Jan 2019 - Random 4 - Final entries

Poll: Jan 2019, Randomerer Vote

Valence
3 60%
Atto
2 40%
oaktree
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 5 ( Atto, Charlotte, Digital Dave, oaktree, Valence )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
02 Jan 2019 17:06 - 15 Feb 2019 17:06 #23263 by Banj
Random 4: Randomerer

VOTE IS OPEN - Closes on or after February 8th. Probably.

Brief: Use at least 3 of the random words listed here to inspire you into devising some visual spectacularity.
  • breakable
  • proposal
  • cursed
  • pigeon
  • ape
  • fire
  • spider

Deadline: Entries must be posted by the midnight on Friday the 1st of January.

This is where you post your final entry. WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...n-2019-random-4-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER: VALENCE

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Jan 2019 14:43 - 31 Jan 2019 14:45 #23623 by Valence
I'm not gonna get anything done today so...

1: First Things.

2. Silly Sleeve.

And here's the last one. I still don't know what the hell he's wearing. :lol: And I couldn't get the golden armband thing to work with the hair/fur so it went away. Also I cropped and squished it a little to make it look more cinematic and ended up creating the odd tangent here and there. I should really sort the composition out earlier but it's far too late for a do-over.

Hurry up, everyone! :)
Attachments:

31 Jan 2019 20:41 #23627 by Atto

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

31 Jan 2019 21:22 #23628 by oaktree
Only a few tweaks sense last update. I took part so I'll post it to make up the numbers.
Hurdy Gurdy man sketch
Great Ape god sketch
Initial Group idea
alternative position idea
Attachments:

02 Feb 2019 19:12 #23646 by Valence
Hmm, is it voting time?

Well first of all let me say that I absolutely love the ground plane in your pic, oaktree. The wooden boards are an unexpected choice yet they work brilliantly to connect all the characters and define the space in which they move. And you've done a great job of capturing that movement. The distant dancer does look a little too faded and almost transparent due to that pale blue blending into the mist but on the other hand I suppose it does add to the depth of the image.
I think the way that you've included all of the themes is wonderfully imaginative and quirky, and that looming gaze of the great ape is brilliantly surreal and creepy.

And Atto, I love the atmospheric mood you've captured in your image. The consistent colour scheme looks really authentic (as do all the textures, from the rusty girders to the rough fabric of the denim) and it all gives the impression of being a frame from a gritty "alternative" superhero movie. The only thing I'd like to tweak is the pigeon, I'd love it if it was a little further to the right so that the head was in front of that diagonal girder. But its presence is a great addition and the expression of it looking on at the guy as if saying, "What the hell are YOU doing here?" introduces a bit of irreverent humour to the scene.

So, overall, I'm gonna go for Atto. As well as the technical achievements of the texture and the filmic depth of field, I think also that the picture manages to include the random elements without being dependent on them for explanation, and to me that always seems like the biggest success of "random" challenges. It works as an image without any extra commentary whereas oaktree's pic seems to indulge a bit more in the odd subjects and my own painting would probably just provoke a confused expression and the questions of What? and Why? :lol:

So I vote Atto.

02 Feb 2019 19:47 #23649 by oaktree
You guys do not make it easy . I like both of your images Valence the apes expression and the fire you have going on are just great. Atto I agree with valence about the position of the pigeon and his other comments about the image I am also happy you went with the out of focus background.

My vote goes to Atto

03 Feb 2019 01:53 #23657 by Atto
Needs to be a quick one this month as I need sleep and I’m pretty busy over the next few days.

Val, love it! Oak, love it too. This month I’ve voted for Val, just because those flames have kept me warm during the blizzards (3cm or so) we’ve been having that equate to the great British winter. Still love that spider on fire, bottom left, though Oak!

15 Feb 2019 17:05 #23803 by Banj
We appear to be a bit late with closing this off, but this months winner is Valence. Congratulaltions Valence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

15 Feb 2019 18:15 #23804 by Charlotte
Again!? :ohmy:
Congrats Val! :D

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

16 Feb 2019 14:11 #23818 by Atto
Congratulations again Val! Thanks for the feed back on my entry and I agree with you on the pigeon but as I moved him along that girder enlarging and shrinking him his head always hit that upper girder because of the extreme perspective.