April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN June 2016 Cleric of the Moon God Lûne - WIP

23 Jun 2016 01:07 #13927 by hansnomad
Thanks for your kind comments all.

Tyl: Great progress. The hand is not that bad. To be honest, i didn't pick it up at all--I was admiring the face.

Here's some progress of the painting under the sketch. Spent too much time on the face because I was trying to get the colors right. Doing night themes is always hard for me because I don't do too many and the change in color scheme to give the appearance of reduced light throws me until I find the right combination that matches the look in my head. This one is driving me nuts but I think I can live with the colors.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jun 2016 12:52 #13928 by hansnomad

Nice work, hansnomad.
I am envious of your intricate well-controlled sketches.I just never have the patience to do that kind of thing. I don't know how you resist the urge to quickly scribble and paint! :lol:

Thanks, Valence. It's easier with a digital tablet because I would never have the patience otherwise. I just keep sketching over previous sketches on a new layer over and over (keeping what I like and changing what I don't) until I get to a point where I think it's clean enough. No way I would work like that on paper (I know people that do, I just don't have the patience to redraw from scratch over and over like that before painting). I think it's called lack of discipline. :whistle:

Cherry and Charlotte--hope you guys are still working on your concepts. Looking forward to see more.

23 Jun 2016 13:31 #13930 by Valence
hansnomad: If you feel a bit awkward with blue/night pictures it might be useful to just do a quick colour sketch with a "normal" familiar palette that you feel more comfortable with and then use the Photo Filter adjustment to shift it to a darker, bluer tone. This can then give you some ideas about which colours will work in your gradients.
Quite a lot of "night" scenes in tv shows and movies are done this way and are actually filmed in daylight and then colour corrected afterwards to give it that moonlit look.

23 Jun 2016 13:42 #13931 by hansnomad
Valence, that's a really good idea.

I think I'll push myself to work with these colors at this point, but will definitely use that approach in the future. I think my current colors are over-saturated for a night scene, but I can fix that at the end with a quick Photoshop adjustment.

24 Jun 2016 11:14 #13933 by Charlotte
I kind of hope there will be more finished entries too, but I doubt mine will be among them. I haven't had much time for painting and won't have until later in July. Maybe I'll manage a better come back next month! :P

Nice tip about the night colours, Val :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

24 Jun 2016 15:39 #13951 by Tyl
hansnomad: rendering looks good.
I rendered some more detail. The braids, some design in the clothing. A jewel (depicting a woman holding a bowl, inspired on hansnomads painting).

Attachments:

25 Jun 2016 21:34 #13959 by Valence
That detailing looks good, Tyl. Some lovely edges and textures there.

I haven't done anything at all this month, far too much football on TV. But I did get to have a scribble the other day.

Not much of a story. Just a figure with a moon-like orb and maybe some magic lightning from the hands.
As you can see, my sketch is just as detailed and intricate as hansnomad's! :lol:
Like Charlotte, I may not finish (I'll have to do some hands first!) and if I do it'll probably stay sketchy, but I'll give it a go if I find time.
Attachments:

28 Jun 2016 12:23 - 28 Jun 2016 13:27 #14021 by CherryGraphics
Missed me? :P
These were really heavy days at last. Musicals, theatre, concerts, sun and sun and sun ... and I spent a lot of time researching for a new story I'm writing. But I love this topic, and I had to come back to this painting. :)

Tyl this is a really nice portrait of a cleric woman. It looks like a book illustration because of his textures. Maybe it's somehow static at the moment but I guess it will rock at the end :)

Hans the sketch was adorable! loved both of them but the more steampunk version is a good choice. the blue colors push the mood forward!

Worked on mine, still a lot to do but hey... I still have two days, haven't I? :woohoo:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

28 Jun 2016 23:35 #14023 by Valence
Everyone missed you, Cherry! :P
You sound like you've been having fun. :) And you've got me wondering what your story is about. Do tell. But don't give away the ending. ;)

Nice background colours in your picture. That warm pink is a beautiful choice and I love the detailed petals, especially the way some are sharp and others blurred. It gives it a sense of depth that stylized images often lack.
I think you'll be able to finish just fine in two days.

29 Jun 2016 05:32 #14024 by CherryGraphics
Right answer Val :D
Ehm .. okay ... the story is about a woman, who lost her husband by an accident. she falls into depression and one day she discovers a hole in the wall under the stairway in her house where she falls into another world, searching for her husband. there's also a dog included and another man and .. I can't say too much. :D

and thanks a lot :)
As I see I totally forgot to say something to your sketch - shame on me.. I like the dramatic pose and the extraordinary look of your ... what .. man... creature? :silly:
the lighting looks terrific.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance