April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Jan 2017 - Star Wars Heroine WIPs

12 Jan 2017 08:26 #15099 by Charlotte
Valence, of course you can!

This one's cool - it looks like a death star... :P

Think of it as painting the iris of an eye ;)

And nice progress from everyone else :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jan 2017 17:49 #15110 by Valence
Atto: I like the strong diagonal in this version. It's like an axis around which the body can turn and launch an attack and it gives the pose a lot of potential for action.

A bit more of mine...

Spent most of the time sorting out the girl (the challenge is about her after all) and I'm happier with the proportions and face. I just need to get the other faces to the same "quality". And get the clothing done properly.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

20 Jan 2017 17:47 #15147 by Kodabble
Some great starts:
SchizophreniaWolf: The scythe looks wicked but I like the idea of the fans. What if the individual fan blades cold shoot out of the handle as when triggered and then were directed at their opponent using the force.
Valence: Great background story and your work is great as always. Like the idea of a movie poster. Your latest update of the older girl looks better to me. I was never a fan of Episode I with a little kid, should have been a teenager.
Alto: I like your latest direction. Nice pose, with a lightstaff or lance. I assume she will be holding a handle and not the glowing blade, either that or she has some really special hands/gloves that wouldn’t be sliced by holding the beam.
Anyway I don’t know if I went the right direction since I was also looking at the CGAN 2017 Caricatootles and decided to use a Leia looking character. So for what it’s worth here are a couple of WIPs.
Initial sketch.

First shading
Attachments:

21 Jan 2017 01:14 #15150 by Valence
Great start there, Kodabble.
I love the way that you always sneak in with a late sketch while slow, sad people like me are struggling through the full month. :lol:
I can certainly see the Leia style to your character both in appearance and attitude. Hope you can finish quicker than me, you usually do! :)

Progress has been slow with mine. But at least the girl is done. Not sure how much more of it will get finished to the level I want. The boy's face has been painful, hopefully it'll get better next week. :unsure: And yes, I didn't much care for kids in Star Wars films either. Thankfully this character's going to be killed off at the end of this film. Spoilers! :lol:

Attachments:

23 Jan 2017 07:08 - 23 Jan 2017 07:29 #15154 by microscopi
Hey guys, it's been two long. Haven't been able to work a lot on art for awhile (a long while) but star wars demands attention, so willing to go through pain four this. :huh: :( This ones pretty rough :X

Attachments:

24 Jan 2017 06:00 - 24 Jan 2017 06:03 #15156 by microscopi

just playing with designs...
Attachments:

24 Jan 2017 09:23 #15157 by Charlotte
I'm getting Darth Vader vibes now :)
Dun Dun Dun Dundudun Dundudun...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

25 Jan 2017 13:55 #15158 by Valence
Always nice to see one of Micro's pics in the challenge. :)

Even at this early stage the composition has a recognisable Star Wars feel to it with the portentous figure looking out into space.
Keep working through it, micro. :)

25 Jan 2017 20:23 #15159 by microscopi
Hey guys, thanks for commenting on such rough stuff! I've been in a rough situation for over a year with all the stuff going on with me, but I can still work on it a little, mostly just 10 min at a time or so but I think this one looks like it's worth detailing (i know roughness again :blink: ,..so the backstory is during Vador's rule, he had a secret droid (wife/companion) who was secretly pulling the strings... I left some notes as to what I should and shouldn't detail/or change ?

Attachments:

25 Jan 2017 23:37 #15160 by Atto

I assume she will be holding a handle and not the glowing blade, either that or she has some really special hands/gloves that wouldn’t be sliced by holding the beam.

Yeah Kod she'll be holding it by a handle, though that has made me rethink the length of the blade - seems a little too long right now.
Yours has definitely got that Leia feel, and thats a very cool action pose you have. Looking forward to see the colours.

Micro - Awesome rough environment again, love the one that appears to have the large red throne to the right hand side - think I saw an image somewhere of a throne made up of lightsabres in the vein of Game of Thrones, but that may have been a dream :?

Val - the duality of the two cityscapes in the background is a nice touch and you have some really nice characters there. The crystal thingy behind them is really well done too - interesting to see how the figure turns out at its centre that appeared in your earlier sketches.
Update to mine later this evening/early tomorrow morning I hope.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.