April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN August 2015 Challenge - Ganymede - WIPs

01 Aug 2015 12:55 #11920 by Charlotte
Ganymede
Brief: Banj says this is an open topic with possibilities ranging from historical to futuristic/sci-fi. So read up a bit and then run away with your imagination. Just don't forget to come back now and then to post your images :)

Deadline: Monday 31st of August, by midnight GMT. After which voting will begin.

This is where you posts your Works in Progress, questions, chatter and random stuff.
Your Finals should be posted over here .

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
All challenge entries must be your own work.
You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
Each member may cast one vote
No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Aug 2015 17:54 #11929 by CherryGraphics
So... I just found something called "Ganymed" which is an ice moon - is this meant in the title? :lol:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

01 Aug 2015 18:19 #11930 by Valence
Being an astronomy nerd I know that Ganymede is one of the major moons of Jupiter, you can see it easily through a small telescope or decent binoculars. It's named after some fellow from Greek Mythology but I know much less about that so will have to research.
This is like doing homework at school!

01 Aug 2015 18:48 #11931 by CherryGraphics
Found Ganymed as a mythological person including Zeus. This sounds really cool - I love Mythology!

It's like the next Virgo-Challenge. There's such a great story with the daughter of Demeter who becomes Persephone - the queen of the underworld, wife of Hades. Totally amazing *-*

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

01 Aug 2015 19:05 - 01 Aug 2015 19:10 #11932 by Valence
Forgive us for our English spelling. We put an extra "e" at the end of it. :)

Edit: But staying with the German version, I've just found that there's a poem by Goethe that covers the mythology.

03 Aug 2015 15:17 - 03 Aug 2015 15:32 #11944 by microscopi
Great idea, had to look this one up, l like the part where the bird takes him from the mountain.

I want to try to get the moon in there too but have it look like it's faded into the background more so it doesn't take a lot of attention away from the main focal point of the bird, although looking at it now it looks sort of huge.

Trying to get the mood down first then the details later, my drawing skills with no reference need tons of work obviously, I still might switch this one up not sure it's going for what I want yet.

Attachments:

03 Aug 2015 16:10 #11947 by CherryGraphics

I still might switch this one up not sure it's going for what I want yet.

Well this wouldn't be the first time micro :D But your idea looks nice so far. The moon looks as if it would fall into the world ... maybe it's just because of the cut part or because of the shading around it which creates a mood of movement.

I still have to think about it, but I think I'll pick out a scene with the eagle. ^^

Facebook / Behance

06 Aug 2015 18:38 - 06 Aug 2015 18:41 #11984 by Valence
Nice start micro but I just know that's gonna change :lol:

And I know how you feel, I'm in a changable mood myself. I had a bit of a scribble for an hour yesterday but I'm not liking the results....

... I tried out something with the figure, the bird and then at the back Zeus in the clouds as if overlooking and controlling the bird but the composition looks dreadfully flat. This kind of thing really needs a more dynamic viewpoint. Hmmm...
Actually I'm still not sure about this idea, part of me wants to do a space/moon type of image but I can't think of an idea to go with it. Just doing a portrait of a moon seems very silly indeed. :silly: Hmmm (again!)
Attachments:

06 Aug 2015 22:51 #11986 by microscopi
Thank Val, I know this theme's a tough one, you really want to get the moon in there because of how cool it looks, but at the same time the story is also cool, hmmm, maybe a movie poster idea again :lol:

Btw your start is looking better then mine definitely, that early paint blob style is interesting, the eagle looks great so far

10 Aug 2015 19:33 #12005 by Valence
Had another go at this today. Same idea but different viewpoint. I wanted the god figure to really tower up into the sky to give a better sense of scale and depth, so I expanded and changed the format of the canvas. I kept the eagle (cos it kinda works) but erased everything else and then had another scribble on my sketch layer (that I haven't flattened yet) and slapped some colour underneath. I think this viewpoint looks a bit more interesting but the colour and lighting look a bit bland. And I think the eagle could do with enlarging a little bit.

Attachments: