April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Aug 23 - Garden of unearthly delights - Final entries

01 Aug 2023 10:59 - 09 Sep 2023 13:41 #46528 by Banj
Garden of Unearthly Delights

Brief:
Take the title and do with it what you will (hopefully paint something and post it in the challenge)

Deadline: Midnight on Thursday the 31st of August. 

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-delights-wips#46529

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - VALENCE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Aug 2023 21:40 #46852 by Valence
A bit early but I'm not sure I'll have any time to work or post this later. But if I do get the chance and make any changes then I'll do a switcheroo. :)

Weirdo WIPs  

Attachments:

01 Sep 2023 07:50 #46891 by Charlotte
Wonderful entries from both Val and Banj :)
VOTING is now open until Sept. 8th

Everyone is welcome to cast a vote and/or provide feedback. Newbees, Oldbees, Honeybees. You don't need to have participated. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Sep 2023 09:48 #46898 by Banj
Not the Bees 

I vote Valence. I love the blobby whatsits (obviously spent too much time playing Death Stranding), and those weird plants around the front. And for someone who constantly complains about an inability to get sharp looking images, it looks very sharp to me. Overall very alien and surreal landscape with great depth. 

01 Sep 2023 19:53 #46909 by Valence
Well Banj gets my vote and he deserves to win because...

1: The lovely low camera angle. Straight away you have an interesting, dynamic composition and, when combined with the strong foreground silhouettes, it creates a sense of anticipation, an understanding that something's going on or is about to happen. Which leads into...

2: The strong visual narrative. We clearly see a character in an alien place and wonder how and why he's there, asking ourselves if he's stranded, lost, exploring or hunting? We see from his pose that he's alert to his surroundings yet maybe anxious and uncertain with his gun pointing one way and his gaze focused in the other direction. And we also see what he doesn't as those creepy, maybe dangerous, insects watch from behind his back.

And 3: The execution and rendering. The lovely shine and details of the character contrast nicely with the softer organic textures elsewhere like the fluffy candy floss foliage at the bottom and those semi-translucent growths emerging from the trunk on the left, and each feature exists comfortably in its own space within the receding depths of the image.

It's a terrific image that could easily be a wraparound cover of a book/comic or a poster for a classic sci-fi show/movie. Vote Banj. :aha:

02 Sep 2023 17:07 #46920 by Charlotte
Val's feedback there is very convincing but my vote still goes to his weird and slightly scary garden. I can't decide whether those dark figures are plants or caretakers....

03 Sep 2023 14:07 #46934 by fabledgoat
Ooooohhhhh it’s a been a while. * stretches * . Great images by the both of your. :) I’m gonna vote for Valence as I love the Attack from Mars feeling that’s mixed with the garden and whisky aliens.  Both good images though, great work! 

03 Sep 2023 14:25 #46935 by Charlotte
Oh look who it is! Welcome back, you old goat! :)

03 Sep 2023 18:57 #46940 by Valence