap in the canopy. Now out of the shadow he could clearly see the substance that covered the trees and his hand. It was red. Red like the wound on his leg, like his weakness. The red was everywhere and the colour induced a new instinct, a new feeling, one never felt before by him or his kind. Not the feeling of bark, not the touch of hard nor soft, not smooth nor rough. It was not a feeling "out there". It was in here. It was something inside. Huwo felt ... "guilt". He opened his mouth to express it, to communicate it, but the only noise was the scream that was heard when he died. Bouncing and echoing beneath the forest canopy the sound remained while Huwo did not. On the ground where he had stood, a fine coating of silver dust rippled like a wave of misty, metallic water. With a swell and an ebb, a swell and an ebb, the dust rhythmically surged back to the pack of apes. It settled for a moment and then, like a time reversed splash, concentric circular ripples collapsed inwards to leave only the shiny sphere.

Of course I'm nervous. Who wouldn't be? Everybody gets nervous. You're SUPPOSED to get nervous. It's how you deal with it that matters. Nerves are there to keep you on your toes. To keep your senses sharp. Show me a man without nerves and I'll show you a fool. Or a robot. Speaking of which, ours is secured at the back of the shuttle. Our very own robot. It's not an android, though. It's a quadruped support drone. This one's a Dynix Ordem model 990. DO-990. Yep, that's right, we call it Doggo, you're way ahead of me here. You've gotta have a sense of humour when you're a soldier. It gets you through the dark times. Not that I've had any though. But the older guys, they've been in battles, they've seen Combat. (They always say it as if it's capitalized.) Part of me wishes that I had, at least people take you seriously then. Until then, you're only really pretending to be a soldier. Everything's training. Everything's practice. Everything's make believe. This is real though. We're landing on an alien planet, a real alien planet, and there's no need to be nervous cos the robot's coming with us. I just hope I don't get the babysitting duties. I'm not really a tech person. Switch it off and on again, that's all I know. I'd much rather have another soldier watching my back. A band of brothers, and all that. Mutual trust and respect. But you've gotta have something expendable, I suppose. Especially if it's more expendable than me. Then again, putting your trust in one of those machines is always a leap of faith and I'm not always one for leaping.

"Suit up, people. Suit up!" That's Sergeant Holst. Barking out his orders. And we're already in our suits, we put them on before we got in the shuttle. He just means that it's time for the helmets to go on. All sensors and scans say that we should be able to breathe fine down there, although the Oxygen/Nitrogen ratio is a bit smaller than we're used to, but we should all be fine. Nothing to be nervous about. But you know how it is. First ones down have to be careful. The suit's a precaution. We do it so they don't have to. The scientists, I mean. Some people might say that we're the guinea pigs but in reality, we're the canaries. But there's nothing to be nervous about. We're canaries with guns. And why does that make me more nervous?
"I SAID, 'Suit up!' It wasn't a serving suggestion. It was an order and you take orders, don't you, Jinnik?"
Jinnik, that's me. And he's right, I do take orders, so the helmet's going on. It locks into place with a satisfying thunk. I hit the pressurize switch with the palm of my hand and system boots with a disorientating hiss. My ears pop and the glass in front of my eyes fogs for a moment. It clears and I see Sergeant Holst's pretty face. He's loving this.
"There you go, lad." I nod at him as he pats me on the head. Then he says, "Now you're ready to take Doggo for a walk!"
And I try not to groan.

Hawa touched the tree. It left her hand warm and sticky. And red. She licked it without hesitation. It felt thick in her mouth. Overwhelming. She walked away from the pack. She walked away from Huwo, moving with a comfort and agility that he couldn't manage with his wounded leg. She plucked a familiar berry from an overhanging branch and placed it in her mouth. Hawa recalled the taste of that berry, its sharp, refreshing tang. She recalled it but didn't experience it now. She spat it out, licked her red hand once more and moved past the fruit.
Hawa emerged from the treeline that marked the edge of the forest, the extent of her habitat. The limits of home. Away from the shelter of the trees she felt exposed but unafraid. She felt like a leader, an explorer. She felt strong. The clarity of the atmosphere allowed her to see an enormous distance. She looked out and cast her curiosity far, seeing foreign forests different from the one she called home, distant rock formations holding aloft waterfalls and undulating lands spreading to the horizon.
Hawa's gaze even extended to that singular mountain that stabbed upwards into the clouds and beyond. The mountain kindled a sensation inside her. A feeling of...
Whatever the feeling was it was shattered by a sound from above. Startled, Hawa backed away, returning to the forest, and peered out from behind a tree. She saw a strange angular creature descending from the sky, spitting down a hot glow and coughing noisy, bitter, gases as it slowed and landed. The creature stayed there as if dead or resting until finally it seemed to open up. It was like the creature was giving birth to several tall apes with strange, shiny skins and a dull grey beast with four heavy legs.
If Hawa had remained she may have seen those creature move out and explore. She may even have seen one of them approach her. But Hawa was no longer here. All that was here was a shiny sphere.

The mountain looks astonishing. Never seen anything like it. It just looks too sharp. It's like a tooth biting into those purple clouds. You know, my dad used to climb mountains when he was young. He always wanted me to go along with him but I'd always be off doing my own thing. Kind of regret it now. Man, he would have loved to see this. I hope we get to go there. This is gonna be awesome. This whole place is amazing. THIS is why I joined the military. To be at the front line, the frontier. To be the first, the best. This is something to tell your kids about when you're old. Something to tell EVERYONE about. And they'll look at me like I'm some kind of hero. I can't believe I was nervous about-
And there goes Doggo bleeping away again. Always interrupting the special moments. That's the problem with robots. They scan, they analyze, they record and report but they don't UNDERSTAND. They'll never get what it feels like to be out here exploring.
"Yes, Doggo," I call out after him. And yes, it is a "him". You can tell. "I'm coming," I say as I turn. And there's Doggo. He's about 50 metres away at the edge of that forest, so I raise my weapon and check him out through the MagScope. He's standing alert as if he's found something by that tree. If he was a real dog he'd be wagging his tail.
"Jinnik to Holst." I get on the radio. "Jinnik to Holst."
"Report."
"Doggo's chirping up. He's acting like he's found something."
"Better not be another glitch."
"I'm doing the best I can here, Sarg. I'm closing in to check it out."
"Negative, Jinnik. Hold position. The team's on their way."
Hey, I go in anyway. We're not just soldiers here. We're explorers. It's like my old dad climbing mountains. Because it's there. I get to the robot, aiming my weapon, just in case. What is it, Doggo? Whatcha got there?"
His big head turns to 'look' at me. I wish it had proper eyes but it's just weird sensor stuff that makes him look pretty ugly. The head turns back and points at the ground. I go past the robot and crouch down to look. And I see it. I see it and I can't help but laugh. I look back at Doggo and then back at the shiny sphere but the sphere is gone.

Three hours later now and I'm at the debriefing back on the ship. It's just me and Holst although I'm sure there are others listening in. I've told my story. Again. And now I'm just waiting for him to say it.
"So," Holst says, "While all the REAL soldiers were securing the landing position and making it safe for the science teams you and your metal friend were off playing fetch with an imaginary ball."
I'm sure I can hear laughter somewhere. They're all laughing at me.
I just wanted to be taken seriously for once. To be a proper soldier. Doing real work. And this is what I get.
But I saw that sphere. I don't care what Doggo's records show. And I don't care if they don't believe me. I SAW that sphere. And if they don't listen they're gonna regret it.

05 May 2018 08:32 #21063 by Charlotte
Doggo! :lol:
though I'm wondering a bit about Jinnik's faculties... he sees something that obviously does not belong on an uninhabited (as per human definition) planet and he just laughs because Doggo found a ball? :p

05 May 2018 11:46 #21064 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Story Game v2.0
Yeah, I wouldn't want him on my team. :)
That's why he always gets Doggo Duties. I bet he doesn't even scoop the poop either. :lol:

But maybe he'll be useful if they ever get to that mountain. :hmm:

05 May 2018 14:24 - 05 May 2018 21:02 #21065 by Charlotte
every good story needs a bit of cannon fodder *cough*

EDIT: I do have some more stuff to write, but I don't seem to find the time (or is that inclination?) to write it down. Hopefully I'll manage something tomorrow.

06 May 2018 19:14 #21067 by Charlotte
(note, furry critters mentioned below are not intended to be the same as Huwo's kind although I suppose they could be if you guys insist...)

It had been a busy few days since they landed. But from her first steps on the strangely spongey ground vegetation to the first samples collected she had maintained her enthusiasm and curiousity. It was all still amazing. Only, it would be nice if the bed linen they had brought would adjust to the surrounding temperature, humidity and sleep cycle to ensure optimum comfort, just like the onboard sheets did... It was about time to turn in again, and she wasn’t too thrilled about another night in a slightly too warm and sweaty bed. She decided to send a message to Stella over in the X-3 camp. Stella had sent a buoyant greeting the first evening but after that they had not been in touch.

Yana touched her private console. It beeped gently and a screen shimmered to life. She gave the shortcut command for contacting Stella, but got no reply so she recorded a message for her instead. “Hey Stella! I’m about to turn in for the night, maybe you’re already asleep. Isn’t it all amazing? There’s just so much of everything! Plants, bugs, colours, sounds... It’s quite overwhelming really, but I’ve tried to focus on setting up the lab tent, and making sure all the equipment is ready and functional. We got the power supply for the lab up yesterday and today we collected the first soil samples. I can’t wait to see what we find! Oh, and I wanted to ask... We’ve got these cute little animals around the camp. Not sure what they are most like, lemurs maybe? Or those ghostly night critters with big eyes. They sit here and there in the trees around camp, looking at everything we do. If they didn’t look so cute and sleepy I’d find them a little unnerving. Do you have them too? I hope they’re not intending to eat us all in our sleep.” She laughed, the furry little things looked too much like terran insectivores to be a threat. “Well, I hope I’ll hear from you soon. The only news I’ve heard from other camps is a joke about a dog and a ball. I didn’t get it at all, but it’s some gossip among the security staff. Something that happened at X-1 I think. Maybe I should contact Holst and ask? Or maybe I don’t know him well enough.” She made a face of indecision. “Anyway, night night, don’t let any bugs bite...” *she ended the recording, pressed Send and turned off her console.

Meanwhile, in quadrant one, sgt Anton Holst sat by his own bedside and his own console. His console was dark and quiet, as was the camp. His face was dark too, frowning. This incident with the invisible ball had him worried. The robot’s records may show there was nothing there - but they also showed that the robot had reacted to something. And why would it react if... He sighed. Not to mention young Jinnik. Not following orders. Not understanding the potential threat that “ball” of his could pose. They had no idea what it was - if it was anything - but it seemed unlikely to be anything they had encountered before, as the robot would then have been able to provide more intel. Luckily there had been no more sightings of imaginary or disappearing items in the last couple of days. But he’d been in touch with the security commanders at the other camps, and as could be expected there were others than Jinnik who had not followed protocol either. It was always the same. Always. You train them, you try to bash sense into their heads and then when it all matters, there are always some who won’t take things seriously or who are just too daft to do right. Human error. Every time. And it was his job to prevent those errors from happening. At least among the soldiers.

Next morning, Yanna woke to a blinking light on her console, alerting her to a new message. It was a reply from Stella, send way into the small hours by the looks of it. Stellas face looked tired and stressed. “Hello Yarenka” She smiled faintly. “As you may have guessed by now I was not yet asleep when you messaged me. It’s been... “she paused, looking for words ”...overwhelming. Not quite the way you meant it. We’ve set up camp alright, the labs and everything’s up and running. But we had some over-excited youths on the team who decided to go for a swim before we had made sure it was safe. Turned out it wasn’t. One of them contracted some sort of parasite and is in bad shape, really. We don’t know how to treat it, yet, but we’ve managed to collect some samples of aquatic fauna carrying the same parasites. They don’t seem to be as adversely affected as the soldier, presumably due to co-evolution. If we can figure out how their bodies deal with the parasite maybe we can help him in time.” She looked worried enough for Yana to understand that they might soon have a death on their hands. “And as if that wasn’t enough, we’re close enough to the ocean to have come across an amphibian type creature that apparently spends its days in the water but comes up on land to hunt at night. They look kind of like octopi, or squids, but they can use their arms - rather short and sturdy, at least while on land - to walk. And they have a couple of those long tentacles for hunting, that they shoot out fast as lighting. Like chameleons I guess... But it turns out they also give off a neuro toxin and two of our soldiers came too close. Well, that’s how we found out. They’ll be alright, but it means we’re down three soldiers at the moment. Our security officer has contacted Holst about whether we should request reinforcements or not. Meanwhile, I need some shut eye. I’ve been helping the medics rather than doing any animal behaviour observations so far, but I look forward to seeing a glimpse of those furry cuties you mentioned. Good night, dear.” Stella waved and reached towards the console to end her recording and Yana’s screen blinked and became a transparent pale glow again. She felt Stella’s worries affect her and her enthusiasm dwindle, as she turned the console off with a frown. Probably not a good idea to contact Holst for some inside intel and chatter, right now. She left her bunk and exited the sleeping tent, stepping into the sunshine.

08 May 2018 14:18 #21083 by Charlotte
twiddle dee twiddle dum :unsure: