March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN May 2017 - The First Vampire - WIPs

08 May 2017 22:18 #16182 by Valence
I hadn't given much thought to this while I was messing with other stuff so today I just thought I'd start with a creepy vampire face and see what happens, maybe I could add some reflection in the eye... or something.
Anyway, two hours later I put the pen down and had a look at what I'd done only to discover that I'd drawn a generic zombie instead of a vampire...

Yep, that's definitely a zombie. Idiot! :facepalm:
Don't know what I was thinking, so I'll scrap that and try again later. :blush:

Well, at least Atto's doing better. And I'm liking all those ideas so far. :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 May 2017 23:24 #16187 by Atto
I really quite like that Val, I see what you mean about a zombie but I think thats more to do with the dead appearance to the skin than anything to worry about. The only issue I see so far is that the tongue appears to be square on to the camera but the rest of the face is angled to our left.
I'm actually quite taken by the small nose and big scary eyes. I say keep going on it and see what happens.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

09 May 2017 06:58 #16189 by Charlotte
The strigoi/vampires in The Strain are (for the most part) quite zombie-like :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 May 2017 13:14 #16190 by Valence
I think The Master was wonderfully scary in that ... until that episode where he pulled his hood back and revealed that he looked just like an older version of all the other strigoi. Why bother hiding his face for so long? :huh:

That kind of design must have been in the back of my mind while I was scribbling away. I'd still prefer the pic to have been more obviously vampire-ish. :)

10 May 2017 01:13 #16196 by Atto
My third and (it's going to have to be) final attempt to pin something down for this one. Now I just need to decide which one to run with as once again I'm going to be travelling a lot toward the end of the month.

Think I'm going to go with this one but it is the most ambitious of the three. :S

Attachments:

10 May 2017 20:54 #16203 by Valence
Yikes, that is ambitious Atto. So many figures! :)
Will be interesting when you get some colour down. I always find it difficult to visualise how pictures will develop just from the lines. Maybe that's why I don't bother with linework. :P

Speaking of which, I ditched the zombie and had another scribble today. At least this one looks like a vampire monster but I'm still not sure about it yet.

Attachments:

10 May 2017 21:33 #16206 by Atto
Ask and ye shall receive Val.
First colour pass. With a more complex image I'm trying to work the whole canvas up at the same time to make sure it all 'hangs' together properly. Not sure it's there yet but the reflected light will help I think.

A suitably scary vampire Val. I do like the way the womans arm sweeps up and round the one side to frame the figures and I've always had a soft spot for those tendons in the neck that are exposed with this kind of pose.

Attachments:

10 May 2017 21:51 #16207 by Valence
Looking good, Atto.
Pictures always have so much more drama to them when you get the first colour and values in, and I'm liking the mood already.

I quite liked the girl's arm in my scribble too, even though I lost it towards the end of the session (I think I'll have to reframe the composition if I bring it back.) In fact while I was doing it, it reminded me of something and eventually I recalled that Edvard Munch "Madonna" painting that was stolen. I did a version of it years ago and it brought back a bit of deja vu. Again. :)
Her face is still way off though. The ear's in the wrong place and I need to clean up the proportions a bit before I decide to ditch this one too. :P

13 May 2017 23:04 #16249 by Atto
A little more.
Really struggling to work at this scale, everything seems clumsy and ill defined.

Attachments:

16 May 2017 00:10 #16256 by Atto
Managing to find the time to move this one on reasonably well. Still an absolute load to do though.

Attachments: