April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Sept. 2014 Challenge - The Wrath of Kat

03 Oct 2014 16:23 #6493 by AngieA
1/ Banj. It meets the brief perfectly. Your character is strong and I just love that dramatic Hamlet like pose with the bird skull, it sells the story so well.

2/ SchizophreniaWolf. I still think it's more Wars than Trek but you pulled it around so well with the costume changes and back story. Also he's just so adorably cute yet still megalomaniacal looking. Very nicely painted too.

3/ Kodabble. Great dynamic pose and blending of Ricardo's Khan with the challenge brief. I really like the look, it reminds me a little of He-Man too. It was a toss up between you and Schiz for second place but the lack of a full body as per the brief swung it his way.

Valence- firstly thank you for giving everyone such wonderful feedback, I wish I had that skill. The only reason that I didn't place you was because the head and torso view that you went with did not meet the challenge brief. I think you did an amazing job on getting the proud expression of Ricardo while still maintaining the very lion like features. Your studies and work on that aspect paid off.

Oaktree- I do wish you had been able to finish your entry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Oct 2014 14:24 - 05 Oct 2014 14:26 #6505 by microscopi
1 - Banj : Really cool character and pose, detail looks amazing and well drawn! Thought it really fit the brief well too.

2 - Schizo: Very awesome character! I like the humor in the dimensions of the char and he looks so detailed and polished! Really cool.

3 - Kod: Really awesome all the detail you put into yours, and the colors are vibrant, so sharp and crisp, really dig that.

Angie: Great looking character, the background really brings a lot to the mood, looking awesome, I think the colors really work well too.

Valence: Great character, really well drawn and lots of detail, you can def see a resemblance to Khan.

05 Oct 2014 15:17 #6507 by Charlotte
I'm gonna leave the vote open for a while longer. I really think we can do better than 5 voters. But how long do you need/want? We (the mods) have been discussing not leaving the votes open for a week like we did in the old forum, but perhaps it has to be done? Or perhaps it's just that people haven't been around as much since the trouble with the login...? (and yes, I'll allow some discussion in the finals thread for once. At least if you have voted or vote when you post...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

05 Oct 2014 15:49 #6509 by oaktree
This was a hard choice for me but here it is.

1 banj
2 AngieA
3Valence

Great work all.
Charlotte thanks you for waiting for my vote.

05 Oct 2014 20:12 #6511 by Kodabble
Sorry I’m late, :blush: “Thanks Charlotte for keeping this open a little longer.”
And now to the voting!
Argh!!! :pinch: This is hard. Everyone is so unique and has a different style. I do like them all.
So basing this on the following …
1 SchizophreniaWolf: Like the comic style it fits in with the other members of the Enterpond story
2 Valence: This captures the look of the Richardo Montalban look
3 Banj: For the idea of using Shere Khan as Khan with coat reminiscent of the TV series also like the bird skull
AngieA: I liked your use of the new film Khan.
Anyway great job everyone.

06 Oct 2014 11:17 #6514 by Digital Dave
Nice works everyone.

1 - Schizo
2 - Banj
3 - Valence

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

06 Oct 2014 12:32 #6519 by SchizophreniaWolf
1. Kodabble: The retro-style, very cool. I talked about He-man earlier. Nice one.
2. Banj: Not so the character itself but the way its painted, very stable and controled. It could be me but I miss some expression in the eyes.
3. AngieA: Don't like the pose, it is stiff. But I do like the use of textures and special brushes, it is very sketchy and still it look refined somehow. I also think the haircut is very original for an anthropomorphic cat.

Charlotte Ahlgren: I think one week of voting should stay, but maybe send people a reminder somehow. But I also would like a jury of Administrators (Charlotte Ahlgren, Banj and kazky?) that determine 50% of the voting. So 50% vote of the members combined with 50% vote Administrators. So you have more the feeling that the site has bigger say about who should be in the top 3. Just an idea. I don't know :blush:

11 Oct 2014 10:19 #6562 by Charlotte
OK, this was a bit more than a week :P But as no more votes seem to be incoming, I've tallied them up, and the result is this:

AngieA 7
SchizophreniaWolf 13
Valence 3
Banj 17
Kodabble 8

And the September winner is... Banj! Congrats! :)

Some comments:
Valence, I appreciate you voted inspite of finding it difficult. As you may have noticed from others' comments they find it difficult to vote too, but the more people who vote, the better and the fairer the vote. In the old forum when there were few participants and very few voters people would sometimes win simply by not voting and that just seemed so unfair.

(I mean if you have three entries and the other two participants vote and can't vote for themselves, they have to vote for you, and then if you chose not to vote, you basically give yourself two or three points by NOT giving your competition those points. It just seems rude when they were nice enough to give points to you... In my opinion.)

Wolf, thanks for being the only one so far to comment on voting times. I guess we'll let it remain a week then :)
Regarding the idea that admin would decide 50 % of the vote, we'd really rather not since we do want to feel free to participate in the challenges ourselves from time to time and then such a rule would become very awkward :P

According to Banj we *might* be able to set up some sort of notification system about voting in the V2 of this forum, but we can't promise anything yet. Though while we only have monthlies, it being a new month should perhaps be a clue? ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

11 Oct 2014 14:31 #6565 by Kodabble
Congrats Banj., it is a fun image. :cheer:

As for the voting; during a prior voting I commented on the lack of votes and asked if there could be a button added to the top bar (or now that there is a display portion for the winners add a link) that could be activated when it is time to vote "Time to Vote". It was pointed out that it was under consideration but that it might take some time, also I can see where it might be a bit complex to make it only active during voting :?
Anyway think about it... :dry:

11 Oct 2014 16:27 #6571 by Banj
Thanks for the votes, I was sure the wolfman had it.

A notification thingamy is definitely planned, I'm working out the best way to implement it so it's easy to set up and deal with.