April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

3D Nebulae

10 Apr 2016 15:58 #13669 by pvjeko
3D Nebulae was created by pvjeko
Hello everyone.

I am doing some experimenting with recreating believable Hubble-like nebula clouds inside 3ds Max and was wondering if anyone can give rough or, preferrably, detailed guidance on how to pull it off.

I searched for months everywhere(!), looking at all available tutorials all over the net and probably best work I've found on internet regarding high quality nebula renders is in this video:

P.S. I am familiar with FumeFX and Krakatoa, but my results, although not that bad, are nowhere near renders presented in video above.

Thanks for your attention. Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Apr 2016 20:15 #13671 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic 3D Nebulae
Hi there, pvjeko! :waves:

I love a good nebula too although I only try them in 2d (following the techniques of Tim Barton, who I've often mentioned in other threads.)

I've never had the processing power to use those 3d particle systems but I have seen other tutorials where people project 2d textures of nebulas on to separate planes and objects to create 3d animations.This can be done in 3d programs like Blender or 3DS Max but also in software like After Effects or HitFilm.
It's not quite as versatile as the particle-based effect but it seems to be easier to do and doesn't take as much graphics processing.

11 Apr 2016 12:50 #13676 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic 3D Nebulae
The nebulae in that video are created in Houdini. One of the people responsible gives some info on it here: www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_foru...9bad28bdd949b0d4d295 part way down the page. I would guess a similar process could be achieved in Max (not really familiar enough with it myself).

You could also look at volumetric lights with procedural textures applied. Or maybe just use something like this: alexcpeterson.com/spacescape/ Probably the best approach is a combination of methods.

This is a quick 5 minute bodge using volumetric lights with procedural textures rendered straight out of Modo...

Attachments: