April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Story Game v2.0

30 Apr 2018 21:05 #20986 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Story Game v2.0
tsk tsk and that's such a simple unpresuming little word, too...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2018 00:58 - 01 May 2018 01:21 #20987 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Story Game v2.0
Helena Grey sat at her desk with her eyes closed and rubbed her temples with her fingertips. She let out a breath that was also a sigh and was also a groan. "So we have enough vaccines? You're sure?"
"Stocks are more than adequate," replied the attendant nurse, trying to be cheerful and assertive.
"Don't say adequate." Helena opened her eyes and with a wave of her hand cast away the dark strands of her hair and then pushed them behind an ear. "I hate that word ... 'adequate.' It just makes me think, 'INadequate.' Use another word next time."
"Er- OK," the young nurse stuttered.
"And we've synthesized enough blood plasma?"
"Stocks are... " the nurse paused for too long. "...sufficient?"
Helena couldn't help but smile a little. "Thank you. You can go now." She rolled her eyes at the nurse's efforts to please her but there was no-one here to see it now. She was alone in her little office. Until another figure crept into the doorway and rapped a knuckle on the door.
"Excuse me," the older woman with the white hair spoke with an apologetic tone as if she felt she was intruding here.
Helena groaned and sighed and exhaled again. "Yes, yes, yes," she repeated quickly, rising from her seat to stride towards the woman. "And what are you?" she continued walking past the woman and through the door, leading her away from the small office into the much larger sick bay.
"WHAT am I??" she was a little stunned by the question.
"Yes," Helena turn back to face her. "What are you? Doctor? Professor? Colonel? Emperor??" She ran both hands through her hair in exasperation. "I feel like I'm suffering from Title Tinnitus. I can't remember when someone just told me their name."
"Well, you can just call me, Elander." The woman responded with a warm understanding.
Helena looked to the ceiling with an expression of mock, exaggerated relief. "Thank you. Thank you." As she lowered her gaze to restore eye contact that parody of relief seemed to crystallize into something more genuine. "You know, it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for this..." Unable to immediately find what she was talking about she looked frantically around. "Ah, there it is." She plucked something off a nearby workstation and showed it to Elander.
It was a name badge that read, "Helena Grey: Doctor."
"You see that?"
"Doctor?"
"Exactly. Doctor. AFTER the name. You know why?"
Elander shrugged.
"Because it's not an official 'academic' title. Oh, no. It's just my JOB. Here on this ship we have zoologists, botanists, archaeologists, engineers, even some of the nerdy number guys working the computer. All Doctor This and Doctor That with capital 'D', but me?" she waved the namebadge. "I'm just a doctor. By job. After the name!" She threw the namebadge away like a frisbee. "I don't mean to sound resentful- Well maybe I do. Actually YES, I do. It's not as if I haven't studied for X number of years."
"Well," Elander now spoke like a patronising parent talking to a petulant child. "We could take it up with the Captain and get you a nice pretty badge with the right title."
Helena laughed, appreciating the jokey change of tone that brought her back down from her petty rant. "I'm sorry. I deserved that. You don't have to be crazy to work here but..." She raised her eyebrows at her own pause. "Or perhaps I should say OVERwork. It's been a tough couple of days preparing for landing and whatever eventualities that might bring."
Elander offered some words of wisdom, "The harder the work the greater the reward."
"Yeah, I got that fortune cookie once." They both shared a laugh then Helena confessed, "You know, despite my rant I do have an official title here."
"You do. I know." And they both recited it. "Chief Medical Officer."
"Officer!" She scoffed. "Makes me sound like one of those military grunts. Which I don't appreciate. Anyway, what can I do for you?"
"Nothing dramatic, I'm afraid," the old woman admitted. "I was just checking up on your patient."
"The botanist?" the other woman nodded. "Come have a look."
They both walked over to the bed where the previously indisposed botanist was still laying on a bed in an unresponsive fugue.
"Done all the necessary tests and scans. It's definitely too much of that Idrian Ale."
Elander sighed sharpy and heavily. "I told them not to serve that. I told them. They choose it because of the taste and the significance, they think it's symbolic just because it was brewed from an alien yeast but it's a mild neurotoxin, a paralytic in high concentration."
"I guess he really liked the funny juice."
"You see, this," Elander jabbed an angry pointed finger at the horizontal botanist, "is why we need the quarantine protocols. Some of the people in charge here just don't understand the importance of this. They just think I'm a silly old woman shouting at the wind."
"You're preaching to the converted here," Helena agreed.
The woman smoothed her white hair with her palm, feeling composed by the doctor's words. "So, will he be OK?"
"Sure. We've got him on all the right fluids and we're giving him anti-xenoids. But it's a slow process, he still had a pretty high concentration of the substance, and you can't be too careful with xenoids, you don't want to give him full neuro-shock. So, long story short, the stuff won't be fully out of his system until .... maybe a month? But he should be up and about then with no lasting damage. Only sad thing for him is that he'll be missing all the fun on the planet."

Listening outside the treatment room, Professor Relin's face smiled. A month would be more than enough time. The smile turned into a satisfied smirk. He thought that was a good decision he'd made with the botanist. Merely drowsing him with the Charm and then injecting him with such a high proof of Idrian Ale. The injection mark on his finger looked just like the the scars that the botanist had from the thorns of his plants. Not even a Chief Medical Officer could tell the difference.

The sound of an alarm widened the Professor's eyes. A calm voice, metallically aloof, distant yet everywhere, informed the crew. "Prepare for orbital entry. Prepare for engine burn. Brace. In 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..."
Professor Relin placed his hand on the wall to steady himself as the ship shuddered to the engine's controlled thrust. The massive g-forces were dampened through inertial shunts into just mere vibrations felt throughout the ship's internal structure, but those vibrations were still significant. As he struggled to maintain his balance and posture Relin noticed the subtle glow in his hand. He glanced up and down the corridor with a furtive urgency. There was no-one to see him but he needed this to end soon.
"Main engine shut-off. In 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..."
The vibrations had stopped. Professor Relin had left the corridor. And the explorer ship Omicron was successfully in low, stable orbit.
It was time.

01 May 2018 07:39 #20988 by Charlotte
Oh man, Ganda will be so annoyed that the Idrian ale was to blame after she denounced it publicly... :P

01 May 2018 18:43 #21016 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Story Game v2.0
Feel free to ignore this if it doesn't fit with what you were planning.

Huwo panted heavily through tight lips. The pain in his chest second only to that caused by the large gash in his thigh. He raised his small frame into a less uncomfortable seated position against a large tree root and looked upward along the massive trunk to where he had been just moments earlier. Leaping across the dense treetops and then... A branch just a little too far away. His weight just a little too heavy.

Small pockets of sunlight glinted through the thick canopy of the forest. It was much darker down at ground level but he could make out some of the branches he had struck on his long fall. Had he any concpect of such things Huwo would have considered himself extremely lucky to fall such a distance and survive.

He could feel blood run slowly along his thigh and he touched his left hand to the wound on his leg. Huwo gasped, clenching his eyes closed as he recoiled from the pain. He opened them again to the gloom of the forest floor. The ground was not a natural place for his kind, and he had never ventured down here before.

The tiny ape-like creature struggled to his feet and grasped the bark of the trunk to begin the climb back up, but the sharp stabbing sensation in his chest stopped him from continuing, and his breathing went from a soft wheeze to a rasp. Becoming increasingly anxious Huwo started walking, limping, in a direction he perceived as the right one. The direction that would take him home, to safety.

After some minutes Huwo entered a large clearing. Had his thoughts been less muddled and his eyes been more attuned to the dim lighting of the forest floor, Huwo might have noticed the change in the landscape sooner. Perhaps he would have noticed the eerie silence amid a thriving forest. The clearing was almost perfectly circular in shape and the foliage became more brown and rotten as it approached the center. The ground became dry and cracked, devoid of moisture. The base of the trees were dry and flaking.

Huwo stopped, eyes wide. Ahead of him on the ground in the center of the dead place was a small silvery ball. He looked around puzzled and approached the sphere slowly. He saw his face reflected in the surface and stepped back. He made a throaty grunting sound followed by a rasping wheeze as he caught his breath. Then he moved closer again, this time reaching out with his right hand.

A finger stretched out tapping the sphere, and Huwo scuttled back away from the strange object, squeaking slightly from the sharp pain that his swift movement had caused. Another throaty grunt to provoke a response. The silver ball remained still. Huwo stepped closer again. He removed his other hand from the gaping hole in his leg and reached forward. This time, as his bloodied hand came in contact with the ball a prickling sensation rippled through his palm.

Again Huwo skipped backward, stumbling from the shock. A bloody print of the little creature's palm and three digits remained for a moment on the surface. He watched as the bloodstain shimmered and dissolved. Then the surface begain the shimmer. What had originally seemed a solid ball begain to change and swirl like a cloud of dust creating a small pulsating whirlwind.

Huwo barked at the cloud, drawing back his lips in a grimace. He raised himself up in an attempt to make his tiny figure more imposing and threatening. The cloud spun, increasing in size, then rocketted forward at the ape. His small body was suddenly engulfed in the silvery dust and the eerie silence was broken by an agonising scream. In a panic he frantically flailed his arms to beat away the dust that was devouring him.

In a matter of seconds Huwo's body had been reduced to a fine mist of blood that settled on the clearing floor. The dust cloud became less frenetic becoming again a small whirlwind which spun slowly back to the center of the clearing. Another second later the dust reformed into a sphere resting in it's original position.

Everything became still.

All was silent.

01 May 2018 19:37 #21017 by Charlotte
Nooooo! Huwo!!! :cry:

There will be no disregarding. I don't have any plans whatsoever (except I had actually considered something similar to Huwo, to get a planetary perspective of events, so to speak) and if Val plans for something completely different there's no saying this planet can't harbour more than one secret (or terror).

Glad you joined in :)

02 May 2018 12:38 #21032 by Banj
The clearing remained silent and still for more than an hour and then there was a momentary flicker across the surface of the silver orb. It was motionless again for another few minutes before it again rippled. This time the smooth surface once more disolved into a fine particle cloud which pulsed slowly before reforming it's smooth solid shape. Then it was still once more.

Another hour passed and the sphere burst into motion again. The cloud dispersed further this time spinning and circling more energetically. Several times it alternated between cloud and sphere until finally the cloud swirled about itself forming a new shape.

The dust swarmed to form a shadow of bones, muscle and sinew, the appearence of flesh. As vocal cords formed themselves from the glittering particles a shrill scream filled the air. A scream like that which Huwo had made as he died. The last particles of the cloud settled themselves into place, and where once had stood a small silverish sphere, there now stood a tiny ape-like creature.

Hawa bathed comfortably in the warm sunlight. She had found this patch of light beneath a gap in the canopy on a wide branch some meters away from the rest of the group and had settled herself into place. Her body lay along the branch, limbs hanging down either side. She raised her foot and used it to scratch lazily at her dangling forearm.

The soothing warmth of the sun on her back had made her drowsey, her eyelids getting heavier in the tranquility of her resting place. Before she could fully fall asleep she was started awake by something moving just out of view in the distance. She rubbed her sleepy eyes to clear her vision. On a tree opposite just beyond the end of her branch was a shadowy shape emerging from behind the main trunk.

Hawa sat upright and made a loud hooting sound to warn the group. Predators didn't venture this high up very often but those that were desperate enough to do so were usual extremely dangerous. She raised herself to her feet about to run back to the group but paused when she studied the figure more closely. Now it had stepped forward into the dappled light and was clearly visible she recognised the shape as that of Huwo. He was a young male from the group, a similar age to Hawa and a potential mate, although he was a little small compared to the other males around.

She made a softer hooting sound at Huwo in greeting. Then she noticed the large open gash on his leg and became concerned that he was seriously hurt. She scampered across the branch to meet him as he made his way closer, the she stopped. She sniffed at the air and took a cautious step back. Huwo's scent was wrong. Again she hooted at him followed by a soft grunt. He made no sound in return. Hawa glanced back at the distant group of apes, then back to Huwo. She grimaced, baring her large teeth and hissed at him. He opened his mouth and screamed the long terrifying scream of agony he had made when he died and she fled.

Panic spread through the group as the scream echoed through the treetops. Hawa was already running across the branch to the others and did not see Huwo disintegrate into a shimmering cloud. She was unable to do anything to escape the swarm that encompassed her and her shreak was cut off as she became nothing more than a fine mist of red coating her warm sunny branch.

The rest of the group tried in vain to flee the swarm. Mothers grasped their young to them. One larger male swung a broken piece of branch at the cloud in desperation. His mate was covered briefly in his blood before she too was decimated by the swarm. Some fell to their deaths as they were trampled by others. One older female just stood frozen and stared wide eyed at the carnage until she also succumbed to the cloud.

As quickly as the slaughter began, it ended. The screams no more. Trees stained with blood. The swarming dust cloud had now reformed itself once more into a sphere resting on the stained branch, pulsing softly. By late afternoon copies of Hawa and the rest of the group sat silently beneath the canopy unmoving. Waiting.

02 May 2018 14:50 #21035 by Charlotte
:blink:

02 May 2018 14:51 #21036 by Banj
:eek:

02 May 2018 15:10 #21038 by Charlotte
I'm not sure I want all those shuttles to land, now... :unsure:
That metal sphere thing seems capable of decimating life on any planet within weeks...

02 May 2018 15:16 #21039 by Banj
They'll be fine. Everything'll be fine... just... fine :unsure: