April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Nov. 2014 Challenge: Zombie Proof House, WIPs

10 Nov 2014 13:46 #7048 by kazky
Sheeeeiiitttteeeee! run! its banj who is the killer! :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Nov 2014 18:14 #7051 by Charlotte
Kazky won't get lonely. She's got her parrots. :) She's the only one with a decent chance of long term survival!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Nov 2014 18:42 #7055 by kazky
Lol! This is true

11 Nov 2014 19:26 - 11 Nov 2014 19:28 #7064 by Valence
Oh well, I'll post a WIP, just to show how bad it's going and to see if it will kickstart some more.
I am really not confident about this at this stage, not only about how it'll finish but also about if it will even progress at all. I made an effort to study some Craig Mullins-style apocalyptic cityscape concept stuff to try and learn some things and so that's the atmosphere I'm attempting, a ruined street with the zombie-proof house still standing and prevailing. But really... :blush: I just can't paint in that really textured, hard-edged and precise way that the subject and style demands. It's infuriating. :angry: I've even had to resort back to Photoshop and grey-scale work, which is somewhat of a step back after some recent progress. (And it still looks like Minecraft!)

Anyway the design: In my view the best and easiest way to zombie-proof is not to go in for high-tech barriers and sci-fi shenanigans but instead just remove the ground floor, especially the ground floor entrance. As long as the zombies obey the laws of physics and don't acquire the intelligence to construct and /or use ladders everyone's a winner! So the building is raised and the only access is via a drop down ramp which you gleefully drive up after your supply runs. The first real floor of the building can be a garage/workshop area, perhaps where you can also keep your weapons, then the higher floors are the main living areas, bedrooms, kitchen, parrot room etc. There are a couple of balcony areas for recreational sniper action. A couple of elevators on the corners to take you to a basement storage area below ground and at the top you have some solar panels to offer a bit of electric juice and a flat roof for perhaps a small garden/greenhouse area to grow some plants and vegetables.
And for all those structural engineers out there... Yes, I know!!!

But never mind, the design isn't the main problem, the problem is my ability to draw it!

Attachments:

12 Nov 2014 09:57 #7070 by Charlotte
I like it - especially the parrot rooms and sniper recreation areas :) And you're the only one brave enough to post anything so far so don't put yourself down!

12 Nov 2014 10:53 #7072 by kazky
yep this sounds perfect, raise the house so there is no access for them. And I will of course be wanting to snipe the zomb's Dawn of the Dead style :D

12 Nov 2014 16:33 #7075 by Charlotte
Or Gimli & Legolas style. "342, 343, 345... 'ow many 'ave you got?"

I haven't read the zombie survival manual... Can they climb walls or swim or crawl across the sea floor? I've seen many "zombie proof" houses on islands, but I'm not sure I'd feel safe. Unless there were sharks in the water. But then perhaps you'd have zombie sharks too... :dry:

12 Nov 2014 19:34 #7082 by Valence
In the video game Half-Life 2 (my all time favourite) during the terrifying Ravenholm level there were some zombies called Leapers (I think?) that were super-fast and could jump/climb up the side of buildings. And they made a horrifying noise! Just awful! That remains one of the scariest things I've ever seen/played.
But of course this superhuman leaping would defy the laws of physics and as such I'm ignoring them for my house design. :P

12 Nov 2014 19:38 #7085 by Charlotte
I just knew someone somewhere would invent fast and/or climbing zombies. Hmm... I'm starting to think "air-ship". Or maybe one should just go with:

13 Nov 2014 17:34 #7103 by Kodabble
Of course you could always have it raised on a pole like Elmer Fudd did in the house of tomorrow when he pushed the red button "In case of tidal waves", changed to "In case of Zombies :ohmy: "

Hopefully, you have the blue button to get it down. :side:
Attachments: