April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN August 2014 Challenge - Ode to Banj - WIPs

06 Aug 2014 17:46 #4903 by Banj

Queen Cat is based on Banj's cat - according to Banj she (?) is grumpy and uncuddly and keeps him from ever sleeping.

Poor little man, he is actually very cuddly, definitely a lap cat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2014 17:54 #4906 by Charlotte
So it should have been King Cat - just doesn't sound right, though. :P
and it's nice to hear something nice about the little one for once!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

06 Aug 2014 22:17 - 06 Aug 2014 23:51 #4912 by Digital Dave

I've realised that I forgot to mention the queen's Head of Security Hal in the brief. He's optional too, I guess :)

And Dave, for the record I love the cat queen's facepalm look. :P

Thanks, Charlotte. I was thinking 'she who's now a he' was thinking 'will ya look at these idiots!' :D But think I still need to tweak the face. As you've pointed out before in another image, I think it's looking a little dog like. Thinking maybe I'm making the muzzle too elongated for a cat?

And I actually thought you left HAL out on purpose, since his creation may be a separate challenge. But don't think I could get him in there without making it look too crowded though.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

07 Aug 2014 00:16 - 07 Aug 2014 00:28 #4914 by microscopi
Great looking characters Dave, I think the expression on the queen (aka king :S ) looks great, really like the shadows and reflections you added,
Mute cool character, looking solid, really like the brush strokes and detail, the wheel idea is awesome
Kod really cool concept pic, I like the design a lot
Claude great looking start, like the depth and character design.

Incorporated the perspective idea, thanks Kod :lol: I think I might put each one of those characters on a separate petal, that would be a big challenge for someone that has little experience with characters. I am struggling trying to make my knight more realistic and less cartoony but i'm thinking about the background too, might make it egyption, like the gold and red.

Attachments:

07 Aug 2014 01:17 #4915 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Micro. Liking the POV on yours. I think you could even make Banj lager if ya wanted, being he's so close to the viewer. But it's up to you though. Look forward to seeing how ya tackle it. :)

Thanks, Kodabble. Yeah, I will probably have to look into working on the face expression some more when I work him up. Just roughed it in, but was trying for a disbelief/disgusted look, like he's surrounded by fools. :) ... Like the jousting design you decided to go with. Look forward to an update.

Thanks again.

Claude, that's look pretty cool. The layout works well and coming along nicely. The only thing you may want to look at, is that right now, it's hard to see which weapon he's holding, because they are both so close to each other.

Mute, like others have mentioned, the ball idea is a great idea. And it's looking quite good.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

07 Aug 2014 04:42 #4917 by bergy68

WIP 2

Playing around with putting him in a hamster ball because it's funny to me. He isn't much of a threat if you can just kick him out of the way.

Lmao!! Fantastic Mute. I hope the Oil' Fella isn't getting to ditzy and all being tossed around all the time. :P

07 Aug 2014 09:15 #4922 by SchizophreniaWolf
Kodabble
Haha no problem, I do Happy-happy Joy-joy stuff too now and then :lol: I was just in the mood for some epic over te topness now, with beast an dblood and anti-hero slowly going insane, walking the edge of ethics.

Digital Dave
Many thanks for the info. :silly: you just made me very happy-happy joy-joy!

Charlotte Ahlgren
Also big thanks!

microscopi
Haha idd.

mute827
that looks great :woohoo: , funny idea man

Banj
Hahaha, the queen-cat is a he! That does it, transvestite cats. No Charlotte Ahlgren :lol: he's a queen! Too late to change it, hihi

07 Aug 2014 17:33 - 07 Aug 2014 17:37 #4943 by Kodabble
Digital Dave. No if you are going for the SCAR "I'm surrounded by Idiots" look I think you got it spot on. Or maybe it's "I'm a boy cat, what do I do with all my dresses"

Attachments:

07 Aug 2014 21:13 #4954 by oaktree
Trying a different approach to this one. I have been struggling all week to set up an idea for this topic. To my mind the challenge has been set up in mystery, this is my attempt at depicting it as such. I think all of the major characters are depicted as well as a great wheel that has been worn out.
Great start from from everyone. Loving the different ideas.
Attachments:

08 Aug 2014 03:37 - 08 Aug 2014 03:55 #4968 by microscopi
Looking great Oak, really like the mood and colors so far, perspective is cool too.

Decided to start over, wasn't digging my first idea.

Attachments: