April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

New section and/or challenge

17 Jul 2014 14:32 #3248 by Smolin
Replied by Smolin on topic New section and/or challenge
Great idea. I'm certainly interested in the ongoing drop-in monthly sketch jam.
But I think having a live sketch jam/chat would be fantastic too, however that would work...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jul 2014 14:34 - 17 Jul 2014 14:35 #3249 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic New section and/or challenge

I would hope that that sort of thing could happen in this community too. It looked great!

I think it's likely to happen, it's a matter of where to put it. Whether we need a new separate category for it or if it can simply go in the one we already have with the other challenges.

17 Jul 2014 14:38 #3250 by Banj

But I think having a live sketch jam/chat would be fantastic too, however that would work...

I was thinking about the possibility of hosting live webcasts and so on the other day, but that is something that would be some way off.

17 Jul 2014 14:46 #3252 by edtuckerartist
Would love a section/challenge that had no time limit and was more figurative based as then maybe I would be more inclined to actually do some art.
Just need to find a nude model to pose for me (preferably female ;) )

17 Jul 2014 14:57 - 17 Jul 2014 14:58 #3255 by Domtopia
Good luck with that one Ed!! :woohoo:

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

17 Jul 2014 15:03 #3259 by Charlotte
Regarding practice sessions/jams needing it's own section I think one solution could be to just have one sticky post that works like an index and add each successive session to it, so that people can find all of them without too much trouble.
("Sticky indexes" is my new thing :P)

And Ed, that shouldn't be too hard if you're just willing to pay her (enough!) :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

17 Jul 2014 20:11 #3308 by gixgidea
I like all of the suggestions that have been posted so far.
I liked the weekly challenges at ifx because it kept a variety, but biweekly is cool too. Honestly, I get bored with the same image over the course of a month.

The jam sessions and practice is definitely something that I would love to participate in as well. It's important for me that there is constructive criticism and feedback. My best image that I created at ifx forms was an old rebels challenge and I learned so much from Banj and the feedback of others.

This is just me speaking as a novice and hobbyist.

28 Jul 2014 21:09 #4455 by Kodabble
First I really like seeing the challenge winner on the home page, that was one thing that the IFX home page failed to do and I think it was one of their failings. By not letting people know there were challenges that they could enter, it relied on the individual to hunt around to find out there were challenges. Of course they did post the winners in the magazine so that was one way to inform new viewers
With that said, one issue I had with the IFX page that maybe this site could rectify would be to put a direct link button on the sites top line next to Home / Forum / Gallery / About / Profile. And while I’m making wishes maybe a challenge vote button or something so visitors would know it was time to vote. Many times voting was so few that it would be limited to one or two of the entrants possibly because members didn’t realize there was a challenge they could vote on.

28 Jul 2014 21:39 #4460 by Thomgirl

Would love a section/challenge that had no time limit and was more figurative based as then maybe I would be more inclined to actually do some art.
Just need to find a nude model to pose for me (preferably female ;) )

That's sort of already accomplished by the WIP section :-/ A challenge with no time limit wouldn't be much of a challenge and impossible for anyone to do anything more with other than just critique which I feel is already accomplished by having a WIP section. Good luck on the live model!

As far a challenge section goes... I have kind of a fun art creature/human generator game. Basically it's this list with associated dice with various options and the challenge is to come up with a creature/human based on all the given elements. Might be fun as a sketch challenge type deal just to get people working on ideas :) If folks seem interested, I can post the list so people can get a better understanding of what I'm talking about :)

29 Jul 2014 11:07 #4503 by Banj

something so visitors would know it was time to vote. Many times voting was so few that it would be limited to one or two of the entrants possibly because members didn’t realize there was a challenge they could vote on.

Things like that are already in mind, but it may be a while before they get implemented.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kodabble