April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Just baked

03 Feb 2015 09:56 - 03 Feb 2015 10:02 #8701 by Gus
Just baked was created by Gus
So I´ve got a couple of finished ones, within what fits. I´ve made the black lion one after seeing Stjepan Sejic tutorial in youtube, trying to get his technique. I must say is the fastest one I´ve tried so far. The Rotten Monster one is purely my style and trying some brushes out, yet I could have fixed some anatomy issues easily but due time I had to move on. The last one is the latest I did for an school project, trying some Anthony Jones´s tutorials. I´m at that point right now.
If you know of any way to improve any piece or technique, I´d love to hear it!.
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this ^^

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Feb 2015 17:24 #8729 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Just baked
I think the black lion looks absolutely fantastic, even if it doesn't make me think of lions. More a werewolf - gorilla or baboon cross. Both light and facial expression is great though!

The lowermost piece has some lighting issues in my opinion. I guess the dark parts of the suit are supposed to be shiny and the green top layer matte, but you have light reflected on the inside of her arm where it would be shadowed - I would have placed the highlights on the edge of the green armour instead. (The shadows don't really match the direction of the light judging by the highlights either.) Overall I think you could push your values quite a bit, both light and dark :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

03 Feb 2015 17:52 #8731 by Gus
Replied by Gus on topic Just baked
You are absolutely right, I´ll check that out and try to fix it.
Thank you very much for the feedback =D

03 Feb 2015 19:38 #8739 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Just baked

... even if it doesn't make me think of lions. More a werewolf - gorilla or baboon cross.

That's what I was thinking!

The fur on it is awesome. Very impressed by that. The second piece is similar in your use of texture. Great stuff!

The last one has some weird anatomical issues. She has the body of a pre-teen and yet has breasts and hips. Weird!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

03 Feb 2015 20:49 #8745 by Gus

... even if it doesn't make me think of lions. More a werewolf - gorilla or baboon cross.

Yeah, I get what you are saying guys. I think I should have exagerated more the teeth while also pulling a bit up the smile or perhaps the whole muzzle to enhance the feeling. I think I failed there but I´ll definetly perform better next time ;D

The last one has some weird anatomical issues. She has the body of a pre-teen and yet has breasts and hips. Weird!

Thanks for the compliments Dom ^^. I see your point, when designed it was intended to be a slim race with four arms, I´ll paste a spoiler here so you can check. But I believe you are right, the hips are too big even for an alien sort of race and perhaps her head is big compared to the body. I´ll fix it soon!
Thank you again guys =)

Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:

03 Feb 2015 21:27 #8746 by Domtopia
Cool, how did you do that? The expansion thing is a great trick!

The concept looks good too. The lower arms are very Tyranid. Good idea!

03 Feb 2015 21:33 - 03 Feb 2015 21:34 #8747 by Gus
Thanks! Well the spoiler option is in the menu bar at the top of the comment box (like a little window icon) mmm but I think you can use
Warning: Spoiler!

03 Feb 2015 21:36 #8748 by Domtopia
Oh yeah! Cool. I will have to try that!

07 Feb 2015 01:43 #8803 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Just baked
That first piece is awesome! The hair looks so real. I do think the teeth could be more greyed out and reduced in value.
For the third piece I'd work on stronger lighting, unless the character is standing in a diffused lighting/overcast day. The values look rather flat and too similar. Don't forget occlusion shadows for any small crevices as well. Hope this helps!

07 Feb 2015 12:22 #8808 by Gus
Thanks Crank, yeah it helps =) I´m working on it!