April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Perspective issues...

17 Aug 2014 12:47 #5286 by Charlotte
I'm trying to align a pattern floor texture with a perspective grid (my Aries image). I've never managed to use perspective in my images and get it to look right, so there seems to be something I've misunderstood completely but I've no idea what (obviously).

In my Aries image I have made perspective guidelines earlier but since I couldn't get anything to properly match up anyway I decided to do it more carefully. So I made a smaller version of my image (to be able to work faster in ArtRage which didn't speed up in the slightest after the latest upgrade but did start to act odd when using the transfgorm tool - yay :angry: ) and added a lot of extra background so that I could place the vanishing points outside the image. First I made a grid based on the current layout to see what was the most off as well as where approximately the vanishing points were. Then with the horizon line and vanishing points decided, I made a new grid...

Then I took my previously made floor texture, which is a rectangle (images usually are...) and figured that if all edges follow the grid lines than the pattern inside should also follow the perspective. But they don't. And that's what I don't get. If my horisontal edges follow one set of lines and the vertical edges follows the other set, and the corners are placed where lines cross, shouldn't any lines inside the texture also line up with the grid? I've tried like a million times (and ArtRage is laggy as usual, plus now it adds some sort of wierd rectangles all over the surface when you mouseover the image, kind of like you've erased stuff but it hasn't actually changed anything it just displays like that so you can't bloody see what you're doing...) but I can't get it to look right.

Sorry I can't include an image. I got fed up and closed the program. I'm hoping ArtRage will behave better once the machine is restarted (upgraded today) and if not I really hope I can go back to the previous version somehow...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Aug 2014 12:53 #5287 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Perspective issues...
Decided to make a quick image after all, using the grid and texture but excluding everything else. Green lines folllow the lines of the texture and shows how much they deviate from the grid line... (And the texture only has horizontal and vertical lines, no angled ones.)

Attachments:

17 Aug 2014 15:23 #5294 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Perspective issues...
Sorry, no help on this from me. Haven't done much with perspective lines myself. Usually just eye it the best I can, and I'm pretty sure it's off most times too. But will watch if someone else can shed light on this.

I do know that Manga Studio 5 is supposed to have some very nice perspective rulers, but I haven't worked with them yet. Just remember watching some videos showing their use. Seemed quite easy the way they showed it, and wasn't limited as to how many points you wanted either.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

17 Aug 2014 18:48 #5299 by ClaudeCrow
Replied by ClaudeCrow on topic Perspective issues...
I'm not entirely sure how it didn't work to be honest. From what I know it should have done. Using Photoshop I just had a go myself and it seemed to all go ok.

I put down the horizon then set two vanishing points. After drawing out the blue lines I transformed the four corners of a simple 5x10 grid to match the cross points of the blue lines. Drawing out the green lines after that they all seemed to match up.

The only thing I can imagine is that your points aren't quite lined up with where they should be and the small discrepancies are getting amplified over the distance.

I'd perhaps try doing it again using a simple grid and check that. It might also be worth drawing out the lines from the texture to see where they come to on your horizon to see if it gives any insight to what plane the texture is aligned to.

Attachments:

17 Aug 2014 18:58 #5300 by Charlotte
Guess I'll try again. I AM a bit curious about where the texture lines go, because they do seem to converge, just not where they should. Or I'll draw the darn texture in place from scratch instead of flat and then transforming it...

17 Aug 2014 19:55 - 17 Aug 2014 20:04 #5301 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Perspective issues...
Strange, I see a noticeable increase in performance in 4.5 especially in the transform tool.

I'd make sure you are using the 64bit version not the 32 (the updater installs both). Also check you are using the perspective transform, not the distort transform (which will give you an out of whack transform against your grid like you are getting). And I would always make sure I'm transforming to the lines of my texture, not just aligning the corners.

EDIT - They have already release an update to the update as well.

18 Aug 2014 07:19 #5311 by Charlotte
Yeah I noticed I had the 32 bit and thought "hey wasn't the new one a 64 bit?" and then I saw I had another without any bits at all, so I'm guessing that's the one I should use and possibly wasn't the one I used.

Also I think I might have used the distortion one... Will check that too!

18 Aug 2014 18:36 #5322 by Charlotte
Well, I've figured out that I did use the distortion tool because for some reason I thought the perspective tool wouldn't move all four corners independantly, but it did and I could align the texture. I tried doing this in the small fast image to export it to the larger (it's a small up-sized texture anyway because I don't want it "clean looking"). But adding it to the other image it needed resizing and then I didn't get it to align after all. So I guess I need to do it the old laggy way.

Also figured out that I WAS using the new version of ArtRage, and that it's still very slow (perhaps better than before but I can't really tell very slow from extra slow) and that it seems to be the new version that contains the odd rectangles. This is what an image looks like when you import a layer and then move the pen/mouse around to move the corners of the imported layer (which you soon won't see due to the rectangles).

Attachments: