April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Nov. 2014 Challenge: Zombie Proof House, WIPs

01 Nov 2014 09:42 - 01 Nov 2014 09:47 #6905 by Charlotte
Title: Zombie Proof House
Brief: I hope nobody minds that I continue the halloween and zombie theme. You see, Kazky really needs a zombie-proof house, so I thought we could design one for her. It's up to you whether it's for a small or large number of survivors, and whether it's a landscape shot, architectural type drawing, floor plan or cutaway view - or a combination of several views. There should at least be something to make the viewer understand just why the house is safe, though.

Deadline: Sunday November 30th, by midnight GMT.
This is where you posts your wips (works in progress). You final entry should be posted over here:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...e-proof-house-finals

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one set of votes, for their 3 favourites.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Nov 2014 12:05 #6909 by kazky
Oohhhh love it!

01 Nov 2014 18:05 #6912 by Katie
ooh, feels very walking dead. :cheer:

02 Nov 2014 22:18 - 02 Nov 2014 22:18 #6923 by Digital Dave
Hopefully that will be 'knocking dead' if the structure is built correctly! :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

09 Nov 2014 16:17 #7039 by Valence
Hmm, anyone else having a go at this yet?
I must confess I'm struggling a bit with it having ditched at least nine sketches so far. I'm not sure I even have a comfort zone in art but if I did then architectural concept art is way out of it. All my attempts at buildings seem to look like something out of Minecraft (and I mean rubbish-looking Minecraft not the nice shader mod.)
But I'll keep trying at it.

09 Nov 2014 23:00 #7041 by kazky

09 Nov 2014 23:50 #7042 by Valence
When looking for reference/info this was the thing that caught my eye.

10 Nov 2014 09:14 #7045 by Charlotte
oh with such a house one can STOMP the zombies! :)

I do hope we'll get some participation. I thought it would be fun but I'm not sure I'll have time for any scribbles, myself... Anyway, like I said in the "brief", it's up to you how to present your house. If "architectural concepts" feel difficult, maybe there is another angle (as in technique, style etc, not angle of the building although I guess that might be true as well!) that will feel more comfortable.

oooh drat I forgot to tally the votes on last month's yesterday! Will try to remember when I get home today!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Nov 2014 10:21 #7046 by kazky
I'm literally always planning my zombie proof house (I know, I have a problem! :) ) And I always start with a removable stair case (anyone read the zombie survival guide?) and a huge storage area for food & supplies.

10 Nov 2014 12:56 #7047 by Banj
I doesn't matter what you do they will get you eventually. Based on every film I have seen, and every book I have read I know that one of the following will always happen.

1. Despite being in a perfectly secure and contained environment where everyone should be completely safe, one member of the group will suddenly panic for no explicable reason and run out of the secure environment leaving the door open. This will result in their death and the death of everyone inside the previously secure environment which is no longer secure.
  2. One member of the group will go mental and either sympathise with the Zombie hordes, or will become obsessed with finding a cure for them inevitably bringing them inside the safe environment and allowing them to escape and infect everyone who wasn't previously infected.
  3. One member of the group will be a psychotic lunatic that will kill off everyone before the Zombies can do it.
  4. If not in a group, you will slowly slack off on your security over time, or suddenly become incompetent and allow your previously secure environment to become not so secure.
  5. If not in a group, you will gradually become depressed from the long period of being the last survivor and allow the first stranger you encounter to come and live with you out of a need for companionship. The stranger will them do one of the previously listed things and get you killed.

You are doomed. :(