April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Feb 24 - The Dragon - WIPs

23 Feb 2024 18:26 #49293 by Charlotte

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2024 16:43 #49295 by Valence
*keeps fiddling with wing positions*

It's hard to do a flying pose that doesn't look weirdly static. :hmm:

26 Feb 2024 17:18 #49326 by Banj

*keeps fiddling with wing positions*

It's hard to do a flying pose that doesn't look weirdly static. :hmm:

You could key frame two different positions and render one frame with motion blur 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

26 Feb 2024 18:14 #49328 by Valence
Sadly the actual rendering is still causing crashing problems. The ground displacement modifier makes the whole scene over six million polygons and my PC doesn't seem to like that. So I will be sticking with just a screengrab of the viewport which still manages to work after the displacement, albeit very slowly. :)
I think I may be able to fake a bit of motion blur with some selective chromatic aberration from the dispersion post-processing thing but getting the actual pose right will also help. The correct twisting of the neck seems to be the key part of the anatomy.

*fiddles with the bones a bit more*

27 Feb 2024 11:45 #49332 by Charlotte
Some feedback on your final, Val:

It took me a while to realise the blurry dark shape next to the horse in the background was smoke from a small fire - even if I saw the fire. The shape is a wee bit horselike (maybe in the way you see shapes in clouds, but still enough to confuse my brain) so I was wondering why there was a blurry horse there when the other horseys weren't blurry. And I'm thinking since the dragon is moving in the direction he's firing, maybe the small fire and smoke would look better replaced with a small line of fire where the initial blast hit - as if that bit has mostly burnt out already (am I making sense? :hmm: I dunno, but anyway, that was a thought I had). Easiest fix might just be to change the smoke shape slightly in a painting program...

(I tried to find a pic with an example of what I'm thinking but I can't, sorry...)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

27 Feb 2024 12:34 #49333 by Valence
Thank you. :thumbup:
I'm always a bit reluctant to paint over these too much cos my messy painting style is so different from the sharp edges and soft gradients of 3D work and it usually sticks out like an obvious thing. :lol:
But that should be fixable in the time.

Interestingly (or not :dry:) the little fire is just a flat plane. I had intended to have another fire simulation in the background but due to my creaking, complaining PC it refused to run past frame 10. (Even though nothing else is moving the simulations are animated and the the fire breath in the image is about frame 23) So I had to animate the little fire separately in a different file and rendered one frame to a transparent PNG and imported that and added a little point light at the base for the glow. :)
So I should be able to just change the frame to get a different smoke shape. :aha:

27 Feb 2024 13:01 #49334 by Charlotte

28 Feb 2024 00:36 #49336 by Valence

28 Feb 2024 05:53 #49337 by Charlotte