April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

HP Sprout

23 Apr 2015 08:57 #10304 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic HP Sprout
I have to confess to not being a geek, sorry guys, I never watch star trek, doctor who or any of that stuff :(

I am a techy geek though

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Apr 2015 12:09 #10306 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic HP Sprout

I have to confess to not being a geek, sorry guys, I never watch star trek, doctor who or any of that stuff :(

I am a techy geek though

You are excused. Picard tugging on his waistband was about the most interesting thing that ever happened in the bland beige dullness of The Next Generation (as evidenced by the fact that Picard getting a cup of Tea is seen as a highlight of any episode), and I gave up with Doctor Who at the end of the last series. Then again my geek enthusiasm seems to be evaporating these days.

23 Apr 2015 12:39 #10307 by kazky
one day, something will come along and revive that geekness, and you will be reborrrrnnnnnnnn.

or not, probably that won't happen.

I am looking forward to the new Jurassic Park though, that's my level of geek. Is that a geeky thing? Also probably not :D

23 Apr 2015 13:09 - 23 Apr 2015 13:15 #10308 by edtuckerartist
Replied by edtuckerartist on topic HP Sprout
startrek.com/database A little info for the uninitiated among us :blink:

Devices derived from transporter technology to dematerialize matter and then reconstitute it in another form.Replicators, in use since the early 24th century, are most commonly used as food dispensers aboard Federation starships. The menu is only limited by the programming, as opposed to the days of carrying natural or reconstituted foodstuffs with delivery by special turbolifts or transporters.Generally replicated food and "natural" food taste the same, though some people claim to be able to detect a difference. For instance, Captain Picard kept real caviar stored for special occasions since he felt replicated caviar was inferior to the real thing.

23 Apr 2015 13:24 #10309 by kazky
Nope, you might as well have just told me about the reproduction cycle of plankton.

And I'm so happy in my un-initiation :D

23 Apr 2015 16:00 #10312 by edtuckerartist
Replied by edtuckerartist on topic HP Sprout
Needs a strong drink.

23 Apr 2015 18:48 - 23 Apr 2015 18:51 #10313 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic HP Sprout

Picard tugging on his waistband was about the most interesting thing that ever happened in the bland beige dullness of The Next Generation.

Heresy!

I'll have to get out my punishments again!
I hereby sentence you to be Wesley Crusher's friend as he goes through puberty. You will tolerate his excruciating naivety and smug cleverness while at the same time answering his curious questions about the adult world. Moreover I declare that you must act as chaperone as he goes on dates to find … Love; first with an odd shapeshifting alien female then later with a very young Ashley Judd in that awful episode about the brainwashing game. Also you must fulfil all these duties without once punching him in his chubby fat face.
A harsh sentence indeed but these heretics must be taught a lesson!

(Interestingly -or not- that brainwashing game thing now conjures up possible images of that mysterious MagicLeap device in much the same way as this HP Sprout makes all geeks think of replicators.)

Sadly I must endure whatever sentence Whovians give me because I never did "get" the good timelord. The olde ones seemed shambolic to me (although I concede that Tom Baker was the best) and the reboot has been tediously flippant to my eyes. And don't get me started on Tennant!

And the Jurassic World movie? It looks like a decent spectacular blockbuster and yet it's a million miles away from everything that made the original good (one of the most underrated movies of recent times despite Jeff Goldblum's flimsy grasp of chaos theory.) And like all those whingeing paleontologists I think it's a bit sad that they're ignoring all recent discoveries about pigmentation and the prevalence of feathers in favour of another scaly angry lizard on the loose with extra bashing of evil scientists and their meddling ways.

23 Apr 2015 19:46 #10314 by kazky
You totally have to shelve all thoughts and just watch for entertainment value Valence I agree, otherwise why would they have gone back to the island in the 2nd one, or built another dinosaur zoo in this one, we're not that stupid

Oh right, we are :D

23 Apr 2015 20:07 - 23 Apr 2015 20:08 #10315 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic HP Sprout
I'll be content if they keep that epic score by John Williams (better than his Star Wars tunes in my opinion.)
And none of the of the silliness of the second movie (remember that horrible gymnastics scene with the girl?) The three quid I wasted on that film still hurts, although it was nice to see the Stegosaurus that was previously lacking.

The third film was better (mainly due to getting Sam Neill back) so if that kind of progression continues it'll be all right.

24 Apr 2015 08:35 #10324 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic HP Sprout
Banj, :blink: I think you may be growing old up... :ohmy:

Kazky, I've no idea what they're all talking about either, though understanding the reproductive cycle of plankton sounds like rather a geeky thing to me.... Also I didn't even know they were doing a 4th Jurassic Park. I think I'd like them better if one could just see all the dinos and do away with the horror movie bits, though :P

Ed, Valence - "Replicators" make me think of sentient and multiplying/self-repairing lego pieces from outer space... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.